Solo Europe 8000 km+, 25 countries, 45 days

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by frrrka, Jun 24, 2018.

1. frrrka

frrrka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!
    Finishing a route for my first trip which will begin in a week. The main purpose is to have fun and a good time and not only riding like a hell. I'm thinking of doing nearly 300-500 km in a one day and to rest the another day (sometimes to make more and to rest 2 days).
    Can you give me any advices, recommendations, tips? Especially about Albania and Kosovo.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...o4&ll=47.29382500281481,12.93525861796877&z=5

Thank you in advance!
    530rider likes this.
  2. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Hello.

Over the last years a lot of the roads in Albania have beed paved - in fact, some already show potholes again. So you can get around on any type of bike. People are welcoming, and the scenery is great. There aren't many camp sites, but the ones I've been at were great. Here's an (incomplete) list of camp sites. It's German, but you can use google translate or just use the GPS coordinates: http://www.offroadreisen.org/REISEN/EUROPA/ALBANIEN/ALB-Camping/AL-Camping.htm

I don't like the flat area along the coast / Tirana, and would always stay in the Mountains. If you want to get from Shkodra to Kukes, you can take a boat / ferry across the Koman reservoir lake. Very relaxing 3hr ride, but may only leave a few times a day. If not, you can go directly east on the SH5, instead of heading south first.
    More tips and places to see can be found in my ride reports, but you'll have to browse quite a bit, as it covers multiple trips over the last years.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/exploring-the-balkans-and-a-bit-of-turkey.926839/

Take notes and photos, so you can report back to us!:lurk
    Pip

[​IMG]
    TheBritAbroad and dooby like this.
  3. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I skiped kosova. As a husband wife teem i think it would be fine. But warning from a wife wife team. I didnt want to bother.
    Albania is amazing. In the states it has a bad reputation. Heavy crime from albanian gangs . not in albania. No money. We got chased down by a scooter. I finnaly pulled over in a crowded spot. They saw irish tags and just wanted to help. Our gps was out of its area. Not willing to spend 80$ on a new one the guy illigaly set it up for 10$
    The roads are fine. Might be cows in the round about. Think we camped at albi. Eat the fish on lake ohcrid. There indangerd for a reason.
    45 days wouldnt get us out of France. Slow down. See everthing. Eat drink make freinds. Distance dosnt prove anything.
    Heading to the hu meeting at dougs place. Race out and slow trip back. Thomase camp in croatia is s must.
  4. frrrka

frrrka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pip, thank you a lot!
    I enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing pics. Enduro-touring is what I wanna do next years. My another dream )
    I will be taking notes and pics for sure but probably won't have any time for reports during the journey except posting to instagram and fb. But when I come back - yeeees )
    Thank you once again for the useful information )
  5. frrrka

frrrka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    You think there could be some gender problems in Kosovo? What does wife wife team means?
    I'll have a stay in Split and then will go directly to the Plitvisky lakes so most probably skip this camp. But anyway thanks for the tip )
    I'm thinking where to stay on my road from Nice to Geneva when I'll be taking Grande Alpes route. Do you know smthng?
    Thanks!
  6. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    I never felt unsafe in the countryside, but as in all other countries, I would expect troublemakers near big cities or highway rest areas. Once, the locals warned us about a guy near our bikes, as they had never seen him ...
    The trout in lake Ohrid is tasty. There is a restaurant/campsite/fish farm about 10km north of Pogradec I've always stayed at. Being a fish farm, I hope the fish in the restaurant is sustainable.
    :dukegirl
    You are welcome.
    :-)
  7. 530rider

530rider Adventure Ready

Oddometer:
    sounds cool, I'd like to do this in the future, probably rent a bike a spend a month traveling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  8. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the gay couple we met had issues. Not being served in resturants and general discrimination. The enter exit of Kosovo had me confused as well.
    If you get to nice. Its a short farry to Corsica. Just zoom in on google maps and look at the roads. Its amazing. Great food and people. Local wine and blackbird pate. If you know how to sail. 20€ got us a small cat for a few hours.
    Archies camp app. Its saved us all over Europe. Never plan ahead. Allways had a camp. There is a motorcycle b&b in Zagreb. Lobagola. And another moto camp in france. Motocamp.com i think. We had a miserable expensive time there. You might have a bigger budget and better luck.
  9. francs

francs Been here awhile

Oddometer: