1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Continental Divide: The Hard Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mountainman13, Oct 29, 2020.

1. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for taking me along this magnificent trip. Sometime it felt I was there with you cheering you on. Sometimes I felt the pain when you fell over. I do that a lot BTW. The beauty of the country is just amazing and being able to experience it on a MC is so unique. None of the trips I have done can compare with this. Your video work is excellent and like someone said, you should be able to monetize reports like that. You need an empresario :drifso to speak
    Sorry for the little mishap at the end of the trip :muutt but I hope you recovered well. Thank you, thank you:beer
    Mountainman13 likes this.
  2. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic videos, man~! :ricky:bow:bow:bow:bow

I really am lacking patience to do video editing! Not acting skills... although should have a really wicked wipeout footage here and there :lol3

Just catching up with your RR, and boy I am reliving my GWT ride years back, as I did hit the CDT from southern WY and up too, as the other ends about there.

While on it, have you noticed that more of the "city cow" types just look at you while the country variety tend to run? Funny how that is :rofl

Mosquito pass... I have tried it twice now, and both times ride out just off season and it was sooooo snowed in that it would be tacky even on a snowmachine :photog I will be back...

Tincup... did you buy a Tin Cup in Tincup, CO?

[​IMG]

Kudos for not giving up on the pass though! :clap

Hancock pass was Ok for me, and I made it all the way to the Tunnel but Tomichi made me turn around. I wasn't getting anywhere fast on it... and only had a few days to get back to work :lol3

Edit: My ram mount GPS setup failed in the Death Valley too, but for me the ball snapped off the peg on the wonderful washboard :hmmmmm

Again, fantastic videos! :clap Thank you for sharing!
    waylongway and Mountainman13 like this.
  3. Kegler

Kegler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thoroughly enjoyed this ride report.
    I think you should pursue doing this full time, as it is clear to me that you have a knack for it.
    I'm nearly 63, so the ship has sailed for me, but don't let it sail without you on board my friend.

Thanks for taking us along!
    outbacktm likes this.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this report. It was a great set of video journals. Hope your shoulder is doing better. I was wondering if you would list your cameras and video editing programs? Are you doing all of your editing after you get home? Are you running the editing software on a mac or PC?

KR
  5. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back on the first page I go over all the cameras I used. As far as video editing software I'm using the Cyberlink Director Suite system of programs on a PC. Cheaper than Adobe and allows all the same capabilities without the cloud subscription. I've been using Cyberlink since about 2015 and really like their workflow.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All after you got back? How many hours do you think you spend on each installment?

KR
  7. fwbulldog

fwbulldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for posting. I'm from Rifle, Co. Went to UCCS in Colorado Springs and lived there for a long time. My brother and I are going to do the CDT next year. I'm on a Tiger 900 RP, he's on a 790. Can't wait. Still in the "collecting gear" phase. Just got my Mosko luggage yesterday. Thanks so much for posting the GPX files, and sharing the video. Really inspires me to get to work.
  8. rageabout

rageabout Say my name

Oddometer:
    How were you able to get Mosko luggage? Their website shows practically everything sold out.
  9. fwbulldog

fwbulldog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By sheer accident I checked the flea market 20 minutes after a guy posted some 35L panniers, and they just happened to be (almost) local. They look brand new, and came with a bunch of extras. Happened to be in the right spot at the right time with cash in hand, I guess. It's funny, I've missed out on so many of those deals. "oh, sorry, just sold them". Ha, not today. :)
    hamish99, rageabout and 250senuf like this.
  10. shalbleib

shalbleib Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok now I feel stupid. I though the CDR was the same as the great divide...are they 2 totally different routes? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything specific to the Great Divide other than a mountain bike specific route...
  11. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    The original was the mountain biker route, north to south. When we did it in 2003 we ordered maps from them and got on google earth to make our own gps point to follow. Sense then several others have "modified" the route with there own versions.
    Mountainman13 and shalbleib like this.
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. SupRBeeADV

SupRBeeADV n00b

Oddometer:
    looking for your gpx files
  14. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    GPS tracks are scattered throughout RR after an installment.. check it out
    Mountainman13 and SupRBeeADV like this.
  15. pokette

pokette n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent Video's and VLog - enjoyed all of it.
    I'm doing something similar going St. Louis to Seattle and back, doing part of this and part of backcountry routes on my new ride.
    Mountainman13 likes this.