1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD | LBS-Sidecars USA | For Sale - My Personal 2020 Gear Up, to Make Room and Fund the Cookie Jar

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Dec 27, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    2020_ural_gear_up_00.jpg

For sale, my nicely equipped and functionally upgraded 2020 URAL Gear Up, with a whopping 300 miles (yes, hundred, not thousand)! on the odo. Why?

Allow me to explain.

I build high-end highway and adventure touring sidecars. Though most of my builds are based on a BMW GS motorcycle, I’ve always had an Ural Gear Up in my stable over the years, four of them in fact.

Simply put, a Gear Up is the best value in a highly capable sidecar today. They’re just fun! In 2019, a new 2nd-generation close-loop fuel injection system was introduced. This 2020 model added Italian-made rims, forged brake caliper brackets, upgraded swing arms and fork legs with improved bearings, and upgraded sidecar body shock isolators.

I took delivery of this greatly-improved model earlier this year, but have been so busy with customer builds, I didn’t have the time to put many miles on it (oddly enough, I did find time to upgrade and accessorize it).

Just as I completed my final upgrades, I made the mistake of watching an Ural launch video for their just-introduced 2021 +GEO Limited Edition Gear Up (here is the YouTube link if you would like to view it, only 2-1/2 minutes long, super fun):

They had me at the donut (if you didn’t watch it, you won’t understand!). I immediately placed an order for one, with delivery in early Feb 2021. It’s the costliest Ural ever offered. I’m selling my 2020 to offset that cost.

Here are the details:

Year/Make/Model: 2020 Ural Gear Up

Color: Burnt Orange

VIN: X8JMH0378LU230412

Mileage: < 300 miles

Original MSRP: $17,549

Current NADA/KBB Retail Value: $14,750

Retail Value of Upgrades (not including labor): $4,003.89

Asking price: $16,750 (firm offers will be considered)

NOTE: I use a trusted motorcycle shipping company for my business. They are www.motoshippers.com I can arrange shipping, and MotoShippers only use fully-enclosed trailers. They are owner/operators, not brokers!

I may be contacted at (email): mmpaull@comcast.net

Here is the listing sheet:

2020_ural_gear_up_18.jpg

Out for an off-pavement day ride on the Olympic Peninsula:

2020_ural_gear_up_01.jpg

No other sidecar has the ground clearance, leading link suspension, three-wheel disc brakes, service brake, 2WD and reverse gear of an URAL Gear Up:

2020_ural_gear_up_02.jpg

My accessorized 2020 Gear Up:

2020_ural_gear_up_03.jpg

2020_ural_gear_up_04.jpg

2020_ural_gear_up_05.jpg

2020_ural_gear_up_06.jpg

Raceway Ural Twin Stick Forward/Reverse tank shifter kit is installed. Gear selector stick is high, the reversing lever is just under the tank. Also, just forward of the tank shifter, note the OEM BITUBO hydraulic steering damper (horizontal, with its red adjusting know on the end of the shaft):

2020_ural_gear_up_07.jpg

Also Italian-made, a stainless steel, lightweight 2-into-1 high pipe exhaust system. Very cool, and expensive!:

2020_ural_gear_up_08.jpg

Here is the GPS system before installation. And, for the record, though not rocket science, installation is “non-trivial”:

2020_ural_gear_up_09.jpg

Underside view of the 2-into-1 headers and collector:

2020_ural_gear_up_10.jpg

Mainly because I prefer the shape, I replaced the stock engine guard with this one, also from Raceway URAL. Then, to free-up space on the handlebars, moved the service brake lever to the engine guard and re-routed the brake cable:

2020_ural_gear_up_11.jpg

One mod, one upgrade. The outfit came with a rather anemic H4 headlight bulb. Found with massively heated-sinked one and installed it instead, super white LEDs (originally made for a Harley Davidson). Also, you wouldn’t know unless you owned one, but the ignition key is normally located where you see the turn signal. As it’s possible to break the key off as you’re pounding through the brush, I moved it to a more protected location on the other side of the headlight shell, then relocated the turn signal:

2020_ural_gear_up_12.jpg

Headlight ON!

2020_ural_gear_up_13.jpg

Three upgrades in the photo. (1) A heavy-duty nose rack, on standoffs (not included for some reason) that actually make it usable, as it otherwise site almost flush to the sidecar and this made it difficult to affix straps. (2) RotoPax fuel cannister. (3) RIGID Industries 6-inch LED lightbar, American-made, not a Chinese knock-off (shown prior to wiring in the photo, now wired to a handlebar-mounted switch):

2020_ural_gear_up_14.jpg

Heavy-duty rear cargo rack and taillight protector:

2020_ural_gear_up_15.jpg

Mounted two URAL “ammo” cannisters and holders to either side of the trunk. Not a lot of space available to the left due to the high muffler, or to the right due to the fender. These were the most rugged and lockable panniers I could source:

2020_ural_gear_up_16.jpg

And just because I'm admittedly OCD & anal, I replaced as many of the original factory coated steel fasteners (that I could access without a complete tear-down) with 300-series stainless steel button head hex screws, stainless washers, and stainless nyloc/Nylock nuts (original fasteners are included) <g>).

2020_ural_gear_up_17.jpg
  2. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, Oh, Mike you can’t do this. Tell me / everyone that your Ural is sold or you have taken a big deposit on it. Or please don’t post any more details, pics or post it for sale anywhere else. I am going to have nightmares now. But first I am going to reach for a glass of red wine.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    If only I had a bigger garage.

Anybody in the area WITH a bigger garage want to go halfsies with me?
    mikepa, Bobmws, LBS-USA and 2 others like this.
  4. rg sw wa.

Oddometer:
    I didn’t read that..........maybe I should switch to Lagavulian neat.
    mikepa, Bobmws, LBS-USA and 1 other person like this.
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    @rg sw wa. , I may shortly be joining you in that, over a plate of donuts with orange and white sprinkles on them of course!
    mikepa and Bobmws like this.
  6. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, good grief. I want this and want to ride it home. Really been itching for my first GUP.

Now, where to get the money...:hmmmmm
    mikepa and LBS-USA like this.
  7. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if only he wasnt all the way across the country, and I had any kind of good credit... Sweet ride tho, you may regret selling it..
    davebig and LBS-USA like this.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    . . . but I'm selling it only becuase I have one of these insanely liveried upgrades on order (all I need to do is the laborious process of replacing factory fasteners with stainless!):

geo.jpg
    TurTal likes this.
  9. rg sw wa.

Oddometer:
    Mike, how are you with vinyl wrap ? Was wondering, on the Yellow GU that you want to sell, how do you think it would look with some black, gray and light gray vinyl pieces on it like are on the 2021 GU that you are waiting delivery on ? Sooner or later I am going to talk myself into this, but maybe someone will buy it first.
    LBS-USA likes this.
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a bay I would devote to this...I’ll just need to borrow my half of the money from you on a sort of zero interest/zero payment kind of plan....
  11. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've actually been working on a peel and stick kit for just that scenario

Toughest part is not ruining the finish over time but I think I've got it figured out.......I think

Test results are mixed so far

JustKip and rg sw wa. like this.
  12. rg sw wa.

Oddometer:
    TurTal, any pics you can post of your art work ?
  13. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    I think wraps are a great option! That said, they're a bit tricky to apply on bikes, as there are lots of edges that require application of a more aggressive primer or adhesive to keep the edges from lifting and peeling. This also make the wrap a lot more difficult to remove, but, unlike paint, at least stripping only requires a heat gun and a ton of patience. Here's a nicely-executed custom graphics job on our very own @DRTBYK 's R12-LC:

20190715_145909.jpg
    TurTal and rg sw wa. like this.
  14. rg sw wa.

Oddometer:
    Mike, thanks for the info and the pic.. Did you do the wrap ? Excellent choice of colors and pattern. Do you think it would be easier to do on metal or fiberglass?
    LBS-USA likes this.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @rg sw wa. I'll interject if I may. Doing a complete wrap on a bike is very time consuming. I have done three in years past using clear wrap to protect paint on a couple of collector Ducati's that I owned and then my 1993 R1100RSL. There are a few techniques to doing a nice vinyl application but in general the key is getting the vinyl to lay smoothly on the relatively small compound-curved surfaces found on bikes and this is where the time-cost comes in. My rig in @LBS-USA (Mike's) post above has a combination of pre-cut vinyl and my own custom cut vinyl on the panniers and sidecar body. The supplier of the vinyl (Signature Custom Design) was very nice and provided me with sheets of their precut "kits" vinyl so I could cut the sizes/shapes I required so that the Kit and custom-cuts matched.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  16. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    @DRTBYK did all of the design, procurement and work. I'm guessing application would be about the same for either plastic, FRP/FRG or metal parts. I have seen where vinyl lettering causes a noticable "ghosting" or de-bossing when removed from fairly heavy paint, but have not seen that occur if it's a full wrap.
  17. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of money are they talking about?

The only thing I've ever wrapped was my tallywhacker and that was always well worth the money compared to child support, IMO.
  18. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    That's usually due to the paint fading from sunlight. I've removed taped pinstriping that was applied to a new vehicle. After 4 years it showed the same 'ghost' effect. Kind of kewl for striping, maybe not so much for lettering.