SoCal Trippin' and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 29 Jan 2019

Getting back into shape for 2019...

I did the "see diet" over the Holidays while visiting family back east and now it's time to shed some retirement weight in preparation for future rides... I've only had to pick up the KLR a couple of times off-road and that was a chore... so I'm doing some training just in case I have to pick up the Beemer or the Duc on a trail somewhere. Mrs B8 bought this mountain bike for me to give my quads a workout and get the blood circulating... 30 years of running has taken it's toll on the knees and ankles so this is a better alternative to get some fresh air...
    1.jpg

At least I'm getting out and playing in the hills... after a couple of hours playing up here, my legs felt like spaghetti when I got back to the house...
    3.jpg

Even saw this Bison while I was out this morning...
    4.jpg

to supplement the quad workouts, I'm doing five sets of deadlifts at 12 reps each to build some strength in my legs...
    IMG_0932.jpg

at some point I'll be laying down the goose in the yard to practice this...
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an excellent plan Rudy, I changed my diet ( low carb/Keto ) back in mid Julyish and have dropped 60-70lbs. I’ve only ridden the mountain bike a few times, and started a weight lifting routine. I then tweaked something a couple of months ago doing squats ( wrong ). I’ll be getting back to lifting soon.
    Here I am back in 2015, 56228696-83EC-4BCD-A770-B2435338F7FE.jpeg Here’s from a couple of weeks ago.
    Cheers, Jim 14ACF041-E96E-4569-BC10-76DA274B2FBC.jpeg
    The Virginian, krautman, Zubb and 4 others like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    D@mn Jim that's outstanding!

I just started my routine a couple of days ago and my goal is to pick up the goose five times in a row with a ten minute rest in between each attempt to let the quads recover. I'll attempt that goal on 1 May 2019 just before I make my annual adventure ride somewhere...

Thanks for the motivation!

:beer
    sealsam, klaviator and Wierdrider like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a great plan Rudy. I had to give up running a few years ago, my knees just said NO! I walk a lot and ride my bicycle some. I need to ride more and start lifting weights. I'm hoping to find more time and motivation when I retire. Under 40 days to work but who's counting:D
    B10Dave, Chillis, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was stationed with a reserve unit in Anchorage, AK... I lifted weights regularly during the work week. We had a gym just above my office and I would go there during lunch time and work on different muscle groups each day... After 9 months I was able to bench 325 lbs, but at the expense of my right rotator cuff... I had to stop before it got worse... Needless to say I can't bench that much anymore... I just need to maintain the muscles that I have while in my retirement years...

~ Sarcopenia - From the time you are born to around the time you turn 30, your muscles grow larger and stronger. But at some point in your 30s, you start to lose muscle mass and function. The cause is age-related sarcopenia or sarcopenia with aging. Physically inactive people can lose as much as 3% to 5% of their muscle mass each decade after age 30. Even if you are active, you’ll still have some muscle loss. There’s no test or specific level of muscle mass that will diagnose sarcopenia. Any loss of muscle matters because it lessens strength and mobility. Sarcopenia typically happens faster around age 75. But it may also speed up as early as 65 or as late as 80. It’s a factor in frailty and the likelihood of falls and fractures in older adults.
    sealsam and Wierdrider like this.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Free tip of the day . . .

Turning back the clock - by Dr. Bob Arnot

I had this book 20 years ago. It's time to buy it again and apply the wisdom.

It's a little dated, but the premise and psychology is fantastic.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you buy this so I can borrow it.
    brianpeck likes this.
  8. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 4 Feb 2019

Alright already with all this rain!!! :dirtdog

We've been getting hammered with heavy rain for the past few days, so much so that a sink hole developed on the ONLY road that leads up to my neighborhood... Now we're stuck until they can build a one lane bridge to allow traffic to flow since the condition of the soil is in question under the asphalt... I feel sorry for all the people that drove out this morning to work, they had to park their cars on the other side of the sink hole this evening and walk home - same with all the kids that went to school... This really puts a damper on getting out for some riding! I'll try to get out whenever this stuff gets patched up...
    :becca
    Carnes_Rd_Collapse (1).jpg
    The Virginian likes this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    rev it up, drop the clutch and pick a line. You can do it!!
  10. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    I just saw that on the news a couple minutes ago, they’ve closed the school!
    black 8 likes this.
  11. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They built a tactical bridge overnight to traverse the sink hole... HOWEVER, it's only meant for emergency vehicles - no through traffic is allowed until they make a decision.... For now all my vehicles are stuck on the uphill side until maintenance comes up with a game plan...

On the plus side I can ride one of my bikes down and tag a photo of "Show us your bike @ the bridge" HA... :jack

but seriously though, we are waiting on word to see what happens as this will put a damper on simple tasks like mail delivery and everyday errands... We do have shuttles running to help out like getting to the convenience store for bread, milk, and such. Luckily we have a good stock of food so we don't have to hoof it over to the grocery store...

