SoCal Trippin' and beyond...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s Carnes Rd, I live on Pendleton...
    Mr Head likes this.
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve heard the spiral hwy is cool. Cops keep an eye on it too. I want to do it too cause it is cool. If your headed there dont pass up riding to Burgdorf hotsprings and renting one of their minimalistic cabins and getting your fix of body wellness then ride north to Riggins on part of the IDBDR. Easy and oh so worth it. We did it last year and want to goback it was that cool. Most of the riding on the hwy’s north of Riggins is just awesome! IMHO!! And you mention MOAB... keep talking... when are you thinking? We most likely will be headed there May 5th? 3 step hideaway after the event going down and want to do the White Rim trail. Would be cool to cross paths with you Rudy!
    black 8 likes this.
  3. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:

EXACTLY :thumb

:beer
    black 8, klaviator and dano619 like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got caught up on your day trips and NF 264 by Riggins looks like a fun ride up... it's just a slight detour from the Old Spiral Hwy... :thumb
    2.jpg

I get ideas from reading other ride reports and when I see something I like, I jot it down on my green journal... Right now I'm dropping the "google dude" around Eastern WA and and Idaho...
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~10 Feb 2019

Freeeeeedooooom....

Just to recap; hammered by squalls Groundhogs Day weekend, sink hole appears Monday/4 Feb and we are cut-off, tactical bridge is built overnight but for emergency vehicle use only, Friday/8 Feb the "po-po" opens outbound and inbound traffic, Sun/10 Feb I get to throw a leg over the saddle for a ride (Sat was spent running errands; groceries, bank...etc). The maintenance crews were busy installing drain pipes to mitigate rain run-off and filling the sink hole. They patched it with metal plates for now to allow traffic to flow. The other reason I went out to ride on Sunday morning, the traffic on that makeshift two lane road was craziness on a whole other level with the whole community trying to get through...
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

they're also building an alternate one lane road to the left... once finished, traffic will be diverted to allow unhampered work on the main roadway... fun...fun...fun... with the amount of people that live up the hill and oh did I mention there is an Elementary School to the right where I took this photo... Monday morning work and school traffic will be "cray-cray"
    4.jpg
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing you are retired and can avoid rush hour through that area.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly...
  8. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Initially I started to ride south on the PCH but there were too many people out for 8:30am on a Sunday morning. I turned around to avoid suburbia and headed north on the I-5 to Las Pulgas. Riding north I was met with rain so thank goodness for Klim gear... just ride through... I decided to get off on a side road and just meander my way to this secluded beach and enjoy the scenery... At least I can get out of the neighborhood again and ride...

5.jpg

6.jpg

obligatory iPhone photo...
    7.jpg

I better get some more riding in tomorrow before the rain comes next week...
    Skooter, B10Dave, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this thread on many levels and I just got caught up. I'm very sorry to hear that Mrs. B8's father passed away. Both of my parents are gone and it has left a emptiness feeling in my heart over the years. Life is hard in this chapter of it so like you said, spend time with the ones that you have in your life while they're still here.

All the best,

Eric
    sealsam, dano619, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    yep, this chapter of life has some 'built in' sadness with the passing of parents, aunts and uncles. . . . and pets.
    klaviator, Project Mayhem and black 8 like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True True...

Life is too short... we spend our lives trying to make something of ourselves getting educated, choosing a career, and taking on a family. As we progress through life's rollercoaster of high and lows, we get engrossed in the daily grind of life a.k.a. the "rat race". Sh!t happens throughout life... and you can either get 'err done or wallow in self pity... I chose the former. I haven't had the experience of losing a parent but that day will come sooner or later. For now I just spend as much time as I can with loved ones and living life to the fullest because I know "life is short" and and you don't know when your number will come due.

Moreover, time seems to have sped up since my retirement four years ago. I can't believe my trip to Alaska was almost two years ago and trip to Key West a year ago! I know that time flies when your having fun so I best get cracking on my bucket list...

This year I'm thinking of a 30+ day Northwestern tour of these United States...
  12. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 12 Feb 2019

Trip to the candy store...

The KLR's battery had been acting up since my trip to Yuma's Ocean to Ocean Highway Bridge in late 2018 where I was forced to use the GSA instead. Well after that trip, I re-filled the battery's electrolytes for my excursion into Titus Canyon thinking that would do the trick. Before I departed for Christmas vacation however, I exercised the bikes but the KLR was a NO GO... Rocky Mountain ATV sells a Tusk replacement battery for $37.99 but was out of stock until January of 2019. Long story short, I finally replaced the battery yesterday after following the necessary steps for getting the new battery into service. When I removed the OEM battery, half the core was completely empty while the other two were half filled with electrolyte. This was even after I re-filled it for Titus Canyon... I didn't want to chance getting stranded so rather than re-fill it again, I just opted to install the new one...

