Soft knee guards enough ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by robin_nerf, May 28, 2020.

1. robin_nerf

robin_nerf n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello and thanks for an awesome adventure-forum =)

Havent been riding for years so sold all my gear back then, time to buy new and have found some pieces I like.
    Klim Dakar pants is lovely but the Leatt Dual Axis knee guards wasent my favorite, I feel the lack of comfort when wearing them under my pants/on my skin, so I'm looking on a pair of 3DF Hybrid knee guards, but are they protective enough ? I'm not going back to full time motocross on track, but 50 on- and 50 offroad is what I prefer with the KTM 690 Enduro.
  2. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can try how your leatt guards feel with either high enduro socks (over the knee)/long "technical" underwear/knee sleeves (leatt includes them with their braces but you can find them separatly). Anything light weight, close to the body and wicking.. works for me, I also can't stand wearing guards/braces directly on the skin.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  3. robin_nerf

robin_nerf n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried it, it feels better for sure, but they are a bit bulky/wide (not that I execpt that any other hard knee guards are smaler in width) but it would be intressting to try the 3DF model.
    Just wanted to ask to see if I get any answers from you guys like, "Stay away from them" or something ;) But more people are welcome to tell what they think :)
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I believe that the new CE rated soft armor offer greater impact protection than hard armor.

It's also tends to be more comfortable IMHO.

I use a mix of Forcefield, Bohn, and D3O soft armor

I like the Forcefield and Bohm stuff best, it's not effected by temp changes like D30.

BOHN makes a great lower body mesh tight with knee/shin, thigh, hip and butt pads ... Super comfortable for all day wear under my klim Mojave pants.

You can buy the tights with or without their pads ..only available direct from their website.

Good luck

Scott
  5. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have troy lee speed knees (soft armor) and they have done well for me. Nothing busted and comfortable to wear. Just bought some leatt 3df 6.0 elbow guards dont have any time on them yet though
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also a fan of the Troy Lee knee guards. Mainly because I can actually stand to wear them multiple days - and knee guards that you aren't wearing because they were too uncomfortable are no use at all.
  7. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    At least some of the soft armor is 'non-newtonian', or whatever the word is, it essentially hardens on impact. I know my BMW protectors are like that. You can bend the stuff slowly, or not so slowly, but if you hit it, it stiffens and distributes the impact over a wide area.
    I think this material is a lot better than the old hard protectors with soft padding, since on impact you are ending up with a thicker layer of the strong stuff, instead of just a thin shell that can shatter.
  8. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never really worn knee protection until recently, and it took me a bit to get to the point that I didn't mind wearing them. I have the 3DF knee pads and really like them, but I haven't had to test them the hard way all that thoroughly. You will definitely want some sort of base layer under them, the silicone strip that prevents migration is murder on skin and leg hair. What works for me is wearing a 3/4 length sweat wicking base layer, then my tall moto socks have a small amount of overlap with the base layer that prevents it from riding up when I pull the pads on.

I wouldn't warn anyone to stay away from the pads, but I'm actually thinking of going the opposite direction that you are and moving to the dual axis pads. You have the hard shell on top, then the same 3DF material below so I feel like they would likely feel similar to wear. However, the reevaluation of my knee protection is mostly due to smashing my knee into oblivion in a recent road riding injury, where my unprotected (stupid) knee very suddenly got all too familiar with a van. I got to thinking that of course if I had been wearing the 3DF pads my injury would have been lessened, but even more so if I had been wearing the dual axis model. I was riding my harley, so I wasn't as geared up as I would have been if there was any chance of dirt getting involved, but the same exact type of impact to my leg could have happened to me on a 690.

Just going off my experience, my thought would be to stick with the dual axis guards because they seem to offer more protection and will likely feel similar when wearing them. Plus, it sounds like you already have them? I also clobbered my shin pretty well, so with that in mind my advice would be that if you do decide to try the 3DF model, make sure you get the extended length version, like this: https://www.evo.com/outlet/body-arm...eatt-3df-hybrid-ext-knee-and-shin-guards-.jpg
  9. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used both the 3DF and the dual axis. The silicone on the soft pad is a killer on a long ride, especially if you get sweaty.

Having crashed in both knee pads... not at the same time obviously, the dual axis offers better protection. The 3DF does not go all the way into the boot. For me there is a 2 inch gap. A rock will find that gap!

I have had some serious pain when a rock found that gap. That was when the front washed out on the DR all my weight, and that of the DR, hit rocks in the slide. My leg was under the bike. Hurt like hell!

IMO the hard pads are better suited the hard terrain.
  10. robin_nerf

robin_nerf n00b

Oddometer:
    I cant image that the EXT-variant of the soft pad is to short to not cover your shins, maybe you are talking about the non-EXT version...
    But that silicone-line (to keep it in place) sounds like a thing I can get annoyed with since I like to ride without socks or anything under me klim dakar.
  11. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soft pads will give you impact protection but do little to nothing protect the joint and can still be pierced/crushed.

The Dual Axis will deflect (less likely to be pierced/crushed) and provide some protection to the joint.

Good pads work better if you start wearing them before a major injury, but lots of people prefer to get a major injury first and then upgrade their equipment afterwards.

Your kit will last longer (and stink less) if you start wearing a washable base layer (socks, leggings, etc).
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  12. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn't the EXT version.
  13. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Love my Dual Axis knee pro.
  14. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a very nice set of D3o knee pads. They worked great. When I crashed there was no bruises or lacerations anywhere. The knee looked perfect. All the damage was internal.
  15. Lucky rider

Lucky rider n00b

Oddometer:
    The silicone bands can be folded one time to face outward away from your skin
  16. gdm

gdm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EVS TP 199 Knee guards, most comfortable knee guards you'll find.
  17. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Good for avoiding a poke in the kneecap but not so good at any torque wrongly applied to a knee. It’s a trade off. A brace is meant to protect the movement of a knee