Soccer/Fussball/Football/Calcio/Futbol 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Yossarian™, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Ahh, that makes sense. I thought seven minutes was ridiculous, but I forgot about the VAR.
    gmk999 likes this.
  2. erinbomber

erinbomber in awe

Oddometer:

Am I the only person in the world who noticed that both the fouled (soft I agree) player and another English attacker were WAY offside before that happened? Like 4' off side! Soft or not, how is it "interfering with a shot on goal" when the player was so offside I could see it from another country? I'll have to watch the replay, they just skipped over it and kept showing the foul over and over, nobody even mentioned the clear offside.
    Peels likes this.
  3. erinbomber

erinbomber in awe

Oddometer:
    ...and, on that note, the offside call against England for their equalizing goal, while equal to all the VAR offside calls in this tournament thus far, and technically offside, would never have been called or upheld without VAR. It was like a literal butthair offside. VAR has ruined the human element of reffing, and just made the non-VAR calls that much more questionable. It's a conundrum.
    gmk999 likes this.
  4. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Yes, White was defiantly in offside position,( Letter of the law infraction) not sure about the other player (Kirby?) but when while touched the ball her offside position should have been called.
  5. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That match was good! Lol to the tea celebration. And that Piers Morgan guy had to get crazy about it!
    Peels likes this.
  6. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep. I disagree with the notion that officials cant be wrong because the stakes are too high. Its a sport. Players make mistakes, so does the ref. Thats why you work so hard to get where you are...

Sometimes toy with the thought maybe we could make it limited... and the onus is on the coach to "contest" the call like they do in NFL, like give them two or 3.... difficult with no clock stoppage though.

Not looking forward to it in EPL. But well have to get used to it...

as far as the butthair.... I feel like that was a gorgeous world class goal, though I was clearly not rooting for them...my heart broke for England a bit. The penalty repaid them and they wasted it. TERRIBLE kick lol
    erinbomber likes this.
  7. erinbomber

erinbomber in awe

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I think it should be used sparingly, and in a limited manner like the NFL. Force the coaches to use it wisely. I don't know about the no clock stoppage though. I'd be afraid they would use it to slow down play and get some added time if they were being trounced. I guess if the extra time is up to the ref? I don't know I guess it would sort itself out.

...and I agree, the BS offside against England, was balanced by the BS non-offside against England and the blocked PK. Kind of seemed like some sort of karmic balancing going on.
    Peels likes this.
  8. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:

I just mean in NFL, the clock is always stopping(i mean... a 1hr game takes 3-4 lol) .. so they have all sortsa time to review... we dont have that.
    erinbomber likes this.
  9. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Fat Frank in at Chelsea... Though a Legend and Fan Fave.. Chelsea is way to complicated even for a Mensa genius (That he apparently is).. I still think that Rafa was the best available choice.

My opinions on VAR are coming.. As soon as I have a chance to sit still for a few minutes. Maybe next week when my boy ( single dad here) is at Soccer camp. If I can keep myself from spying on him at camp that is. Scout camp the next week, I won't spy there.
    Happy 4th. We are going tubing, then dirt bikes at the local riding spot.
  10. UncleJ

UncleJ It's Happy Hour Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Yet again, that acronym 'VAR' rears its head during the third place game ... ugh. I hope it stays out of the game tomorrow. The TMO seems to work just fine in rugby, dunno why it doesn't work well in football. Too many flailing arms and bouncy balls I guess :D. The 3 challenges a game thing might work.
    gmk999 likes this.
  11. JoeFab

JoeFab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this World Cup has shown is that female referee's are absolutely useless !
    gmk999 likes this.
  12. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of pro Netherlands calls and non-calls so far.
  13. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    gooooooooaaaaaaaal.
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    BAM!
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    That changed quickly.
  16. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    WOW. Congrats USA women.. 14 shots to 3 Impressive!!
    My player of the tournament (goal scorers aside) Crystal Dunn. Her tackle success is outstanding as is her distribution.
    Now on to the Gold Cup
    Peels likes this.
  17. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats to the US Womens Footie-ers!
    :clap:clap:clap

And the match was exactly the right length . . . meaning I tuned in with less than 5min remaining.

:hide
    gmk999 likes this.
  18. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great win. Netherlands looked quite listless IMHO.
    gmk999 likes this.
  19. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    No Depth, they played the same 13 players all tournament against very strong competitions and in 80 degree heat
  20. UncleJ

UncleJ It's Happy Hour Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Whew, just like 'pool in the Champs, glad the US got that second "real" goal. Crap, can't seem to get the US vs Mexico game ...... illegally anyway which = free :ear
    IndiBiker likes this.