SOCIAL DISTANCING -- Northwest Colorado Style!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ROAD DAMAGE, Mar 26, 2020.

1. LBW

LBW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of course, technically it isn't Northwest Colorado; more like Western Slope.
  2. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Remembering this thread I took a Northwest loop yesterday.

EB22258E-F2AA-40D3-A56C-06855E0DC541.jpeg

From my place in Boulder I went south for a bit to get to Berthoud Pass, then up 125. I intended to take 27 from Rand to Gould but was met with this:

B5EFC5C8-BD24-4DA9-A89C-8C6A628A1CF6.jpeg

This Added a bit of time and meant I did the whole day with no dirt. I went over Cameron Pass then Stove Prarie/ Buckhorn down to Carter Lake and back home. I considered splitting up to Red feather lakes to play in the dirt but didn’t have a ton of time. There was also remarkably little traffic on 14 for a mid day Saturday so I took advantage of that.

Sure is nice up that way. I’ve got some people to visit up in Laramie. Need to figure a fun route up there and back before summer is out.
    norton(kel), Geek and Blakebird like this.
  3. Foggy_Goggles

Foggy_Goggles n00b

Oddometer:
    This thread looks like as good as any to wade on in....water feels nice! I bought Steamboat Dave's DRZ and have been putting on the mileage it deserves in Grand County. This morning a left my house in Tabernash and went over Cottonwood Pass then the Parshall to the Beaver Brook Rd back through Church's Park and Blue Ridge. 60 miles with only about 5 on slab. I've been avoiding long stretches of 40 on the weekends as anything over 55mph is a bit buzzy and the drivers are a bit crazy. Let me know if anyone else rides in this area or if you have any loops to suggest.
    nwcolorider and StmbtDave like this.
  4. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    I've driven Rt 14 through to Walden & Rand, then down to Granby. Walden is boring and not much up there. Winter Park is much better comparatively.
  5. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    You have not explored the Walden area much then.
  6. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    No I stopped for gas and looked around for 5 minutes then continued through on Rt. 14.
  7. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Loads of forest roads, the highways are boring and flat. The west side has some great single track, forest roads as well as the south end. The northern area into Wyoming has some great riding. Buff Pass to Steamboat, or Go NW to Hog Park and WY 70 or south to Steamboat Lake.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :nod

P1030264.jpg
  9. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Little NW Colorado and just a bit of Wyoming
    My son came back for the weekend. We left Craig and went up Black Mountain and dropped into the Little Snake River. We headed east on WY 70 and made a quick stop at Battle Lake
    [​IMG]

Well almost Colorado, just North of Hog Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hahns Peak from the North side

[​IMG]

The old man and the kid

All together 300 miles
  10. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got my CB500X registered. I'm in Fort Collins. Any good roads and easy trails to start off with? I know about Rt. 14 but that's the extent of it.
  11. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sunday_ride.jpg
    I may have got carried away Sunday. Lots of alone time!
  12. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill! :wave

That looks like a pretty good day to me. :thumb
    I'm guessing that a lot of it was unpaved too .......................................

It's nice to be able to get carried away, without having to be "carried away". :kurt :lol3

Hope all is well in RB county and that you're getting a lungful of fresh air every once in a while.
    It has been sorta hit or miss up this way ........... nice one day and smokey the next.

RD
  13. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Smokey all day. It was a Road Damage inspired trip. I made it as far north as Yampa. Hagerman is as rocky as ever. West side seems even worse. Rio Blanco County loves keeping 2" of marbles on Dunkley. Hard to make time in that crap. I'll look back and say it was great day after my kiester stops hurting.
    ROAD DAMAGE and norton(kel) like this.
  14. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I rode dunkley twice , it sucked both times , a couple of the side roads up to there kick ass .
  15. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Family ranch is on the North Side of Dunkley, in Yoast Gulch. Lots of fun side roads. Other side of the family has the ranch on the south side, below Pyramid Peak.
  16. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    I took my first long solo moto ride this weekend. I left Saturday morning at 6:15 and took Horsetooth to Masonville, then went up to Estes. It was awesome to be on the road before any traffic and to watch the red sun rise. I'm also glad I took the 4-season jacket instead of my summer mesh jacket. It was damn cold at times while riding through the canyons.

[​IMG]

From Estes I took Rt. 7 to 72 and hung a left turn to Jamestown on to a dirt road. Never having rode a moto on dirt before it was an awesome experience. I took another turn off this road on to a much more gnarly driveway to a lodge and got to stand up on the pegs to navigate around the bigger rocks. I also never dirt-biked before but I loved this. I definitely want to get more all-terrain tires and find more of this type of riding which I should be able to find out here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting off the dirt road and on to asphalt I had one incident when I locked up the rear brake for the first time. I felt a chatter and the rear of the bike stepping out to my right and instinctually put my left foot down as I would stabilize my road bike. I eased off the rear brake and on to the front and the bike straightened itself out. That was enough exhilaration for me and went 20mph the rest of the way down the hill. [​IMG]

I stopped at a diner for coffee and breakfast in Boulder and I had just missed the rain for an hour earlier so all the roads were wet. My phone was nearly dead and I want to avoid getting caught in another storm that was coming in that afternoon so I headed back home. I went up to Carter Lake, then Masonville, then home. I made some tasty pasta for dinner. All in all a good experience. I'm not in love with motorcycles the way I love cars but it's definitely a fun experiment so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:

Summer is almost up, Anybody want to suggest a route from Boulder to Laramie and back? On my GS Looking for twisties, dirt roads and empty spaces.
  18. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio n00b

Oddometer:
    Stove Prairie road from Masonville to Rt 14 is pretty fun. Watch out for the fires though.
  19. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

My favorite route from Boulder to Laramie .................................................................................. took me through Utah last time. :thumb :lol3 :ricky