1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal to Utah - a short long weekend

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by roundtripping, Jun 29, 2010.

1. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    The morning of 6/26 I'm very tired. Which isn't really anything out of the ordinary. I can usually make myself get up fairly early if the occasion demands it, but it doesn't make me any less sleepy once up. So, if you take a good look at this picture and then factor in the sleepiness, you may be able to figure out that my mouth didn't taste very good the rest of this day. It was smooth as a baby's butt though.

[​IMG]
  2. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! And I agree, fall or spring would probably be a smarter choice for this trip, unless you like riding around panting for air most of the time :lol3

I should mention, that during the whole trip I carried plenty of water with me, not only that but I actually drank the majority of it and kept refilling.
  3. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride Joakim! I wish I could have gone with you :cry
  4. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Thanks Duy! Next time! :thumb
  5. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    So there I was, mouth full of normal-to-dry skin lotion and ready to backtrack a little and go check out the Natural Bridges National Monument.

[​IMG]

I didn't really know what to expect from this and as it turns out you really need to be prepared to do a bit of hiking to get the full experience of the natural bridges. With my crippled toe and dressed up in motorcycle gear this turned out to be a bit of a bust for me. You live and you learn. Also, the gnats in the park were fierce. Someone told me they've been known to eat busloads of Japanese tourists in mere seconds. Well OK, I made that up. But they were pretty bad.

I did get one picture, barely worthy of posting.

[​IMG]

So I turned the Austrian workhorse south on the 261 instead and headed off toward the Valley of the Gods. Here's the cross-roads where I sold my soul to the Devil, I figured since I was heading to the Valley of the Gods next I could redeem myself there?

[​IMG]

This is actually right where Mulie Pt Rd and the 261 intersect. If you take MPR you'll get to see the grand Goosenecks. That sounded fowl to me so I skipped it and continued on the 261, which at this point turned to dirt.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8YyWKXHhGgc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8YyWKXHhGgc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  6. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Just 1000 ft from where the dirt turns to pavement again, you make a left onto Valley of the Gods Rd which is all dirt.

Almost right away you'll run into this.

[​IMG]

Valley of the Gods B&B :D The house is actually visible from the dirt road but for some reason I didn't get a good pic of it.

I continued on....

[​IMG]

One of the Gods?

[​IMG]

The dirt was in really good condition. I was having a lot of fun and saw about 60 mph quite a few times... :shog

[​IMG]
  7. dlow

dlow old guy

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. Jrmobb

Jrmobb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, i just got done with a 7K miles trip in the my truck a few days ago. I went through all the parks in utah. It really is amazing out there. Enjoy it and keep posting!
  9. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's breathtaking. :thumb
  10. KneeDragGirl

KneeDragGirl Heather Bear

Oddometer:
    Fun report! Loved the video....very creative!

Was born and raised in Utah and there is something so magical and untouched about those parts you have visited.

Glad you got to do a solo ride and just clear your head. No better place to do it!
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moved to Day Trippin'
  12. 2fast4ewe

2fast4ewe n00b

Oddometer:
    I love Utah. Every ride I go on seems to have it as the focal point. Great report, makes me want to saddle up and tough out the heat.
    :1drink :thumb :clap