1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft luggage in AK?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AKstevo, Mar 5, 2018.

1. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    I caught the back of my calf on a pannier while "off-road" (really just a muddy and rutty two-track) last summer, and although I didn't injure my leg it was enough to clearly demonstrate to me one way that folks get occasionally hurt off-road with hard luggage.

So that got me thinking about switching over to soft luggage...losing the weight from the racks and metal boxes would be a bonus. But while I like the idea of taking the 1290 off-road more I just don't know, realistically, how often those opportunities are going to come up here in AK.

Anyone here take their big bikes off-road enough to justify soft bags?
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t run soft luggage, but BMW Atacama/Mosko Moto would have to be my recommendation.
  3. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go soft luggage, I broke my ankle under a hard pannier on a slow speed down when the front plugged with mud. I now run SW Motech soft bags and like them. They are a bit longer and fit my tent better. Pack up nice and have removable liners you can pull out and throw in your tent at night.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I have Ortleib on one of my bikes. roll top, waterproof .. like the river rafting bags. something that interests me is the Giant Loop... do a search. thats my next pannier I think
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used a set of Wolfman Rocky Mountain soft bags for the past three years....good stuff. Another thing to think about with sort luggage is when you do fall over they absorb a lot of the impact instead of transferring the forces to the subframe.
    dirtdoug and djroszina like this.
  6. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the Dempster I was caught in the mud and dabbed a foot which got twisted by my hard side box. Thank God for heavy boots as I came close to probably breaking it. I decided on going soft for future trips.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  7. AKstevo

AKstevo makin' copies...

Oddometer:
    The only thing that really keeps me attached to the hardcases is the (perceived) security. I like the option of easily locking my gear in the panniers when I'm away from the bike for a couple of hours. Anyone feel their gear is not safe in soft luggage when stepping away from the bike while traveling in AK? Any horror stories?

I've got my eye on the Mosko Moto Reckless 80...

Appreciate the discussion...helps pass the time as I heal from shoulder surgery and wait for spring to get here!
    akgsa likes this.
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never had any problems ever with security and soft luggage. I don't think you'll find hardly anyone who has, and many ride all over the world with soft luggage. Plus a simple black non-descript cover on the bike at night and you're good to go. I've been riding for 50 years and have never had a single problem on the road.
  9. Beezer

Oddometer:
    MoskMoto looks good.... kinda like the Giant Loop system though, which is maybe 5 years older

[​IMG]
  10. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't knock the company because I think they do some good things....but this bag didn't work for me. I didn't like how it loads...didn't like how it unloads and whatever I needed was always at the bottom. I sold it after the first ride.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  11. beezerjuice

beezerjuice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been wary of the hard panniers ever since my riding buddy broke his ankle on a slow speed fall down with his KLR. I have the same panniers on my DR and have suffered two slow speed fall downs without breaking anything. One compromise on the security issue would be to use soft panniers and a hard top trunk.
    AKstevo and Tewster2 like this.
  12. Hobo

Hobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snapped my left leg in half seven years ago off the Denali. Had to wait hours for a chopper, that was fun. I'd go with soft bags.
  13. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    D9376B2E-F670-4AEA-B669-D5FBE2D8BE39.jpeg 160E42D8-BFCE-480D-A3B9-8240A97AE1DB.jpeg
    I just scored these off an inmate here. They are 4 liters smaller than my hard cases, but I pack too much anyway. These are the Giant Loop Motekk and seem very well made.
    smilin jack and Beezer like this.
  14. Beezer

Oddometer:
    thats pretty much what my Ortliebs look like. I was thinking of the Loop itself
  15. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I have the second the point of security. Especially in Anchorage. I really like having hard bags that are slightly more difficult to break into than soft. There are a lot of sticky fingers in Anchorage and other populated areas.
  16. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
  17. beezerjuice

beezerjuice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to Mosko Motos website and took a look. They have a security strap with an embedded wire cable that looks good and I also like the fact that their panniers attach to existing tubular hard pannier mounts, like the ones (Motosport Panniers) I have on my DR. Also, the Motosport Panniers are not water tight. After a 200 mile ride through heavy rain, I had about 1/4 cup of water in one bag and about 1/2 cup in the other.
  18. beezerjuice

beezerjuice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    UPS brougt my 35 liter Mosko Moto panniers yesterday. Very robust--about 8 pounds each. I will be installing them today.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  19. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had anyone gotten one of these? Looks like the perfect solution for securing a backpack on my passenger seat. I’m just wondering how “stretchy it is” would you still need a bungee cord/rok straps?
  20. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    I bought one, but have not used it yet. It is not stretchy. It's a wire-rope net that closes as you draw the loop tighter. As shown, it's got a lock to secure it onto the bike. You'll still need to tie it down to the bike with straps. It looks pretty well made. I'll post some pic's of it on the bike when I get a chance.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.