Solo from CT to Tuk and Deadhorse in 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Nov 23, 2019.

1. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    At what speeds and altitudes is the 270 rang at?
    On the first leg of the Dempster your typically 45-60mph and at elevations 2-4k. The EFI will lean your engine out as necessary depending on barometric pressure and altitude compensation.
    At sea level to 2k ft and 70-80mph i typically get 180mi out of 4gal. On that leg of the Dempster I made it into Eagle Plans without using my reserve fuel.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used K60's on my ride to Tuk and there were times that a more open center would have been better. They lasted the full trip and I used them the rest of the year. The front tire looked like it could do the trip again!
    I had bought a Mitas E07+ Dakar for the rear and a Mitas E07 Dakar for the front for the trip but after reading that the (+) didn't last as long as the standard E07 I switched to the K60's. I just installed the E07's but tire life isn't a concern now.
    If I did the trip again I would use the K60's or have the E07's installed in Whitehorse.

If someone says they used a E07 it does make a difference if it was a E07 or an E07+.

My new E07+ Dakar.

[​IMG]
    wilfred, bobw, Bigbob1 and 4 others like this.
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    My max range was 270 miles and I brought some extra gas - never needed it, but was nice to know it was there. If that's your range, I'd bring some along in case. Good call.

@Rollin' the E07+ has drastically less longevity than the E07. This is the only version I can get for my bike, and was the reason I did not choose them for my trip.
    Rollin' likes this.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I typically get around 45MPG at 65 MPH. It goes down rapidly at speeds over 70MPH. Strangely, even in a lower gear if I am doing 45MPH I can get around 60MPG. I haven't done enough time at elevations above 2K Ft to know about that behavior.

KR
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    So what about the differences between the E-07 the E-07+ and the E-07 Dakar? Anyone know which is the one I should be looking at?

I think that I will be using the E-07's for this trip so this is not academic for me. If they behave and last as well as I am hoping I may use them for the trips up the Dalton and Dempster and everywhere else.

KR
  6. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    "When it comes to a 50/50 adventure tyre, Mitas E-07 is one of the most desired choices among adventure riders, who love to combine comfortable road riding with more adventurous off-road getaways. The E-07+ was developed with a goal of successfully replacing the selected sizes of famous and very popular E-07. The aim was to keep the tyre performance in line with more and more powerful bikes and increasingly demanding riders. Our development team has preserved all the main benefits of the original E-07 and successfully improved the tyre towards the next level. Riders will still enjoy its original multi-functionality and its original durability. A slightly modified tread pattern of E-07+ delivers an improved off- and on-road riding performance. A bigger knobby design provides a plenty of open space between the tread blocks to displace sand, mud and water from the contact patch while keeping enough rubber in contact between the road and the rotating tyre."

The E07+ has replaced some of the E07 sizes so you may not have a choice.
    The Dakar version adds another sidewall ply.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got fairly good mileage on that stretch of the Dempster where it's 250 miles from fuel to fuel. I was riding mostly at about 50 MPH and just enjoying the place.

With a carburetor tuned for sea level, I had to switch to reserve while moving from one camping spot to another at Eagle Plains, so about 50 MPG.

The road conditions were generally good for me without a whole lot of freshly-graded road and not much muck to power through.
    CavReconSGT and Rollin' like this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I fueled up in Dawson City. Tried to top off at the card lock, but I couldn't figure it out, got aggravated and just decided to chance it. I can't recall, but I don't think my fuel light was even on when I got to Eagle Plains, but it was really close. I typically can squeeze 270 miles out of an average tank on my bike. The Dempster was a straight up race track until about Engineer Creek or so, and then not until the climb up Olgilvie where it turned into some mucky slop. It got a little better after that, but was still slow going.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the 2018 Alaska trip I referenced earlier, I ran with the Mitas E-07 Dakar in the front and the E-07 "Plus" Dakar on the rear. As stated earlier, the front tire had over 11,000 miles on it when I replaced it (long after the Alaska trip) and it still had a little bit left on it. The rear tire was replaced when I got back from the Alaska trip as it was probably 85% worn, but also pretty torn up from the trip. We did put a few miles in the dirt as we did the Dempster to the AC marker, the Denali, TOTWH, Kennecott, and the usual flurry of construction zones.
    CavReconSGT, Rollin' and Bigbob1 like this.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    You guys have all convinced me. I am going with the E-07's Dakar and I don't plan on switching them for the Dempster or Dalton.

Thanks,
    KR
    wilfred, rickj and Rollin' like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rider we talked a few years back told me that he carries extra fuel on his GS coming out of Deadhorse. Why? He once had Atigun pass closed due to snowstorm and didn't have enough to make it back.

@OP it's 250mi from last gas station to Eagle Planes and IIRC 253mi from Fairbanks to Coldfoot; but don't worry you will be getting great mpg.. IIRC it was 4/4.4 gal on each occasion and I was 2up on Dalton.
    knight, Migolito and CavReconSGT like this.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Received my Mitas E-07 Dakars today. Should have my bike sent in to Max BMW for full check of the bike and installation of the tires sometime soon. Tires look good. Looking forward to trying them out in spring.
    bobw, cyclopathic and AwDang like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just beware they like low pressure because carcass is very stiff. I would normally run 38/42 but with Dakars 32/32 f/r and then drop to 24-26 off pavement; though I think BMW tpms wouldn't like you run below 26.

The rear actually lasts longer with lower psi load spread over wider contact patch less centerline wear good luck.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I'm on an F700GS. Do you think the same pressures would apply?

KR
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran those on Weestrom solo or 2up loaded and people ran them on Super Tenere so yes I think it is a good starting point. For lighter bike I would run less
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  17. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an incredible trip! Lots of good thoughts shared and i will be following along. I replaced tires at AK Leather in Anchorage, no gouging at list and a friend of the store mounts and balanced for $35.00 with wheel r+r by rider. That is cheaper than many lower 48 shops. My friend needed a tire a front tire in Fairbanks and used Trails End BMW as they had what ne needed and could get him in, don't know what he paid, but said the included bike wash was nice, but very expensive. Bottom line is there are options and some work better than others, but on a multi month trip covering the variables as much as possible as you are doing will start you off in a great way and with the extra time you can easily wait a day or two for better weather or a tire, brake pad, chain, cable or what have you to be sourced and installed without stressing your timeline and trip will be ruined. Meds should be able to be adjusted for travel and/or hit a CVS in the lower 48 or AK.

Awesome that it's coming together for you this time :beer
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  18. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Louisiana and headed up June 1 or so
  19. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    keep an eye on the NWT roads web site. The ferrys may not be open yet if they have a late thaw.
    Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    One of the things I am thinking of doing is running a blog on blogger. I am considering just posting an update to here of the blog page. I don't know if anyone else has done anything like this or if it considered in bad taste. Looking for others and what they have done. In the past I have created my journal on here after the face because usually I didn't have any internet service to do a report. This trip I would expect that I will have more access to WiFi and while not all the time I think it would be frequent enough that it might work.

https://2020motorcycletrip.blogspot.com/

Thought, comments appreciated.

KR