SoCal Trippin' and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderfully done as usual Rudy.

Next time you're in the Coachella Valley area and you want to mix it up a bit, Dillon Rd north of the 10 will link you to Berdoo Canyon Rd. This'll get you into Joshua Tree NP through a pretty cool little canyon, nothing overly major, quite doable. I've done it on my XL250 many times and in the Jeep once. Gets a bit sandy once your in the NP, but it's something you may like.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/berdoo-canyon-road-drive

While I've been there many times, it's been a few years since I've visited Salvation Mountain. My first trip way back when, Leonard was still there out working his mountain. I didn't talk to him, he was very involved in his 'work'. The place is looking refreshed from the last time I was there, possibly the volunteers are keeping the dream alive.

From a few years back, It was looking tired, lots of erosion.

[​IMG]

BTW, next time you're through Borrego, check out Font's Pt. Yeah it's sandy as all hell, but the payoff is awesome!
    https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/borrego-badlands-font’s-point

[​IMG]

Thank you again Rudy for the wonderful posts in your thread, you're covering our beautiful deserts fantastically!!

klaviator, bobw, popscycle and 5 others like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip(s) Sam... Font's Point looks really interesting, from satellite view, seems you can ride just short of the point and there is a parking area at the top...

I did a map recon of Borrego Springs and I want to camp out for a couple of days (away from town) and take some photos of the stars, and catch some sunrises/sunsets out there...

Also, I just bought my CA State Parks and America the Beautiful passes online so I can conduct multi-day excursions into the deserts/parks... I'm really stoked and looking forward to them arriving...
    sealsam, Zubb and Wierdrider like this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I had a blast. Was having so much fun I kept forgetting to stay aware of my surroundings.
    [​IMG]
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I need this truck.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet we just scratched the surface exploring Borrego Springs... I know I'll be returning there when I get my passes...
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 23 Nov 2018

Getting some moto therapy...

I took a late afternoon ride with the Enduro today and ended up at the beach for some sunset photos... I wanted to get out and do a shakedown ride so I can get a feel for the Enduro's ergos to see what needed adjustment. I received my America the Beautiful National Parks pass today so I wanted to make sure the bars and gear shift were in the correct position for off-road riding... after getting home, I had to rotate the bars forward a bit so the wrist weren't in a 90 deg bend while standing on the pegs... all good-to-go for some off-road fun...
    1.jpeg

3.jpeg

2.jpeg
  7. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Your stable offers such a great selection to choose from :beer

I have been looking at a "midsize" in order to save a bit of mass from the GSA with the very competent 7XX-9XX offerings we're seeing now, but I am still in "kid in the candy store" mode with the full figured girls still tempting me more than ever. Now that I have once again publicly declared what a bike slut I am :D, I very much look forward to your thoughts on how the bikes are similar, unique, well thought out in design and application and/or not!

Cheers
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
    That Duc is drop dead gorgeous Rudy. You have a helluva harem there, hope you can keep em all satisfied.
    black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I plan to downsize the stable down to three next summer and have been reading about possible replacements geared more towards a dirt orientation. I like KTM's 450/500 EXC-Fs so far for their featherweight and ease of maintenance when it comes to valve checks - though the maintenance intervals will be increased since they are basically race bikes... these new midsize offerings from Katoom's 790, Moto Guzzi V85, BMW's new 850 GS, and even the distant Yamaha T7 looks really promising but I want to stay away from the "gigabyte tech" they now possess in case I have to do trail side fixes. That's the main reason I love the KLR - I can break it down shotgun style and put it back together again for the next ride... The Honda CRF 450L Rally concept also looks interesting but I'll have to read up on the specs as they become available...

good hunting with the next bike...
    :beer
    Wierdrider, B10Dave and bobw like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a calendar that I log when each bike goes out to make sure none of them are neglected... obviously the KLR acts an advance party to scout the trails ahead of time... but lately I have been aching to take the GSA and Enduro off-road in Death Valley... likely the Enduro will go out next since I still need to put new shoes on the GSA... I'm thinking Shinko 804/805s...
    Zubb, dmulk, Wierdrider and 2 others like this.
  11. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    I don't own Borrego , but I live there in the winter. I believe Font's point has a sign, no motorcycles. I like to respect the desert, we are losing too many places to ride.
    black 8 likes this.
  12. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting then that the link provided above to visitcalifornia.com mentions using 4WD vehicles to visit Font's Point. The website isn't a CA gov site, and could be wrong. If in fact road-legal 4WD vehicles are permitted to go there, I don't know that it is either 1)legal or 2) reasonable to ban road-legal motorcycles from going there. Dirt bikes are likely the intended audience of a sign banning motorcycles, even if that is not how it turned out in reality. The problem with shrinking riding areas is that responsible motorcyclists are not getting together to let their voices be heard in opposition to a closure often enough.
    eaglescan and black 8 like this.
  13. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get the concern...

