SOCIAL DISTANCING -- Northwest Colorado Style!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ROAD DAMAGE, Mar 26, 2020.

1. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Where we lived up CR 52(aka Wolf Creek) our washboards were like that. Smooth in the winter. But then $$$ moved in up the mountain and all of the sudden the road got lots of work done on it.

Right now our county rd is washboarded out or as grandpa said, it is all corduroy. But soon they will grade it and Mag Water it. That smooths it out and then everyone goes 60 mph on it.

Doc said Mid May I can ride roads!
    Blakebird likes this.
  2. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I consider driving washboard roads as an art form ................................ :brow :lol3

So Mid-May huh?
    That's pretty quick! :thumb

Blakebird likes this.
  3. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Nothing extreme. He said. ride to town. Wife said we will see.....
  4. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    It's been raining and blowing this morning in the Steamboat area.
    And THAT makes me very glad that I snuck out yesterday and got a little dose of throttle therapy ........... and a JUNK FOOD fix! :dukegirl

I zig-zagged from Steamboat to Wolcott, then over to Eagle where I stopped at BK for a Whopper, and then on to Dotsero and Back to Steamboat Springs via the Colorado River Road, CO131, and some county roads.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^ First order of business ............... JUNK FOOD FIX!
    That shady spot ended up being a pretty peaceful "socially distant" place to choke down a burger.
    I worked at a BK when I was in college ................................................ and I'll actually still eat there if I have to! :eekers :lol3
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^ As soon as you get on to CRR at Dotsero, they are milling up the asphalt for the first 6 or 7 miles for a new overlay.
    It should be "as smooth as a baby's butt" within a month or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"RANCHO STARVO" .................. :lol3
    I've been laughing at this for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^^^^^^ Rodeo Rapids
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a glamour shot of the PIG v.2.0 with the "dancing shoes" in the garage, and the "hiking boots" mounted.
    First time I'd had the spokes/knobbies on the bike since late last summer.

[​IMG]

^^^^^^ My new favorite sticker: "Bald, Toothless, and a Beer Belly ...... But I Still Love HER." :imaposer
    Even my wife thinks it's funny. :thumb

[​IMG]
    And 2 of my favorite Not For Public Consumption "Inside the Panniers" stickers. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^ Here I've climbed up out of the river bottom/canyon area on Eagle County Road #37. It changes to Routt County Road #1 in just a mile or so. This is looking back south toward Castle Peak. ( I think? ) :scratch

[​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^ Between Toponas and Yampa.
    This is equipment that helped load lettuce and spinach into rail cars. This area known as Egeria Park produced between 600-700 rail cars a season of lettuce and spinach in it's glory days. It also spurred other businesses like people harvesting ice from ponds and lakes during the winter to be used for keeping the produce fresh during transport, as well as box/crate building businesses.
    Here's a link to a little info: https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/community-agriculture-alliance-lost-crop-of-routt-county/

[​IMG]

And to finish with a laugh .............................

This is "Big Walt", an amigo of mine modeling his fancy new COVID mask. :lol3
    Nice huh!
    Walt was about 6'10" in his prime so you're not going to easily miss him ...... but now with his special mask, he'll be doubly hard to ignore.
    So if you're in the Port Townsend, WA area and run into this hulking mutant .......... tell him you saw him on ADV Rider.

Stay safe out there folks.
    Enjoy your social distancing however you choose to do it!
    RD
    NSFW, Merfman, 309 and 12 others like this.
  5. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Loving the pictures. Where's the RIP GOP sticker? You haven't gone to the dark side, have you.?

The history story I heard was that is the structure used to harvest ice. They would saw it into blocks then moved along that structure (conveyer belt?) and loaded into wagons. The ice was stored inside a structure that's no longer there, buried in straw, to be used the next harvest season. The ice was used to chill the produce in the box cars for the trip to Denver. This was well before refrigeration.
  6. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    :wave Hey Double Yellow Dave!

That sticker is on the other side I think. You need more?
    You know, I've eaten a lot of crow after having those stickers made! :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    But no, I'm firmly where I've always been ............. always advocating for "We The People" FIRST.

Same story for me on the ice. :nod
    If you look closely in that picture you can see one of the ice ponds behind the conveyor. I probably should have explained that better. Come to think of it, I wonder if the ice was loaded WITH the produce, or OUTSIDE of the produce crates? I always assumed that they were packed together, but maybe they were kept separate and just used the ice to chill the air around the produce? I'd heard that they used the sawdust from the nearby lumber mills to help insulate the ice as it was stored to keep it from melting too much.

BTW, I thought about that sawdust again when the Royal Hotel burned 5-6 years ago ............. I went down there (and trespassed! :patch) to take a look at what was left. Some of the exterior walls had been insulated in places with sawdust ................ and those areas had resisted burning as it couldn't get enough air to fully combust.

