[Solo Female] Lost my job due to covid - only one thing to do: 48 state USA motocamping trip!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Spindr, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ride4Life4Ever

Ride4Life4Ever Is it beer time yet?

Oddometer:
    Good on ya girl!
    I'm not going to offer you accommodation or even meet you on your journey, but l will advise you to look at settling in a countryside area away from the bloody cities with all their issues with "whatever"!!
    We live in NW Arkansas & the people are friendly, very little political issues, lovely countryside, empty roads, cheap living/housing, 4 seasons, & as a Brit, l would advise you to enjoy your stay in the USA, but being the age you are, l wouldn't plan on staying, & would set my sights on one day returning for that idyllic life in NZ!
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. Bobalouy

Bobalouy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way to go. That drone footage is very cool.
  3. Overandunder

Overandunder It's a way of life

Oddometer:
    You've got to know how inspirational this is for those of us who feel a bit stuck. Take special care, and keep showing how it can be done!
  4. ridehappy

ridehappy n00b

Oddometer:
    You are living my retirement dream... I'm in to follow the rest of your journey. As a fellow woman rider, I say do while you have the time...I have to wait another couple of years. When you are passing through south western, PA, maybe we can meet up.
    panhead_dan likes this.
  5. wesleystubbssandel

wesleystubbssandel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love that you're doing this on a small single banger bike - I did something similar on a 1971 R50/5 once. It shows that you don't have to have a lot of money or horsepower to enjoy touring. I'd skip the Florida leg of the trip - pretty much the same thing all over the state without relief. If you get a chance add the Natchez Trace ride - One gas station in 200 miles.
    Foiler and Baroquenride like this.
  6. rymerc

rymerc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my wife was interested in your gear list, but wanted more detail since she nerds out on that stuff.

every other girl she sees posting about moto-camping makes her 1% more likely to finally give in
  7. 08HBY

08HBY n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm IN...THX for sharing! Love it!
  8. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    Okay I'm, in keep posting please ! I just discovered you and will view your videos next. Southern New Jersey across the river from Philadelphia; comfy IKEA sofa bed, garage and tools if you need it. Oh and I must say I like the color of your Suzuki because it's the same as mine ! Motorcyclepedia museum in Newburgh ,New York in the Hudson valley is a worthy stop, as is Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley North Carolina, the entrance to the Smoky mountains National Park. Northern New Jersey has the nicest motorcycling roads as it's mountainous there. Down here it's kind of flat but we have the Pine Barrens, 1.3M acres of wilderness in the most densely populated state. FB_IMG_1590405343904.jpg
  9. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Skip Atlanta is best advice.
  10. Sandspur

Sandspur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across your story and plan to read it all. I'm preparing for a 3000 mile trip of my own in October.
    Be safe and if you make it NC drop me a note, I'd be glad to show you the Blue Ridge Parkway and other beautiful mountain passes.
    Safe place to stay or a safe place to tent if you are in need.
  11. ibmindless

ibmindless n00b

Oddometer:
    We swapped SD cards and were able to capture once in a lifetime footage of each other driving Beartooth Pass, which is rated the #1 road in America by some publications (lots of stunning hairpin turns and switchbacks - climbing 5000 feet through alpine lakes, glaciers and wildflowers..phwoar!) I did a little 30 second edit of that if anyone needs convincing its a must do bucket list road:

Gin Wigmore music!
    roadcapDen and GZkiller like this.
  12. Wayneno

Wayneno n00b

Oddometer:
  13. Wayneno

Wayneno n00b

Oddometer:
    You are on a fantastic adventure! And, you appear to be enjoying and documenting it well. If you care to share your travels so far, my wife and I would love to talk to you and share our 41 years of riding together and touring. We are located about 30 miles south of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Safe travels.

Wayne
  14. ibmindless

ibmindless n00b

Oddometer:
    Gee, it might be interesting to know WHO the Towing company/owner was.

From your article on advpulse.com:
    One of her toughest days was when she blew a rear tire in Yellowstone and had no service to call for help. Unable to change the tough road tire herself, Nikki tried to call for assistance using her Garmin InReach, but her insurance company was reluctant to help. Eventually, Nikki was forced to pay an exorbitant $600 for a 25-mile tow to the nearest town.
  15. GZkiller

GZkiller n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice. I haven't had time to read through your post because I just signed up. I have been on the rode for a little over a month. Crossed all of Ohio S to N and then ride 2000 miles Michigan: Lake Huron and Lake Superior and a lot of National Forest land. Cross the Northern part of Wisconsin and Minnesota and went to the Black Hills of SD for Sturgis although I spent 99 percent of my time in Nemo. Then I rode to Denver and camped in the Rockies. Rode SW in Colorado to Arizona and rode through the Sonoran Desert and now I am at a campground in Ramona, CA. I plan on spending some time here with my son and then probably head towards Nola. I'm riding a GZ250 Suzuki. Talking back rides and I can only go 60 without blowing my engine.
    i4bikes likes this.
  16. GZkiller

GZkiller n00b

Oddometer:
    I hit send before I edited. Oooops ;) I'm old and that's my excuse. Anyway ride on... Hope your trip is going well!
  17. Lowrider49

Lowrider49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey...I'm gettin up there too but just bought a gently used 2008 Bandit 1250s and once I get it outfitted I'm headed for the "road to the sun" for the 7th time. Living in the ID panhandle makes it a short ride over there but I'm convinced you can't go there too many times. Been there twice on the Harley and once on my DRZ 400 the rest in a cage with family/friends. NOTHING is like being there on a bike so just DO IT!
    FasTriumph and glasshousebc like this.
  18. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to have this adventure to follow. Stay safe and have fun!
  19. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    wOOw well done you.....Respect...!

Awesome photography, which camera are you using can I ask please..? Have a fantastic trip, ride safe and enjoy yourself......I'm kinda jealous.

Have fun, enjoy the vast experiences.

Regards;
    Peter
    Scotland
  20. Farkledonkey

Farkledonkey Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is so awesome...I did something similar as I am currently in limbo with my job and was going nuts at home just waiting. I have been furloughed since March! I decided to do a trip to Glacier similar to spots you visited you can see my post here. Dang I thought I brought a lot of stuff with me. Looks like you have everything you need there. I decided against carrying extra fuel container. My range was only about 175 miles so I got gas when I saw it if I wasn't in a familiar area. I agree some of the most valuable things to me were my phone and my INVERTER. I had my inverter crap out in the middle of nowhere and needed to find another asap...ended up getting one from a Harley Dealer in Bozeman MT. I really wanted to get an INREACH as I knew it would be a good tool if I had an emergency or break down in a remote area. I am sure you will agree that meeting people along the way was the best part of the journey. With the lack of a job I also had to be very frugal and only focus on the essentials such as food and gas. Wish you the best on your future travels!
    i4bikes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.