Great reason to ride so I can get the KLR's juices flowing again and visit the candy store... I've read as much as I can about the Ural so now it's time to throw a leg over one... I thought I'd ride the PCH down to San Diego for some great views and smell the sea air...
    Untitled.jpg

this is winter in Southern California... one of the reasons I choose to pay California's outrageous tax codes... at least for now...
    1.jpg
  13. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, life is short....blink of an eye!! Looking forward to your upcoming trip to the north!!
    The Virginian and black 8 like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all her glory... a 2018 Ural Gear UP... all 749cc(s)... love the retro look, 2WD with reverse, boxer-like flat twin for easy maintenance, and 5 gal tank.... ooooooo but that 4 gear transmission leaves me wondering???? I've read that somewhere between 55-65mph is the recommended max speed... nonetheless this Hack is meant for back road exploration and is not a super slab mile muncher... I'm OK with that... It was weird throwing a leg over the saddle though, kinda cramp next to that side car... my foot was bangin' all over the place looking for the right foot peg. The seat was comfy but the reach to the handle bar was a tad low for my taste. I wonder if bar risers would work to solve that problem??? She's portly at 730 lbs dry (from a mpg point of view)... some inmates have reported getting between 24 and 30 mpg (so let's say 120 miles per tank)... I guess you can't expect any better with that big @$$ sidecar on the right hand side and that 749cc saying "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" with all that weight plus rider and cargo... :hmmmmm
    2.jpg

but look at all that storage space though...
    3.jpg

the other thing that caught my eye was this SWM RS500R... an Italian Company (with backing from China) using tooling that made Husky's... now this would be a good tool for any Death Valley excursion at 255 lbs...
    IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still making that final decision if I get the Ural or something else... we'll see in a couple of months...

Life is short and you can't take it with you - so I might as well enjoy it, living in the now, rather than have regrets later on... :ricky Mrs. B8 says there are no do-overs in life... and that we only have one shot at living life...
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might pick @DRONE brain on hacks. He’s a fellow inmate up here and has one wicked BMW. Hacks is what he does and I know he nor I could handle only doing 60-65 and being underpowered. Its worth a PM I suppose to put your mind at rest before stepping up..IMHO of course! Cheers Rudy!
    black 8 likes this.
  17. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul and I were talking about the great selection of bikes due for release in the near future with Katoom's 790 Adventure R, Moto Guzzi's V85 TT, and Triumph's new Scrambler 1200... I asked him when they would be available and he said with a smirk... "soon"... that they'll be available in about a week or so. I told him my next stop was the Triumph dealership to have a look...

sure enough, the new Scrambler 1200 XE was being off loaded when I arrived... some were still in boxes outside the dealership with others getting rolled into the shop... I got the chance to throw a leg over a Blue one and I was on the tips of my toes at 34.25 inches...
    IMG_0965.jpg

after wiping the drool from my mouth... I walked over to the Royal Enfield Himalayan... I've read good reviews online about this little 411cc bike with it's counterbalanced motor. I asked for a demo ride and Jeff was kind enough to toss me a set of keys (after my signature on the "thou shalt not crash the bike" form) Holy Crapola this is a fun little bike to ride!!! I can see the appeal for the Himalayan; it's easy to ride, the seat height is just right at 31.5 inches (enough for me to paddle through technical trails), a 4 gal tank with a reported 62.8 mpg from FUELLY... that's 251 miles!!! Considering the spec sheet hanging on the bike stated 75 mpg... The KLR's got a 6.1 gal tank and I can range about 260 miles while cruising on flat terrain... Color me impressed!

I took the Himalayan for a short 15 minute ride to Mission Bay. I had a short jaunt on the I-5 and it had no problem staying at 65 mph... now getting to up to 65 mph is another story... Don't expect a whole lot from that 411cc mill churning out 24.5 hp and 24 ft-lbs of torque. Did I say it was fun as hell to ride!!! The handling on the Himalayan was so easy it was almost like riding a scooter... I was doing tight turns and figure eights in the parking lot and I was blown away... and that counterbalanced motor is good, I could hardly feel the vibrations when compared to the KLR..

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

more food for thought... :hmmmmm

after returning the Himalayan I was off before the afternoon rush hour traffic started and to register for the official unveiling of the 2019 Triumph line...
    Invite.jpg
  18. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric, I have been :hide the Hack Forum for a while and have seen quite a few of Drone's comments... very informative and funny when he said "I just blew bourbon out my nose!" from a comment made by another inmate...

I've also seen some Beemer Hacks and there is a company up at Buckley, WA called DMC that does all the work... way cheaper than the Ural route but I don't know if I can do that to my GSA...

DSCN3164a-1024x676.jpg
  19. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    Maybe the Stelvio? :augie
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I like the Stelvio, I need to reduce the stable... I got a bit of an overlap between the three and need something different...
    Honda-50 likes this.