SOCIAL DISTANCING -- Northwest Colorado Style!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ROAD DAMAGE, Mar 26, 2020.

1. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :bluduh :nah :bluduh :nah :doh :bluduh :nah :bluduh :nah :doh

Not exactly "Social Distancing" conditions out my way this morning.

It ended up being almost twice this much before it finally stopped.
    Meh, we could always use the moisture. :D

[​IMG]
    StmbtDave and Blakebird like this.
  2. Hair

Hair On time and on budget. Supporter

Oddometer:

Define: bike
  3. Hair

Oddometer:
    Around here the lack of traffic means that the deer and elk are getting mighty brave. Most of our deer use to look both ways before crossing the road. I am not so sure about that now.
    ROAD DAMAGE and Skunk-Works like this.
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

That's been my excuse, too. Seems every time I want to get a bike out. It's still supposed to be ski season.....and I'm at 8200' with a mile of messy dirt road to the highway.
    Hopefully I can add some SW Colorado Social Distancing pictures in the next day or so. Stay safe out there!
  5. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    ummmm, here's how I am accomplishing it:

EUNkJ2PWkAA90CN.jpg
  6. Hair

Oddometer:
    Great photos, They offer hope and inspire us to ride this pandemic out.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  7. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there...
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  8. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    dirtydoug, Blakebird and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  9. Tiutis

Tiutis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the hwy 317 Hamilton to Pagoda all paved? Could you also connect to hwy 29 that eventually take you to Steamboat Springs all paved?

10. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    To Pagoda paved, rest nope.
    Tiutis likes this.
  11. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I've seen more rattlesnakes on that road than any place I've been. Seems like every trip there are at least a couple freshly smashed on the pavement.
    nwcolorider likes this.
  12. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Not Pagoda. But did you mention buzz worms?

Attached Files:

13. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    I've have seen a few rattlers out there on 317 too Dave.

Pretty funny to see that picture of Norm. :lol3
    For those of you that don't know, Norm teaches school up at Baggs, WY.
    And the school Mascot up there is ................................ the "Little Snake River Valley RATTLERS"!

[​IMG]
    So that picture of him snake wrangling, must have meant that it was destiny for him to be a "Rattler".

The "snakiest place" I've seen up here is a section of Routt County Road 46 where it goes by the head end of "The Sleeping Giant" near the old settlement of Mystic. Lots of them up that way.
  14. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    That is a bad spot up there I agree. Old volcanic rocks give them great shelter and it is nice and warm. We had an old coal mine across the road from where I grew up. It was snaky booger also. We had regional track last year in Shoshoni Wyoming. A few days before the meet we got a notice from the activities director to be on the lookout for snakes. Seems as if their brand new school was built between the rocks were the snakes wintered in the Meadows were the snakes hunted for nice little mice. And in the spring they tended to move back-and-forth. I did not step off the green grass for two days. But for finding steaks at a town I have to admit Baggs Wyoming is the worst I have ever seen. They have killed them on the playground on the football field, in the middle of the highway, in the parks, in front yards, under houses, under trash cans just about any place you could think of want to be you got to worry about it in the late summer
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  15. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    I got out for a little "social distancing" again yesterday.
    My motivation was not great so it was sorta a short loop --- 110 miles & 3 hours or so.
    But it was fun! :thumb

My earlier post photos were focusing on just how wide open and sparsely traveled a lot of the roads up here really are.
    Although interesting to me, they started to all look alike.
    So I'm going to try to include some other items of interest in my photos.

Here are some pictures from yesterday's ride:

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^
    Headed toward the Flattops on Routt County Road #17.
    Nice little sweepers that not a lot of folks know about.
    If you ever rode on a Fall Colors Tour with Mark Steur .......... chances are good that you rode on some of these roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is what is remaining of the old "Bird Cabin" just outside Yampa. (Bird is the family name)
    It's one of the older structures in the county.
    There is a Bird Cabin that predated this one about 1/4 mile to the north, but it's in even worse shape.
    I had an accepted offer on this property years ago ................ but an erroneous survey ended up being a deal breaker.

