1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo attack on the COBDR- July 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mountainman13, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in early July I took on the COBDR solo on my 690 Enduro. I wanted to get this thread started now as I'm getting videos from that trip completed and I can update this as I finish them.

The trip down to Cortez, CO was pretty uneventful, because of COVID the Four Corners area was closed so I planned to start the trip from Cortez directly. One thing I had done which was slightly unusual was I planned on navigating using road books I created on Rally Navigator. I had wanted to do this on my AZBDR trip in May but hadn't gotten the controller in time for my tablet. I won't really speak to this much more as it worked perfectly and created no problems.

Day One: Cortez to Browns Gulch

This was originally planned to be just the first stage of the COBDR with a campsite at Mary E Campground just outside of Telluride. The riding was pretty mellow, Boggy Draw was very dry and dusty resulting in my first fall of the trip after I got cross rutted in a sand filled rut. Otherwise beautiful riding and easy progress until just outside of Telluride when I caught up to a rainstorm. Muddy conditions made it fairly challenging to the road and I ate lunch at the gas station near Telluride and waited for the storm to pass.

After an hour or so I headed back to the Mary E campground and found it had been closed and locked due to COVID (somebody explain how closing a distributed campsite helps with social distancing?). So instead I continued towards Ophir hoping to find a stealth campsite for the night. Unfortunately basically everything in that stretch is private property with regular signs reminding you NO CAMPING. Eventually I just decided to continue up and over Ophir, knowing it goes into national forest and dispersed camping after the summit.

DSC00856.JPG

Ophir was challenging but fun, I had to stop three or four times on the west face to wait for 4x4's and traffic was overall fairly heavy considering it was 4th of July. The loose rock didn't disappoint but I was able to make the summit without any trouble. I hung out there for thirty minutes or so and then prompted by ominous clouds moving in behind me headed down to try and find a campsite.

DSC00862.JPG

Thankfully I found a nice pullout near the trailhead at the base of Ophir and set up camp just as the rain/hail started. That storm moved through before too long and I spent the afternoon chatting with other campers and enjoying the scenery. We even had a juvenile moose run through camp after being spooked by a fisherman near the creek.
    DSC00876.JPG DSC00882.JPG DSC00892edit.jpg DSC00906.JPG DSC00915.JPG
  2. Mountainman13

Oddometer:

Day Two: Browns Gulch to Lake City

Got a bit of a slow start the morning of day two, everything was wet from the day and night before so I wanted to let things dry off as much as possible before getting going. I also ran into a small problem getting my bike to start (turns out the handlebar switch was slightly damaged from my fall the day before), not a big deal but slowed me down a bit.

Once I was moving things went a lot better. Ironton near Red Mountain Pass was muddier than expected, it even rained that morning slightly as I was getting into the area. Corkscrew Pass was probably the biggest surprise, everything was very loose, rutted up, and much more difficult than in 2018. A couple of falls, a little help from some Jeeps, and I got to the top without much more drama.

Between Corkscrew and California some weather moved through intermittently so I wasn't able to stop and fly the drone but was able to make decent time. Everything was in relatively worse shape than I had seen before. All the traffic I saw was SxS's and Jeeps, I saw two dirt bikes the entire day and speaking to other people I was the only bike they saw as well. In the higher elevations around Hurricane, California, and Cinnamon there were still snow drifts present but nothing I had to ride through. Fair amount of mud and wet conditions on each pass.

I didn't really have much problems with the traffic except for a group of Land Rovers who were obviously traveling together and didn't understand how to let traffic pass. I ended up having to pick them off one at a time while approaching Animas Forks. Everything was exceptionally green and the weather started clearing as I took on Cinnamon Pass. Decent into Lake City was uneventful, though I did get to see a large marmot and a lone Bighorn Sheep Doe hanging out on the side of the road. The first campsite I checked was Mills Creek and immediately found an open spot. I didn't want to risk finding other campsites full so I took it and settled in for the night.

DSC00889.JPG DSC00898.JPG DSC00920.JPG DSC00926.JPG
  3. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this was asked on your other thread but is your bike the Basel Rally Kit ?
  4. Mountainman13

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, it's a 2013 690 with the Basel Quest kit on it.
  5. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Nice work with the video editing. Enjoying your trip :thumb
  6. Mountainman13

Oddometer:
    Day Three: Lake City to Buena Vista

Stage Three of the Colorado BDR is overall very mellow, especially compared to the previous days antics. Only three passes (if you don't take the expert route), none of which are technically challenging and mostly just offer more majestic views of the Colorado backcountry. A couple sections of two track were definitely the highlight of the stage but could obviously be more difficult for those on heavier/larger bikes. Taylor Park is an area I'm familiar with and highly recommend if you want somewhere in central Colorado to get out and explore trails, just be aware there are some truly difficult trails meant for lightweight dirt bikes if you aren't paying attention to where you are going.

Today was the first day I saw other adventure bikers, though at this point in the trip I still have yet to see anyone doing the BDR. I scheduled a rest day in Buena Vista so I knew I had a short day of riding followed by a relaxing day to get ready for the rest of the route. Relaxed would be the best description for my travel on this day.
    cactus_reese likes this.