51263741_10156165863337877_8680604379570503680_o.jpg
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish it were that easy :pynd... they have a road block with the base "po-po" on site...
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates on when they will fix this? How many people have their lives turned upside down by this?
    black 8 likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey klav,

we got some respite from the rain during these last couple of days which helped to facilitate temporary repairs and get mobility established between the cut-off areas... by tomorrow we should be able to transit through to the other side...

these were from the local press...
    1000w_q95.jpg

1000w_q95.jpg

but here's the rub... the rain is coming back again which will surely test the temporary repairs...
    Untitled (1).jpg

I'll post a pic once I break out the bikes... I just got a Catoma Falcon SpeeDome and have a Lone Rider tent coming... the Catoma Lone Rider was on clearance for $129.00 +shipping... Catoma Link

LoneRider2.jpg
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 Feb 2019

25 Mississippi...

I've been using surplus USGI camping gear during my moto-adventures... while it gets the job done, it's not the best tool for the task. I can recall waking up in the middle of the night shivering as the temps dropped below 30 deg on a couple of occasions during my PNW and Alaska trips. So in preparation for future rides up north, I've been hunting for some deals on eBay and Amazon... One of the items I acquired is a refurbished Klymit KSB 0 Down oversized bag. This thing is great! It gives me room at the shoulders to stretch my arms instead of sleeping like a King Tut. Plus there are stretch baffles that expand so I don't feel cramped as I move about during the night... Their Luxe quilted pillow and insulated sleeping pad were on sale so I bought them as well... It was time to upgrade my kit after all these years since my body doesn't bounce back like it used to... more like a worn out rubber band - stretched out and not yet cracking, that comes later...
    klymit_ksb_oversize_copy_copy.jpg

The other piece of kit I bid and won on eBay is a used Catoma Falcon SpeeDome that was used during wildfires, still in great shape... A few inmates steered me to this tent and when the opportunity presented itself, I didn't hesitate... Part of the problem when moto camping is setting up and tearing down the tent. I can remember getting caught in a downpour heading up to Lac La Hache and it was getting late so I found a campground to pitch my tent in the rain... that was no fun! Ever set up a tent in the rain with sweat rolling down your back cuz' your wearing a gortex suit (a blessing and curse)... Well this Catoma SpeeDome solves that problem. No more toiling while getting the hooch set up or broken down...

I watched the product video from Catoma this afternoon and I pitched the tent for the first time in the backyard. Once I opened the zipper I started counting one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi... and by the time I got to 25 Mississippi - the tent was assembled! It took me longer to put the rain fly on the tent adding another minute to assemble the poles and hook the sides down... The Catoma Lone Rider is said to take less effort at 10 seconds to fully assemble... more time to enjoy some adult beverages around the ole Paleolithic entertainment media...

The tent sleeps two people and gives me ample room to stretch out inside...
    1.jpg

2.jpg

you can see the amount of room I have inside... no more cramped space even with my moto gear stashed inside with me... I put my helmet, OGIO flight vest, moto jacket, a pad, and sleeping bag to give some perspective. I have plenty of room left over on either side of the sleeping bag for my tank bag and camera gear...
    3.jpg

To me half the fun is gathering your kit and putting it all together for the next set of adventures. The other half is using said kit to execute adventures that leaves an indelible impression to last a lifetime...

patiently counting down the days until spring arrives...

:beer
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice new camping setup Rudy. Enjoy the heck out of it. Have you decided Alaska or east yet for this year?
    black 8 likes this.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    8573C775-566F-4535-AE9F-CFC0F988EE26.jpeg Man Rudy...arent you retired? Tired of bending over? Its sooo easy to make life easy! Lol!!
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  18. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    What road is that? There were two sinkholes I heard of, one on W. Vista Way, in Vista, and one in Pendleton on Carnes. As you stated more rain on the way. Saturday and Sunday in SD.

Like that tent BTW, might have to check it out. Less time/hassle in setting up a tent is a big plus in my book.
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave,

I haven’t decided yet... I may push Alaska and Nova Scotia by a year... I’ll make that decision by mid-April or so...

I’ve been tossing around staying close to home this year while I save for a good down payment towards a Ural Gear Up. That would be a nice kicked back ride for Alaska and Nova Scotia... I’ll be downgrading this summer anyway to three bikes so the goose and the KLR may find themselves in news homes...

I’ve been looking at doing US 395 to Carson City for the Loneliest Road and then head up to Lewiston for the Old Spiral Hwy, the Palouse Region, and then south to Bryce, Zion, and finally Moab before heading home.
    6F804F7D-7E9F-4416-9934-C1F8705B43DF.jpeg
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eric, someone passed to me a long time ago “why stand when you can kneel, why kneel when you can sit, why sit when you can lie down” a play on Winston Churchill’s “Economy of Effort” quote...

I’m not there yet... or maybe I am if I get a hack...
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.