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite houses in Yampa.
    It's a loose interpretation of a Rural Gothic Revival style.

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^^^^ RCR 7 as it heads up toward the Flattops, Devil's Causeway, Stillwater Res, Yamcolo, Bear Lake, and several others.

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^ Here's the Yampa River as you get up near it's headwaters. It's still referred to as the "Bear River" up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^^ Little Beaver Liquors .......................... in downtown Yampa, CO.

[​IMG]

Fishermen practicing a little "Social Distancing" of their own.
    This is the inlet end of Stagecoach Reservoir where the Bear/Yampa river enters.
    It was dammed up at the other end to create this lake.

[​IMG]
    (File photo of the lake in summer.) Where the people are fishing is at the top of this picture.
    The "whitish" area at the bottom/center of pic is the dam overflow.

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^ And here's a picture looking back toward the Stagecoach community and the old Stagecoach Ski Area.
    This ski area operated for a few years in the early 1970s.
    http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/stagecoach.html

[​IMG]

And here's a closer shot showing more of the old runs and condos/houses. There are a lot of people that live out here. Every few years the rumor gets started that "Stagecoach is going to open up for skiing again!" I've been hearing it for almost 40 years. :lol3
    Probably started by some realtors trying to generate a buzz. There are groups of locals that still ski up there regularly and many of them go up and keep the trails cleared of brush, saplings, etc. (notice just how clean all the trails are)

Stay safe out there amigos!
    SparkyL, mtncrawler, randingo and 2 others like this.
  16. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have to get the full story of the Bird cabin erroneous survey sometime. Save it for a rally camp fire.
    I didn't get out for a ride yet. Today was supposed to be the day, but it's not every day your 15 year old son asks his parents to go for a hike. He must be bored.
    Bisti Badlands south of Farmington. 20200405_105751.jpg
    alpina, RedHawk47, SparkyL and 5 others like this.
  17. vt wingman

vt wingman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The woman that we sold our house to in Wheat Ridge has a place at Stagecoach also! We went up there a couple times and hiked up the mtn! Always been fascinated with abandoned/closed ski areas!
  18. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Wingman,

Hope all is going well in VT.
    Thanks for following along.

I've always been intrigued by these abandoned ski areas too.
    To me they're very emblematic of the history of most of our mountain states. - boom & bust.
    Land, Gold, Coal, Oil, Tourism, etc. etc. seems like there has always been something "booming & busting" out west since the white man arrived.

There is actually another "failed ski area" (Lake Catamount Ski Area) nearby Stagecoach that I could have included in my trip report ........... but I never even thought about. :dunno :scratch
    And I rode right past it!

The Yampa River flows out of the bottom of Stagecoach Res. and then past the base of Mt. Baldy into Lake Catamount. That's the lake that you see to your left when you come down from Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat Springs on US40. There was another ski hill planned there on Mt. Baldy that upon full buildout was supposed to be about the same size as the Steamboat Ski Area & the town of Steamboat Springs. A local group kept it tangled up in regulatory issues for long enough that the developers eventually went away.
    My personal feelings were that it would have been devastating for the valley. The last thing that this valley needed was another 10,000 seasonal minimum wage jobs and all the many ills that come along with that.

Here's a little info on it and some others.
    When it comes to failed ski areas ........... Routt County, CO could be considered the "Field of BROKEN Dreams". :lol3

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/history/proposed/catamount.html

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/explore-steamboat/lost-ski-resorts-of-routt-county/

Proposed Lake Catamount Ski Area artist's rendition:
    [​IMG]

And below is what the topography "really" looks like.

[​IMG]
    alpina and vt wingman like this.
  19. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    My dad had a fishing membership to Catamount in the 80's. There are some nice fish in there.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  20. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    How about the ski area up by Pearl Lake? I think they only had one lift but I remember skiing there the one winter when I lived in one of the original cabins at what is now Glen Eden Resort in Clark. I think it was called Elk River Recreation when I was there.
    ROAD DAMAGE and nwcolorider like this.