1. AVOID SCAMMERS!
      (1) Do not transact without protections in place! Different payment options may limit your payment protection
      (2) Use a payment service like PayPal WITH (!) purchase protection.
      (3) Terms like 'Friends and Family' are a warning that NO payment protection exists.
      (4) Avoid transactions with new members with no history and "family or friend of friend" offers.
      (5) If you do not understand the payment method you're being asked to use; stop and do not proceed until you do
      (6) If you receive a suspicious private message, click the "report" link and let us know!
    LISTINGS MUST INCLUDE: Price, Location, Product Description(s) and NO Links to CL or EBAY or your post will not be allowed. Read the rules!

Sold SOLD 1985 Honda XL600 LMF Paris Dakar SOLD (In Bend, Oregon)

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by ElvisRambler, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am selling a really neat bike, that I swore I would keep forever...but due to changes in riding style and time...I am wanting to buy a smaller trail bike. I had visions of restoring this bike and taking some epic long distance trips, but I have two small children so we spend a lot more time out on the trails and this bike just doesn't like to go slow in our rocky, technical trail-heavy area or Central Oregon.

This is a pretty rare bike in the US, and I don't hesitate when I say it is likely the only one in the US. It's a 1985 Honda XL600 LMF (PD04), and when I got it, it was pretty beat up. The previous owner said he used it in a few GP Endurance races here in Oregon, and I would believe that. The front headlight cover was missing, the ignition had been removed and an on/off switch wired in its place, it was missing the correct turn signals, the gas cap has been pried off/drilled out(lack of a key meant no gas cap key)...etc etc. So I washed it, and I began sourcing parts.

I replaced the ignition with a complete set that I bought from France, it was expensive but I was able to get keys, locking toolbox, ignition, and the gas cap! Lucky.

The dual headlight cover was very difficult to find, but eventually I had one made and since the headlight frame was still in tact I was able to attach it.

The gear shift lever that was on the bike when I got it had been sort of barely tack welded on (not sure how they thought that was going to work). Upon closer inspection, after cleaning it all up, the teeth on the shift shaft were worn but still use-able...but the lever itself was stripped. This bike was already running great, and in order to replace the shift shaft the cases need to be split. I did not want to tear the entire motor down just to replace that. So I put a newer Honda lever on it, clamped it down, and it worked. But, just to be sure (and again, I was planning on keeping this bike...and riding it until it needed a rebuild) I put a little bit of JB Weld on the shaft, and clamped it down to ensure no further stripping. I see no reason why it will not continue to work until a full re-build is justified.

I rode the work as an on-road commuter for a while but the grey primer paint was starting to feel boring and I really wanted to paint it. I was un-sure about the bike being a Pharaoh edition bike, as it had a red seat, but Honda was not able to confirm that to me so I decided to paint it in Paris Dakar colors as an LMF. Around this time, I had sourced a very rare aftermarket front fairing from a seller in Switzerland and I got excited about having a nice touring bike. I received the fairing and began the work of attaching it, which did require some head-scratching and long nights in the garage to make it fit correctly. Now that it was all put together, I began prepping for paint.

I setup a paint booth in my garage, and I was able to get nice results using automotive 4k clear-coat, and a decal set from Italy. (The photos below show the bike WITH the decals, and right after I painted it without decals).

The title is in my name, and is an Oregon title. When I registered the bike, it says it is 'branded' but they wouldn't elaborate on why...My assumption is that the bike was dropped and that insurance totaled it. I say this, because the handlebars were bent, and there was a minor dent on the tank on the same side. After I replaced the handlebars, I have had no issues with the bike in terms of tracking and riding at speed. Another theory that was presented to me was that the bike was branded because it was not a US market vehicle, but I don't know anything about that other than it is indeed not a US market bike. Either way, the bike runs and rides great, it is legally owned by me, and it can be transferred to whoever buys it.

So here is what I have now:

- Painted
    - New chain, rear sprocket, front sprocket.
    - New ignition, gas cap, tool box
    - Correct rear turn signals
    - Super rare aftermarket front fairing, with slightly smaller front turn signals
    - Oregon title (the title is 'branded')
    -

Extras:

- Dual headlight cover if you want to run it without the fairing (enduro style)
    - Handlebar mounted front turn signals, these are euro-spec (look great with the smaller headlight cover)
    - Cool front fender bracket(only works with the smaller headlight cover but looks great and allows for fender mounted luggage/tool bag, etc)

I am asking $4000 for this bike, or best offer(and I am ready to sell so please make an offer). Without justifying it too much...I recognize that this bike has some things that will eventually need attention, and maybe some things that aren't ideal..but it is very usable as is and could be ridden anywhere today. It's a very unique, collectible, 35 year old bike that is proven to be a workhorse. I would like to sell this bike, or trade for a smaller 2-stroke modern bike(230-300cc Beta, KTM, Husqvarna, GasGas,etc)

I am located near Bend, Oregon and I am willing to deliver it to most of the Western states. I am am also happy to assist with shipping if that is what the buyer decides to do. I can be reached here, or by text/phone at 541.977.5347

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Yes, its certainly the missing link between the air cooled single XL/XRs and the water cooled twins which dominated Dakar in the 90s. I love the big Dakar bikes of this era, and this is my second one...I had a heavily modified '83 Yamaha XT550 Dakar replica that I built myself. It was fast, but this bike is extremely comfortably to ride.

The nice thing about this bike is one does not need to be wealthy to be able to enjoy it (I know what you mean though, if I was wealthy and able to....I would keep it).

Thanks for the note.
  3. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I added new photos that I took this weekend. I also put a new battery in the bike, and lowered the price to $4000.
  4. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been riding the bike, and will continue to ride the bike until its sold but it is running and riding great. I recently shared a video of the bike running, and I am happy to share that with anyone who contacts me. I am surprised...but the bike is still for sale.
    Rokoneer and Gnarcosis like this.
  5. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bumping
  6. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bumping again. Bike is under quarantine...but it’ll still be for sale, and someone can enjoy after this mess is all over.

Stay healthy out there.
  7. ElvisRambler

ElvisRambler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Use your $1200 government check on this! Bumping....

Bike is now SOLD, thank you for all of the interest here.
    cmbthumper, geoduch and brgsprint like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.