SoCal Trippin' and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finished exploring The Racetrack at about 1:10pm so I had about 50 minutes to make it out of Racetrack Valley Rd... and another 45 miles to Stovepipe Wells... it was boogey time since I still had to make it back by 3pm to link up with Rick and Don at camp... it was game on heading back... My ride out was faster than my ride in, probably helped that I wasn't stopping every few miles to take photos. I manage to hit my time hacks heading out and was back on Scotty's Castle Rd by 2pm for the 45 mile ride back to camp... I arrived at about 2:45 with the camp empty. Rick had sent me a text saying they were in Lone Pine and were still two hours away from arrival... Rick decided to stay another night since they were getting back late and further texted to go without him... I dumped my rotopax in the tank and lube the chain one last time for the ride home. The ride was uneventful and I was home by 8pm that night...
    25.jpg

I have a journal that sits on my desk at home containing moto routes, packing lists, moto tire specs/prices from different vendors, and all things moto related - - but most importantly places that are on my bucket list... In the last couple of months with my trips to the PNW and Death Valley, I have managed to cross off about half on my current list... I read as many ride reports that interests me so I can glean new places to add to my bucket list... pretty soon I'll have to make a new list... I have pushed these last couple of months riding to these places knowing that as we head into the Holidays, my riding will be non-existent while visiting family back on the east coast... but the following year will bring another set of adventures... looking forward to it...
    26.jpg

until next time...
    :beer
    bobw, Bigbob1, Square1 and 5 others like this.
  2. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome post.....San Diego has great geographic area to explore....nicely done!! Look forward to more!!
    black 8 likes this.
  3. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Just another great report, and super sharp pictures. cheers
    black 8 likes this.
  4. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home safe. It was great riding out to DV with you, and sorry for not making our 3:00 pm rendez-vous at Stovepipe Wells. After riding the road up to the Cerro Gordo ghost town and climbing around the hills for hours I was pretty tired, which is why I decided to spend one more night and come back this morning. Cerro Gordo was spectacular, but the road up to it pretty torn up. The one guy that works there told us that the county (Independence) was going to be grading it soon.

Great write-up and pictures as usual!
    bobw and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just recently discovered a closer playground called Borrego Springs so I can't wait to explore that in the future...
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steve... hope to meet with you in Borrego after the new year once I get back from vacation...

Rudy
    eaglescan likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Likewise Rick, I really appreciate the camaraderie that you and Don have given me every time we ride together... sorry I couldn't stay longer either but I had to get home as part of my "happy wife happy life" campaign by ensuring the grass REMAINS green...

No worries about the 3pm link up, I'm glad that you and Don had a great time at Cerro Gordo...
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Yes I will be looking for you in the new year. Heading to El Centro for 5 weeks , then BS. Let's hope it rains a little , I hear you don't like sand, a good rain will change the riding conditions.
    black 8 likes this.
  9. benwiggin2

benwiggin2 Brock Warwick

Oddometer:
    Hi Danman!
  10. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 1 Dec 2018

GP's grand re-opening...

GP Motorcycles is downtown San Diego's purveyor of fine European two wheeled therapeutic machines... Over the years I've bought my fair share from Paul Lima and when the invites went out to the customer's, I wanted to come by and congratulate Paul on the grand re-opening. It was a good reason to take the Enduro on a leisurely ride along the coast down to San Diego. It was a gorgeous day to ride with temps in the mid-60s... riding along the coast is one of my indulgences where I just soak in the freedom, sights, and smells. No other way to put it...

taken in Oct of 2017 when I bought the Guzzi and Giant Photo Service still owned the building adjacent to GPMC.... GP's service department is located just to the right of Giant Photo of this photo...
    2.JPG

this was after the expansion project...
    1.jpg

the old showroom before the expansion project... (stock photo)...
    3.jpg

GP's new found real estate...
    4.jpg

I stayed for a while and drooled at the Huskys and KTMs, they were having a blowout overstock sale of 2018 models... I took a Husky FE 450 off the kickstand to get a feel for the weight and holy crap that was light... after feeling like a kid in a candy store, I headed back up north to Oceanside via the I-15...