There would be a lot of "evaporative cooling" as your ice melts if it's packed in straw or sawdust.
    Just like keeping a heavy quilted furniture pad soaked with river water while it's laying over your beer cooler! :vardy :freaky
    StmbtDave, nwcolorider and randingo like this.
  7. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    There are also old ice ponds up by the hatchery, my grandfathers brother worked on a ranch up cr 3, he told me that the ranch used to raise beets and lettuce also. He said the old structure was used to load the trains. I always assumed it was both ice and lettuce. He said they took alot of ice out of the valley for other cold storage places and it was a big business. I know Hayden had ice ponds and a huge ice house also.
    TaZ9 and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  8. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Modern refrigeration is something that I sure take for granted.
    Often when I turn on a spigot, fill a fuel tank, open a beer, or flick on a light, I'll actually stop and think for a few seconds just what it takes to make that happen and that we (I) should not take it all for granted.
    But I never do that with ice. :dunno :augie

There are still a few places around the county where I'll notice the shaded "cold box" built outside of an old kitchen window.
    Most of those just weren't for cooling pies.
    Things sure are easy for most of us now, aren't they?

Occasionally I'll still see an antique ice saw at a junk store or yard sale around here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. bmiller59

bmiller59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4Mile social distancing. For the most part. more people on the south side of 285 today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TaZ9, Assfault and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  10. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    I'll get a picture of it next time I go to old family ranch, at the end of rcr 29A. But my great grandpa was pretty inventive. The old hand pump well was 20' from the house. You would fill a bucket, walk to the house, go up to steps and fill the oak barrel. The barrel had a spigot over the sink in the house over the sink. Inside running water. No ice house, but a root cellar was all he needed, dug deep in the under the quakin' aspen. We still use it, no electricity was ever run up the canyon. We do have a small gas generator, mainly for power tools! But still use the wood stove the brick two holer. No cell service. It is awesome. Went up yesterday, could not get in, big mud holes and he would turn over in his grave if I went muddin' and the back and leg would not be happy with the walk.
    ROAD DAMAGE, TaZ9 and Assfault like this.
  11. bmiller59

Oddometer:
    Sounds kind of like how I got "running" water in my shop.
    IMG_4412.JPG
    Zone1Fire, TaZ9 and Assfault like this.
  12. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    exactly, except an old wooden barrel. Worked great, big wood burning cook stove, great grandma would be a cooking as we were putting up hay. Lunch was always followed by some fresh baked desert. Back to the hay field and dinner had pie! Problem with that hay field was the old Minneapolis Moline baler had a broke Axel and the frame was cracked, so it was hooked up to the old JD A model chuggin' away as uncles dropped loose hay in front of us. The cousins and I had to fork it in, load it on the hay wagon. That old baler made bales from 45 lb to 90 lb. Never could get the tension right. Then when the wagon was full, off to the barn. and onto the elevator and stack them in the loft. I always wanted the baler parked in front of the barn, but nooooo, it would be in the way. Put I tell you what, bucking bales put on the muscle for college. Unfortunately, most of it no longer is muscle! Rob---MORE PICTURES!
    TaZ9 likes this.
  13. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    downloadfile-39.jpg
    NSFW, ROAD DAMAGE and nwcolorider like this.
  14. bmiller59

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!
    TaZ9 likes this.
  15. meerobus

meerobus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't be hanging my hat any time soon especially in this triple digit heat in Phoenix. :hair
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  16. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the IBA should sanction a 1000 mile in 24 hours (bun burner) with all miles accumulated within 10 miles of your house in honor of Covid. GO!
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  17. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Apart from whatever local restrictions are put in place for Mesa County that are less strict than the state’s on the COVID-19 pandemic, Gov. Jared Polis’ new safer-at-home order makes one clear statement to Front Range residents that does impact this side of the Continental Divide: Don’t come to the Western Slope.

That final item in his new state order, which went into effect Monday, tells everyone else in the state to remain within 10 miles of their homes and don’t go to the mountains.
  18. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Stupid news decided to focus on this part. Got Mrs. 309 telling me she doesn’t think I should be doing the bit of riding that I’ve been doing. I disagree but picking battles and all..
  19. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Treat all of Colorado the same, when it is so diverse. I have some friends that live in Browns Park, 78 miles from town. I am going for a drive tomorrow, can't ride yet. MAybe I will take the ATV and go look at wild horses!
    Assfault likes this.
  20. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd have to go more than 10 miles to be out of the mountains! And I do that just to get to work. (Construction industry).
    What is kind of scary down in this part of the state is how close we are to the Navajo Nation. Right across the border. And I don't think they have the same restrictions on heading this way!