Solo Cross Country On A Scooter :-)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Sbless, Mar 31, 2016.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Don't hold up on the introspective posts - most of us have a soft spot for knowing what's going on inside someone's head. Take a look at AntiHero's rider reports - they're as much or more about his thoughts as the places he goes.

Yes, and yours would most certainly fall into the 'Epic Ride Reports' section. I've cross posted between here and a personal blog, mostly just copy/pasted... don't think we need some kind of bespoke narrative.
  2. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    goodwill has an online site similar to eBay.
    army surplus stores frequently have waterproof rucksacks at reasonable prices. Lots of churches and VFD's have "suppers" on the weekend, great place to stop for a meal and conversation.
    Should be a fun trip, you've allowed adequate time to wander and enjoy. If you want any info on the BRP NC/VA region let me know.

Enjoy.
  3. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Th
    Thanks for the info about John Downs!! I will for sure check that out. Sounds like your adventure was a blast too :)

Good info on the rain gear, I will check that out. And yeah, layers will probably be the way I go as I already have good stuff from skiing!

I totally agree on the tools, when I get whatever I get, that will be my first mission to do a mini-break down sesh to make sure I can!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) That's generally what I'm going for is to let the adventure unfurl below me and to try to get out of the way :p
    dzaeske likes this.
  4. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, awesome! I will keep that in mind :)
  5. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I will be starting my atlas drawings here shortly and will be using this as a reference!!! Haha. :)
  6. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, and for tank range, I'm expecting around 100mi. I will FOR SURE be bringing some extra fuel :)
  7. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the follow up!!! Picking and choosing roads will probably followed by gas choices and Google imagery, then a coin toss haha. We will see ....
    Roadscum likes this.
  8. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and YES! So stoked on Pie :-) I actually think I will be passing by that area, so pie will probably have to happen :p

Rain gear, 50% there, need to settle on the top half.
  9. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds amazing! I will be poking around your report shortly :-) Thanks for the advice on the stove, I will have to look into that.
  10. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YES, that sounds so awesome. I am googling that immediately :-)
  11. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for more awesome inspiration :-) June can't come fast enough!
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Therma Rest Deluxe was the go to pad for ages. Self inflating (which is bogus as you need to fill it with air). Used ones are $50 ish.
    I'm sure there are many other choices now. Get the BEST one you can, don't skimp. I use a pump from Walmart 12v. (fit a SAE Battery tender tail). Not a tire pump AN AIR PUMP. TIRE PUMP WILL TAKE THREE HOURS TO PUMP UP A 2'' thick pad.
  13. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I had no idea about Goodwill, silly in that I have spent so much time in there :p I so plan on stopping anywhere I can "talk story". I will for sure hit you up as I get to that segment of trip planning!
  14. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Scooter touring sounds like a great idea :). Subscribed for further updates :)
  15. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  16. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great adventure, Sbless. I'm subscribed. I'm a sucker for small bikes making big miles!:clap The Pacific Northwest might be out of your way, but summertime here makes people forget the rain the rest of the year. You make it to Seattle, beer's on me. Safe travels!
  17. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! The coleman sounds like a very good option. It looks like there are a few kicking around on eBay too :-)

I will probably be doing mini test runs with loads, and practice changing a tire... that sort of thing. But I have a feeling the trip it self will be the shakedown. We will see!

Earplugs/rain gear, check and check!
  18. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks :p I do love the PNW, however this trip will probably not include a northern passage. If I do end up making it that way, I will for sure be in touch!
  19. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I really like my Hi-Tech self inflating pad I bought for $50 I think? You do have to put a few breaths in it, but don't need a pump. It also helps a lot insulating from the cold ground.

FYI: 150cc and 250cc scooters both require the same license. I was curious if there were many of the larger scooters available on SF Craigslist, and to my surprise there were not. Almost all 150cc models. I did see this nice one for a decent price. I think the Aprilia scooter get about 70mpg, but have 2.5 gallon tanks for really good range. More weight capacity for gear as well.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5521533019.html

[​IMG]
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  20. Sbless

Sbless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are awesome! Thanks for sharing the scooter find :clap
    I do have an insulated ground pad... I was thinking that was going to be too big/bulky. As I spend more time thinking about sleeping on the ground, an insulated pad will probably be the best bet!