In all the research that I've done about Font's Point, nowhere does it state that motorcycles are prohibited from transiting Font's Point Wash to the parking area just below Font's Point... but just to make sure I'll call the Anza Borrego Springs Visitor Center today before I get out there again...

link to the CA State Parks

FP.Entrance.jpg Untitled.jpg Font's Point.png
    eaglescan likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 26 Nov 2018

Teakettle Junction and The Racetrack Playa...

Two things helped my decision for a second round of Death Valley explorations; the receipt of my National Parks pass last Friday and the pending suspension of my Spot X Flex Plan account on 28 Nov (I won't need it again until early spring of 2019). I was already in the planning stages of my trip when I received a PM from fellow inmate rickj for an impromptu overnight at Stovepipe Wells... We coordinated via PM's and phonecalls deciding on an early 0500 departure from Temecula so we could get some breakfast at the Outpost Cafe just off US-395...
    1.jpg

sunrise at the I-15/215 merge...
    2.jpg

we took a different route by taking Wildrose Rd and Emigrant Canyon Rd bypassing Panamint Valley Rd into Stovepipe Wells... something different with a view...
    3.jpg

4.jpg
    B10Dave, bobw, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For this trip I thought I'd try out one of mirrorless cameras, a Fuji X-T1, as a lighter alternative to my Nikon D800...

we stopped at the top of Emigrant Pass to soak in the view and take a couple of photos...
    5.jpg

when we arrived we saw another rider on a BMW R1200 RT sitting in the rocks belong just relaxing and looking out in the expense of what is Death Valley... this was the view...
    6.jpg

7.jpg

Don (right) arrived at Stovepipe Wells shortly after we did... Don brought along his pop-up camper and his GSA on the bed of his F-350 to get some riding in. That was a nifty contraption that loads/unloads a bike using a winch in the bed without putting any pressure on the tailgate... makes loading/unloading a one man operation (unless you are on uneven terrain)...
    8.jpg

After we got camp set-up, we suited up for a ride into Panamint Springs to get "lobotomized"with some Lobotomy Bock - a tradition that Rick and Don have been carrying on for years past... We slowly enjoyed our lobotomy on the porch at Panamint Springs Resort while viewing Death Valley's landscape and the roaring of F-18s making their low level passes in the valley... We caught up with each other since our last time together at Panamint Springs in April... afterwards it was back to Stovepipe Wells for some burgers at the Saloon and we finished the evening back at camp listening to classic rock, sipping on some more adult beverages, some great conversation...
  16. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 27 Nov 2018

Day 2... After breakfast at the Toll Road Restaurant, we did separate rides with me heading to The Racetrack while Rick and Don explored the ghost town at Cerro Gordo. Our plan was to meet back up at camp around 3pm so Rick and I could make our way back to San Diego...
    1a.jpg
    klaviator likes this.
  17. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The entrance to Racetrack Valley Rd is located at the base of Ubehebe Crater, they have a parking area to view the crater that gives a good vantage point to see the valley below...

Ubehebe Crater...
    10.jpg

view of the valley below... you can see a pickup truck entering Racetrack Valley Rd...
    9.jpg

last time the Duc will be this clean after The Racetrack run...
    11.jpg

this is what you can expect from Racetrack Valley Rd... loose gravel throughout captured from my GoPro 4 mounted on the front crash bars
    12.jpg

My GoPro 6 died early and I couldn't figure out why so I used my backup GoPro 4. I thought the battery had just died but after troubleshooting when I got home, come to find out the battery vibrated loose...
  18. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    some glamour shots...
    13.jpg

traffic goes both direction on this road unlike Titus Canyon Rd so watch the corners...
    14.jpg

finally arrived at Teakettle Junction...
    15.jpg

16.jpg
  19. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

The Racetrack just ahead...
    a.jpg
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    21.jpg

The Grandstand rock formations in the middle of The Racetrack Playa...
    22.jpg

DSCF0578.jpg

23.jpg