[Solo Female] Lost my job due to covid - only one thing to do: 48 state USA motocamping trip!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Spindr, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveWave

DaveWave Sometimes you win...sometimes you learn.

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea to head out to see the U.S.A. So much to see and experience...many of us are jealous. Just have to wonder how long you're going to last until you end up on a Dual Sport bike...? Even though your Suzuki is a great little bike, I can't imagine you'll be able resist the bug of getting a D/S bike by the time this ride is over...especially if you spend any time at all on this site. :-)
    toypro1 likes this.
  2. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no words. :clap:clap:clap NICE trip!
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I got laid off once and thought about just taking off on a months-long moto trip.. Unfortunately, it was February in upstate New York with feet of snow on the the ground. Ended up finding work a few weeks later and never got to do that epic-ally long trip. Some day! Ride safe, have fun, take lots of pictures. It's a neat country out there.
  4. Motormom

Motormom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in! so great to see another lady on wheels!
    Enjoy every minute!
    Room for you here on Long Island, NY, although this is not a very desirable place to ride .
    (Although taking the ferry from New London to Orient Point Is a nice option, and the East End is pretty)
    Safe travels!
  5. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In for the ride!
  6. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    Next time I'm looking for someone to put me up I'll just steal your pic. Seems to have worked a trick with all of these helpful old goats around here.

Lol, ride safe.
  7. kuri77

kuri77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two people have warned you about the timing chain adjuster but you haven't acknowledged them so I'll be the third. I have a Verslavy installed on my 2011 and without it if your chain lets go you get to buy a new engine since it pretty well toasts all the insides. Here is a link so you can see what you're up against. Even if your bike doesn't need one now it will. Have Verslagen mail one to you a couple of weeks ahead of your location now. He is the only supplier and Suzuki dealers will plead ignorance of any possible problems.
    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

Hopefully you already have one installed. It's easily a DIY project. Take up one those guys' offers for garage and tools when you get the Verslavy. Have a safe trip. Have enjoyed the posts so far.
  8. panelman

panelman n00b

Oddometer:
    Have a great adventure I'm sure you will love every moment of it, I did a 6 week ride up in the Pacific North West in 2004 with a mate from here in NZ had a great trip but not long enough, was looking at doing it again at some point, but Covid arrived, keep the posts coming, stay safe & have fun. cheers from NZ
  9. freebirrd44

freebirrd44 freebird

Oddometer:
    Im following from Perth Australia too. I love these big rides, which bring back memories! Stay safe! Fair winds
  10. freebirrd44

freebirrd44 freebird

Oddometer:
    Loving the videos. You go girl!
    Loving the videos. You go girl!
  11. hartselrider

hartselrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    please keep posting. you are a refreshing change for this group. Great photos and video. If our quarantine for visitors ends, come to Hawaii. I've got a guest room and an extra bike or 2 for you to ride.
  12. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    Bravo !
  13. goodquest

goodquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in
  14. TravelBike

TravelBike keep on..... :-)

Oddometer:
    in ! thanks for sharing
  15. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just guessing the Savage has screw and locknut type valve adjustment (because most old bikes do). If so, anybody that has done one can help you out. They are super simple. If the bike is not hard to start, your valves are probably fine, that's usually the first symptom. Hopefully somebody responded in the following 3 pages (this was posted on page 5) and you can get it sorted. When you get to East TN, I can help out with anything you need. If you look at Butler maps and want to "ride them all" you'll be stuck here for a long time, they have highlighted almost everything. :lol3
  16. BarnacleBlimp

BarnacleBlimp n00b

Oddometer:
    The 29 second clip of Beartooth had me hooked. That was a great bit of serendipity, swapping sd cards .
    I have subscribed on YT and look forward to the written word and photo's on here.
  17. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct on the screw and locknut. They aren't bad to adjust and not even too bad to get to for the adjustment.
  18. StinkyLouie

StinkyLouie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Spindr, when and if you ride into the SW of Colorado/SE Utah I'd be happy to click you in with a nice ride and places to stay with the local rider network. Happy landings.
  19. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101 and Baroquenride like this.
  20. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh...
    Following. If you’re in need near the Jacksonville Florida area give a shout.

Enjoy the ride!
    Brian and Margaret
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.