Sold my car. Just learning to ride with a new Africa Twin around TN/KY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DaCaton, May 26, 2019.

1. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    Hey, quick random question for you guys.

Does an Africa Twin constitute an Enduro motorcycle? All my buddies call it that when they see it, but I never see it called that online.

Also, I’m installing my outback mototek crash bars and Bumot panniers tomorrow.
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    AT fits into the the "Adventure Tourer"/dual sport class for what that is worth.
    Not a dirt bike or racing bike by any stretch of the imagination.
    A dual purpose is street legal with signals, mirrors, and street legal tires and a longer range transmission, Enduros are lighter, not street legal, more for the track or trail.
    I'm sure a lot more folks will chime in as lot of different thoughts out there.
    Just a good all around bike.
    vector6 and DaCaton like this.
  3. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oops, mistakenly deleted the ending "quote marks", so my reply looks like it's part of your quote.
  5. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    That’s exactly what I’ve been telling them, and got into a fun well meaning argument with my friend. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking, haha.
  6. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    It’s all good. I figured that much out, haha.

After riding more with the Carlsbad, I just needed to adjust to it. I’ve ridden on some great gravel roads near me in 90*f and it handled it great. I also have some Klim riding jeans and a Kevlar lined armored flannel that I use for casual around town riding.

Also went out riding today with a friend and he managed to absolutely destroy a little finch with his Ninja 300. His headlight got covered in blood. He’s a brand new rider too. I rode his little ninja and I felt like I was on a toy. Going from my AT to his bike, and me being 6 foot was great fun.
  7. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    Got mostly everything installed. Still need to throw the Baja designs on and a few other small farkles, like my sidestand foot enlarger. Outback mototek forogot to include all the bolts for my engine case guard, so I’m waiting on that

Touratech seat
    Outback mototek crash bars and skid plate
    Bumot panniers
    Ram phone mount
    Double take mirrors
    4E3B95A1-1D54-4CF5-83CE-C6A426BF4111.jpeg

C58A760E-0060-4A74-8306-64BAAEF5C58B.jpeg

Found a great deal on a rug, and brought it home on the bike. Strapped it to my crashbars and on top on my pannier.

Also, I went out to land between the lakes and dropped the bike in some mud on a steep hill. These stock tires need to be changed. They are okay as long as surface is dry, but this clay out here is brutal. It was the first drop with the crash bars on and they bent in and are about an 1/8th inch away from my bodywork now. I’m calling outback on Monday to see if I can get it sorted out. Very disappointed because I thought crash bars are supposed to withstand more than one near stopped drop. I was going maybe 5mph. On top of them forgetting the bolts for my engine guards.

I took the panniers off for going off road, but the mounts for them didn’t budge.
  8. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:
    Also, maybe I’m asking too much from these bars, but I just washed the mud off, and found that even at a near zero speed drop, a rock hit the crash bar and flattened the rounded part of the bar. I expect some dents and paint chipping, but in soft mud?

I don’t know. Maybe I should just be thankful the dent wasn’t on the bike. I’ll take a photo of the dent later and see what you guys think.
  9. KYVanVanMan

KYVanVanMan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hot and cold then use base layers. Can get on Amazon under $20 apiece on sale. Can wash at night and dry and ready to go in the morning.
    Soft luggage all day long. Might be a pain to get into but you will learn to keep what you need more accessible. Hard luggage can pin a leg or ankle and easily break it. Also with a solid hit can become bent and next to useless. A lot more expensive than soft luggage. Research the soft and systems for attachments. Some are very easy to use. Would never have bought a new expensive ADV bike and then learned to ride. A several year old KLR or VStrom would have been a better choice to learn from. $1000 for a pipe? Your choice but really a waste of your limited funds. Stay safe.
  10. Lostb4found

Lostb4found wrk2ride

Oddometer:
    this is great, at one time all I had was a nc700x and rode it everyday.studded tires in the winter and everything. I think I caught something in here about the mabdr. ill be riding a few boring sections of it starting the 12th. prolly 1-4.
    adventure on!
  11. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    That is odd. My Outback mototek bars took a good slide on asphalt and were stout....only the lower bars though. I don't have the extension / upper half.
  12. DaCaton

DaCaton Reckless

Oddometer:

I called Outback today to see, and also because of my missing bolts. They told me to take photos and email it and see what the factory says, since they have final say. If all else fails, I’m just going to re-order a new left side bar for like $100 and see how that goes with my lower engine case guards attached too. The company said that with each piece you add, the more sturdy it is.

Also, has anybody experimented with replacing the handlebars? I’m afraid the stock ones will bend if I drop it again. They seen flimsy.

Also got my outback center stand today, so hopefully will be able to mount that this week.
    Aces 6 likes this.