1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Continental Divide: The Hard Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mountainman13, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    I really wanted a T7 but decided on a 701 for the weight, but if you ride pavement a lot it would make sense I guess on a T7.

Great report and video's @Mountainman13 thanks for sharing your tracks, nice to compare the other tracks I have collected for the CDR.
    seasider and Mountainman13 like this.
  2. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Enjoying the videos. I can only imagine how difficult it is to put that together.
  3. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, video and once again thx for sharing the tracks @Mountainman13 . Curious how do you know the length of dirt and pavement you have left while riding? The only way I know is to zoom in on satellite and create separate tracks for each but man that's a lot of work. How do you do it?
  4. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I created my GPX file on Rally Navigator, it allowed me to drop waypoints any time I saw the road change. It was pretty accurate but had some areas where things were off by a few miles due to construction. Rally Navigator was great for figuring out the routes, being able to see trails and roads which weren't necessarily on Google. It also allowed me to drop in overlays for the CDT and Cannonshots routes so I had an idea of where I needed to be.
    jowul, #1Fan and mpusms like this.
  5. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this RR. Looking forward to the last video or two. And I think you do need to figure out how to make a living doing this. ;) You're really good at it! Thanks!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  6. Mountainman13

Oddometer:
    Montana Part Two

The last morning waking up in Lincoln, MT was shockingly cold. Honestly the temp probably hadn't changed that much but I didn't think to throw my mid layer on so I was shivering up until about 10:30AM. Between Lincoln and Kalispell was some of the prettiest and most engaging riding of Montana, you follow dirt roads around Seeley Lake and a Wildlife Refuge. None of it is particularly challenging, but it's a beautiful wrap up to the trip. North you dip back onto dirt roads and then it's into Glacier National Park. Unfortunately I hit Glacier on the Sunday before Labor Day so it was packed. If you can time it to be there on a weekday the traffic is much more manageable. After escaping the crowds of Glacier it was a nice easy 40 miles to the Trail Creek border crossing. Just a heads up, I knew I would not be able to cross into Canada due to COVID, however this crossing is not open normally due to the road on the Canadian side being washed out. If you want to get into Canada you'll need to follow NF-114/Trail Creek Road about 50 miles to US-93/Roosville and cross there.

From the border it was back to the hotel and prepare to get the hell out of dodge in the morning. The predictions on the storm had gotten worse so I was up and on my way at 6:30 the next morning. If I was able to stay in good weather my plan was to try and make it as far as possible (500 miles or more) before needing to stop just so I could outrun the storm. Unfortunately things didn't work out that way. The storm came in even quicker and nastier than expected and I eventually arrived home 4 days later in the back of my parents truck, the bike on a trailer, and me with a freshly dislocated shoulder. I really can't complain too much though, nothing really went wrong till the trip was technically over.

Happy to have shared the trip with everyone, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

20200906_145537.jpg 20200906_145539.jpg 20200906_172507.jpg DSC01286.JPG DSC01259.JPG 20200906_192851.jpg 20200907_073512.jpg 20200910_120357.jpg 20200910_135005.jpg

Attached Files:

7. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the great RR and sharing! I will read this more than a couple times I am sure.
    Mountainman13 likes this.
  8. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dad and Mom! :D

Nicely done RR that really illustrates the utility of that 690 and your determination. Thanks for all your shooting and editing time! BRAVO.
  9. Mcahron

Mcahron Love is "THE" Answer.

Oddometer:
    thanks for the report!
  10. outbacktm

outbacktm Bullrun Bison Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, Thank you
  11. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
  12. Mountainman13

Oddometer:
    I've gotten some requests for a full length version of the CDT trip (not split up into separate sections) so I'll be combining the videos and posting that on Wednesday. Below you'll find the full length track for the entire route. I would suggest breaking it up if you have an older GPS, it probably wouldn't be able to handle a file this size. If you're using a phone or tablet like I was there shouldn't be any problem with using it.

I had a hell of a time, if I did it again I would probably take more time, a slightly smaller bike, and one or two friends along. I really look forward to the idea of other people giving this route a shot and seeing the kinds of experiences they get out of it.

Thanks for coming along everyone.

Attached Files:

13. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding RR and videos to boot. This will definitely be my CGT track with a bit of Cannonshots sprinkled in. Hoping that Canada will open up when I ride it. Cheers.
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn @Mountainman13, that's an inglorious way for such an epic trip to end; though glad it happened after you'd made it to the border and were on your way back south.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to get the videos together; I know how long it takes to sort through raw footage to find the good clips and then figure out how to splice them together on the timeline. Curious - what app are you using to edit..Premiere, Final Cut, something else?

And also a big thanks for posting your GPX files. I'm going to try and make this trip work as a way to mark the next half-century of life; we'll see if I can get the logistics sorted to do so.

I know you were staying true to the CDT, but did you look into doing more off-road riding during the 2nd half of MT? Might have looked like lots of asphalt with the side trip to Glacier.

Thanks again man, appreciate the effort you put into this RR.
    flying.moto likes this.
  15. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    A big Thank You from me as well. This has been a wonderful report to follow with the video and the GPX it really adds to the report.
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting all this information. I'm a big believer in sharing tracks and info, and this is all good stuff. I'll be doing it this summer on a Tenere 700, wife on a VanVan 200, so we will likely stick closer to Cannonshot's route unless I can convince her to give some of your tracks a go.
    Mountainman13 and crownhorse like this.
  17. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man

Oddometer:
    outstanding. thanks. may have to follow your route in 2 years. got a TAT run to tackle this summer with a bud.
  18. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work both the riding and video editing and the report
  19. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a CRF300Rally to augment the Africa Twin for rides just like this!
    Pedaled the Monarch Crest Trail in '18 (opposite direction). When I saw the rock slide and trail cutting through it I was like, "HEY!" That was a great 30 mile pedal.
    Motivating!
    Thanks for the RR and great video.
  20. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, great RR, too bad it ended the way it did. Hope the shoulder is better. You need to hit Going to the Sun rd either early morning or dinner time, then it is a sweet ride, midday it is a parking lot.