SOCIAL DISTANCING -- Northwest Colorado Style!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ROAD DAMAGE, Mar 26, 2020.

1. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are putting the miles on! In the pic with the power plant, those fields on the left I used to hunt when I was growing up before Wolf Mountain Ranch bought it all up. Grew up just over the ridge on Wolf Creek(CR 52) Spent my summers in high school and college building fence for Waltrips and that ranch.
  2. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a stack of tires that I need to wear out! :ricky :deal

I'm getting out 2-3 times a week, mostly when it's nicer.
    It has been fun taking a camera along and stopping to get a few pictures for this thread.
    I look at the Accuweather forecast every 3-4 days and then try to be strategic about the riding opportunities.
    As you probably know ................... it's snowing in Steamboat this morning. :nah :bluduh
    THAT'S why I try to be strategic about it. :lol3

I have a pretty good idea of where you grew up from your descriptions.
    I ride all these county roads around here several times a year and have a general idea of where things are that are public.
    My rule is to not TRESPASS more than 20-30 times a month.
    Didn't realize that the Waltrips had that ranch for that long! David Funk farms that ground around the plant now, right?

How are you doing?
    Hope your back is feeling better.
    Probably as good a time as any to be laid up for a little bit ................ if there is any such thing.
  3. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Waltrip family bought it mid 80's. The guy that started it was a wanna be rancher that had too much money and not much sense.
    Robert Waltrip is a butt, Darell is a good guy. They bought it about 1983 or so. David does farm all of that. I started with them getting 75 cents a post that I put in. 600 lb hammer on a dozer. Some days I made bank. Others it was me and a spud bar and I made 75 cents! Couple hills were sketchy, lower the dozer down the hill with the winch on the big dozer, stop every 7' and pound a post! Finished in 89 running a crew getting $700 a mile. Our was about 4 miles up 52 on the east. Stuck up a bit of a canyon. With LOTS of snakes.

Back is doing good. No pain, foot is still numb. Took my self off the oxy after one day, tylonol gone after 2. Still use the muscle relaxer before bed. The cut was bigger than they said, about 2.5" that is no big deal.
    Geek, Devo 1 and norton(kel) like this.
  4. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:clap:imaposer
    Thank you for the best quote in a while!
    Humor, the ultimate pain reliever!!
    Geek, StmbtDave and nwcolorider like this.
  5. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    4BA7E661-C3C9-4665-A8B3-24FD90ED5817.jpeg What’s the social distance number? 6 miles? I think I’m OK. 2075D5D7-6292-493E-B6A5-896F6F37EB3A.jpeg
    alpina, Geek, VxZeroKnots and 4 others like this.
  6. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, get better Norm. BTDT. Work hard on your recovery and you’ll do well. :deal
  7. meerobus

meerobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it's old news.. but.. but.. Geek on a BMW?
    Geek likes this.
  8. meerobus

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. This sucks. I miss CO. All your fault RD.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Getting old sucks. :photog

:freaky

at least I'm taking good care of it (video from yesterday :lol3 ):

fred flintstone, alpina and meerobus like this.
  10. meerobus

Oddometer:
    I know you miss dunking your bikes and all but no need to resort to such drastic measures. Looks like you shoved it out of the garage then hit in the shadows. :imaposer
    Geek likes this.
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I've seen weirder things :photog

DSC02309.JPG
  12. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Not much opportunity for riding most of this last week due to snowy weather in the Steamboat area. :bluduh :nah

But it turned nicer the last few days so I managed to get out and ride around Moffat & Routt Counties a little, and even got up to the Northern part of Routt County. BTW, It's still pretty "wintery" up there in North Routt! :vardy
    I sometimes forget just how much good riding there is around here ................... and most of it gets very little traffic. :thumb

Here's some pictures:

[​IMG]
    I got NO IDEA? :dunno ^^^^^^^^
    But I do think that it's sorta funny.
    Seems like it's more of a statement .................. than just graffiti for graffiti's sake. Anyone? :hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    Sticking with the public art theme ..........

[​IMG]
    Close up of the middle sunflower ^^^^^^
    [​IMG]
    More art in the alley ...................

[​IMG]
    Sorta sticking with the theme ...........................

[​IMG]
    This was taken YESTERDAY .................. on 04/20. :bmwrider :tb :bubba :twitch :bmwrider
    Of course all the dispenseries have great sales/discounts on 4/20.
    Following the rules, Golden Leaf Dispensary is only allowing one customer inside at a time.
    So this is the "socially distanced" line of folks waiting to go in and make their purchase. :lol3
    It cracked me up once I realized what was going on ................................ enough so that I went back and took a picture.

[​IMG]

Some MORE local wildlife ................................. herd of about 3 dozen elk off of CO129.

[​IMG]
    Sand Mountain. ^^^^^^^^ This is part of the area that was mentioned earlier in this thread where there had been plans to develop another ski area.

