Software / Online: Best for multi-day/month tours?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by EastRoad, Nov 25, 2020.

1. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    2021 approaching ;)
    what are your current favourite ways of mapping/planning complex multi-day/month tours?

Essentially I could use garmin's basecamp.. yup... it sucks in so many ways (sorry garmin, but that software needs a lot of TLC in my opinion)

What have you guys here used to plan your long trips..
    I'm looking at a 17-20'000 km trip over several weeks / months in 2021 if all works out well.

What international route planning software - preferably web-based / app based - is there that is ideal for:

- GPX Export
    - Able to plan complex / long routes ideally with segments...
    - able to do the exporting to / on a smartphone would be ideal.
    - Able to handle "off-road" parts would be sort of ideal... perhaps something that works with OSM maps?
    - able to switch between "use highway" - "avoid xx" on a single route... say from A-B I'd go "highway yes" but from B-C I'd like to avoid it ...

Most of the tools out there like rever seem to be focused on creating rides that don't span several days ....

last time I did this I segmented the trip in garmin's basecamp into:
    Route 1 - X to Y...
    Route 2 - Y to B...
    But if you change one thing it essentially requires pretty extensive re-planning.
    So I was wondering if there's a tool where I could essentially draw a SINGLE long Route... and then define "Segments" - rather than individual routes......
    or in software terms to keep the entire route a bit more "parametric" - meaning I can go back to chnage the route end re-adjust segments...

Or what has been your approach?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Plan each day as a gpx file through tom tom web site call it day 1 day 2 day 3 etc.. download in to your device..

Click the day you want then start riding
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    that's essentially what I've been doing ...
    it does "work" but I find it less than optimal ...

like being able to have a connected route for several days - easier to plan ahead - easier to modify - then export the segment you actually want to ride as a gpx.

with the Day-1 - Day-x method the problem is in rerouting ...
    say when you HAVE to change or WANT to change your itinerary at some point - none or at least some of the consecutive "day gpx" will match up again...
    but having "one" rout - that is "segmentable" you could modify that route and just re-export the modifications...

a bit like if you use a parametric 3D mechanical cad solution with a complex model consisting of several parts.
    you can go back to change one of those parts, and the entire assembly will be updated accordingly (as long as you don't fuck it up too seriously ;) ).
    something like that but for route planning was my idea...

well if it doesn't exist - it doesn't exist ... but if it does, maybe someone has found that?
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could do this with tracks. You could create a multiday track and then cut out a piece of it for each day.
    This is pretty trivial with Basecamp. Except you would have to be carrying a computer along to do the daily extractions and uploads to the gps.
    If you are hard over about navigating with routes you could still do what you want by converting your route to a track, doing the extraction, then converting that back to a route.
    Again trivial in Basecamp.

I don't think I would like trying to maintain a complicated multi-day trip on a cell phone screen which you would probably be using for an online solution.
    EastRoad likes this.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Furkot does that automatically with tracks.

What I usually do is then merge the "grand" track for display purposes, leave the daily and optional separate (and different colors), that way a quick zoom out gives me an idea of what I have nearby, and that works with the screen locked and just the volume keys so the phone is rain proof.
    EastRoad likes this.
  7. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something to look into: The newer versions of TomTom Go for Android (don't know about Iphone) has finally implemented a feature to work with their on-line planning tool at mydrive.tomtom.com. I've not had much of a chance to actually use it but in a few small tests, and it seems to work OK. I did try to import a .gpx file from another source, but that didn't work out.. I'll plan to look into this a bit further sometime.

The main reason I haven't tried it out much is I'm not really crazy about the TomTom mobile app. It works OK, but is lacking compared to my preferred navi app, CoPilot. A lot of small (but important to me) differences. With CP, I do most of my planning directly on my device, so no need to open a computer and connect to the internet. The only big feature lacking in CoPilot is importing .gpx files; the real reason I wanted to try TomTom to begin with.. Still, a lot of people like TomTom, so probably worth checking out if having a web-based planning tool is important!
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the TomTom MyDrive suitable for some basic nav and planning. I LOOVE that I can import a gpx track and have it show on the app and it gives me turn by turn, as long as the track stays on marked roads of some sort. If you go off road, it won't even load the GPX correctly.

For multi day, I use Furkot. It's the most extensive tool I have found for automating the fuel stops, food, camp/hotel, etc. With a subscription to their service, you can book hotels too. Trying to pick a restaurant/diner in a new town on your route? Just click the "maybe" option and select a few that sound good. When you get to that town, you can look at the options you have pre-selected to see which one looks best at the time.

While I can do this in Furkot from my mobile devices, it's much easier to deal with on a computer.