Solo Flat Tire Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Hooked up with my old RATpack buddies for a little bit this morning. Did some nice back roads and a covered bridge. I knew I wouldn't be happy riding street all day so I let the leader know I'd be dropping off at the first gas stop. I took some pictures of the group while on the road, but they all came out blurry, so I'll spare you all the bad shots.

Stopped by one of my favorite little mess around places only to find the sign below...THOSE BASTARDS!!

Attached Files:

2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I wish they had been open, could have told me what to expect later in the day.

Attached Files:

3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Found a great new road, but half way up, big yellow POSTED signs, damn! This part was real nice though.

Attached Files:

4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Cool pole line shots.

Attached Files:

5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Going the other way, same pole line.

Attached Files:

6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Cool bridge.

Attached Files:

7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    My buddy's brother used to live in the trailer. I bet I could save a bundle on rent if I could talk my wife into moving. It's got running water, it runs down the stream next to the trailer.

Attached Files:

8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I'm on my way home and the 950 is handling kind of funny. I stopped and checked the front tire, seemed fine. Continued on for a while and things got worse. Pulled over and sure enough, back tire was flat, DOH!

Attached Files:

9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Called the wife and told her to load up the truck and meet me at a gas station a half mile down the road. When I got to the gas station, I filled the tire to see how far it would leak down until the wife came to get me. I really, really, hate loading the 950 into my dinky little Ranger. 30 minutes later my lovely lady arrives with the truck. Check the tire pressure, just about flat. Well, if I can get 30 minutes out of this tire, I can make it home without loading it on the truck. So, I put about 45 pounds it the tire and took off! It's just about all highway, and I'm thinking, "Ride it like you stole it!" About 2 miles from home I can tell it's flat again. Another mile and I stop at the Jiffy Lube I frequent. I'm pulling in and the guy is waving me over to the air hose, it must have been pretty bad if he could see me coming! The rear tire was so hot it had stuff stuck all over it! He fills the tire for me and I'm off. Over the curb and down the grassy bank, I take the back streets the rest of the way home.

I got a spare tube, and all the stuff to change it out. I know it worked on my old 250, I don't know if I'll be able to get the tire off that 950 though.

Attached Files:

10. acupuncture4u

acupuncture4u Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer:
    Flats suck, shouldn't we have some sort of tire that can just adhere to what's inserted into it. Some sort of foam to seal the wound after the puncture material has been removed. Ok science we're waiting.
  11. FreeBird

FreeBird Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm guessing you didn't go to Ephrata today - I didn't make it there but I did manage to put 100 miles on the DR anyway. At a fuel stop I talked to a dude on a Harley that made it there though, he complimented my bike and said that adventure bikes are all the rage down there lately. I questioned the validity of such a statement. He said there's allot of them and that they got more attention today than most other bikes there. Said over 2000 bikes showed. Maybe two 950's would turn some heads next month!

Sorry to hear bout the posted signs AND the flat. Sounds like a bad day.

Oh yeah - hit 70 in 5th today finally.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. BJZ

BJZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me on Sat. I lucked up and was near a motorcyle dealer who changed it out. Road it slow for 3 miles flat. Took him about an hour start to finish. How long would it have taken me on the side of the raod with no bead breaker?
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I pussed out. I'm taking the wheel to the shop tomorrow and letting them change the tube on their machine. I boogered up the rims on my 250 changing tires, I'll let the trail booger up these rims.
  14. MotorMike

MotorMike Adventure Dork

Oddometer:
    You should change the tube out in the garage. It will give you an idea how bad it is.

One day while out dead end riding, finding out where in the hell all those roads go, I got a flat on the f650. The first vehicle that stopped had five hicks in it, three rifles and may be four teeth between them all. They wern't too happy that I was in their woods. They told me of someone that could probably help, then a nice hippie couple pulled up with their kids. He took me back to their place and we pulled the tube out of his bike. I replaced the tube and rode home. About a week later I loaded up all the used dirt bike tires I had, whent down and bought a couple of tubes and the counter shaft sprocket that his bike needed. I drove out to their place and gave him all the things he needed to get his bike back up and running. He was so fucking happy I think he could of just shit. He said that it was better than christmas.

I doubt seeing the state of their place (no power, just a couple of travel trailors with lean-to's attached) that he would have been ever to afford the parts to fix his bike let alone the tube that he gave me so willingly.

One good turn deserves another.

Well that was the day I figured out how to use the center stand to break the bead and then change the tube with the measly tools under the seat of an f650.