Lots of calves on the ground out there!
    When I was a kid, I was tasked with developing a very small cow/calf operation to raise $$ for my college. I started with 8 heifers that had been bred. I ended up with about 60 head when I was a high school senior. So calving season was always been an enjoyable time for me.
    [​IMG]
    Hahns Peak out there in the distance. Nice twisties and sweepers on CO129.
    Next stop, Clark, CO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can just barely see Mt. Zirkel and Big Agnes peaks in the distance on the left side.
    This is the Big Agnes that the Outdoor Gear Company is named for.

[​IMG]

Elk River up toward it's headwaters.

[​IMG]

Hahns Peak from the top of Willow Creek Pass.
    Hahns Peak was a gold mining district and used to be the country seat.

[​IMG]
    Main St. in downtown Hahns Peak Village. ^^^^^^^

[​IMG]
    Another shot of the Sand Mountain, Meaden Peak, Diamond Peak area. Steamboat Lake State Park is in some of the foreground. I used to skin up there and ski in the Spring after the big hill closed for the season. I was camped in that center saddle one weekend (35 +/- years ago) when a storm rolled in. It was blizzarding and lightening! There was no "counting the seconds" ............. it was "FLASH/BOOM".
    Striking very close for what seemed like 2 hours ........... but was probably about 10-15 minutes. :eekers :lol3
    No doubt that this area would have made a dynamite ski area.
    Terrain up there for every kind of skier ...... some of it butt puckering extreme.

[​IMG]

Nipple Peak ^^^^

[​IMG]
    More twisties and sweepers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heading back toward Steamboat Springs.

Happy Social Distancing!
    RD

NSFW, alpina, TaZ9 and 5 others like this.
  13. meerobus

Oddometer:
    Road Damage. Why do you keep taunting me with all these pictures of twisty roads with breath taking views and no traffic?

Now every time I look at one of your stickers on my bike, I shall not think of you the same way anymore.

Quit all this or I'll have to come back to CO and.. and.. and.. have a beer with you! :photog
    ROAD DAMAGE and Geek like this.
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    LOL - where the heck was that photo? Northern California? Obviously @shearboy2004 took the pic :D I remember which ride it was but cannot place the location :freaky

I was trying to fit those little yellow bags on the new bike just this weekend in fact :photog
    Blakebird likes this.
  15. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    it was the Half Dome View turnout on Big Flat Rd before we entered Yosemite Valley
    https://www.google.com/maps/@37.713...4!1syF_8gzQ32qAMHOqQ8OvcJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7135782,-119.7139995,15z/data=!5m1!1e4
    Geek likes this.
  16. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Glacier Point

[​IMG]
    Geek, StmbtDave and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  17. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Rob, all those pictures make me homesick. I can picture where almost all of them were taken. Were you around when Doc Utterback (or was it Billy Mack) was a County Commissioner and said 129 would never be paved as the hill up Ripple Creek Divide was too unstable? It's held up pretty well.
    ROAD DAMAGE and nwcolorider like this.
  18. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    What an awesome picture! Too bad that hoser is standing in front of Half Dome! About 45 years ago my brother-in-law and I hiked into and camped in Little Yosemite Valley behind Half Dome. We climbed up the back side (with the cable) and looked over the edge. That was some scary shit!
    Geek and randingo like this.
  19. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    My first ride thru was in '77... in '78 we hiked up to Nevada and Vernal Falls. That was grueling even at 22 yrs old!
    All thru the '80's when the 49er rally was in Mariposa we rode in and thru the park after breakfast at the Ahwahnee Lodge, taking the long way back to Redding via Tioga, Monitor, Ebbetts... whichever wasn't snowed in :D
    Geek and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  20. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry, Tery, Terri, Teri, Tarry! :lol3
    How are you?

Where are you hanging your hat these days?
    Glad that you're enjoying the scenery. :thumb
    Come see me, and I can show you where all of these roads are. :D

Hey Dave,

Hopefully the only "sick" that you get ............... is homesick!

I was around for those guys. Remember when Doc Utterback "caught on fire"! I think that the story was that he was overcome by smoke as he was burning out his ditches. Someone driving by saw him laying there and his clothes were on fire! Wasn't he about 135-140 years old when that happened! :lol3

As I remember it was Billy Mack that got 129 improved.
    I've actually heard folks call CO129 "The Billy Mack Expressway"! :imaposer

I thought that the "driving force" (pun intended) for him to get that road improved and paved ........ was that he was a North Routt guy? The joke was that the roads were so much smoother during the winter ..........because all the washboards and potholes got filled in with snow and ice. If you lived at the Glen for a winter, then you were a party to that crappy driving.
    Was your cabin on the Seedhouse side of 129 next to the river?

BTW, the road improvements sorta "opened the floodgates" up there.

And YES, that east side of Willow Creek Pass is about as unstable as you'll ever see. The trees are pointed in every direction up there where it has slumped, slid, flowed and rotated over the years.
    nwcolorider and Blakebird like this.