Solo from CT to Tuk and Deadhorse in 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Nov 23, 2019.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've read RTW ride reports that slowly moved to a site other than advrider. There are certainly those who followed, but most forum users seem uninterested in going to another site for updates (I'm among them). Unless you already have a big readership, advrider will get many more views, if that's important to you.

If you're mainly interested in keeping family up to date, or just want to record for yourself, then another site might do just fine.

I've read many where the original post was on another site, bit it was reposted in full on advrider. I'd say that's the happy medium.

This may sound kind of soap-boxy, but ride reports have provided endless entertainment and invaluable information - writing your own here is just a small way to give back to the community.
    Sidehil and AwDang like this.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I agree with everything you have said. I am probably going to try to post here and also a blog. My friends and family can't read here and of course my friends here will probably not read the blog. My biggest challenge will probably be to minimize the amount of redundant work.

KR
  3. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Why can't friends and family read here? Advrider was the only place I posted my Alaska RR and I had lots of family, friends and coworkers following along.
  4. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    They could read but not respond without signing up. Many don't have the time or interest.

KR
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything said by AllSeasonRider and your goal is an important one. The range of folks that post here are everything from selling books and generating other profits via their reports to old Luddites like me that still use paper maps and don't carry cameras let alone drones, etc. Most are in the middle and share incredible adventures with amazing photos and stories, but in the end it is your trip and your family and friends come first in my mind. When I research I will follow a link to a blog or website if the story and/or subject matter peaks my interest. It's your trip and IMO it should not be a full time job figuring how to share it as even the best of the best reports will never do a trip justice and can only wet others appetites. Have fun, keep SWMBO and company feeling good and the rest is gravy.....
    AwDang likes this.
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Fully agree with this. All my previous rides I did write-ups and while they were shared, they were for me and done after the fact. This one I might be able to do while I am traveling so I am thinking more about how to share this closer to real time (day by day) with friends, co-workers, family and of course other inmates.

Thanks for input guys.

KR
  7. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I would try doing a facebook Motorcycle Travellers Group. You could use your own name, Friends could follow easier, you could advertise your blog on it. Messanger works great with it. I had a contact with a guy from Italy who didn't have a simm card and we were able to keep in contact, You can make phone calls on messanger. Let me know if you go that way
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will look into that. As far as phone calls I should be able to make calls anywhere I have a wifi connection on google fi. At least that is what they advertise. I will check into the facebook page though.

Thanks again,
    KR
  9. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen the many "likes" from you in my 2015 ride report to Alaska. That old ride report must be on Page 200 by now, but I'm glad to see people still reading it. I hope you found something useful that will prove useful on your trip. My reasons for writing it were twofold; I wanted to give back to the ADV community as I learned a lot by reading ride reports, and I also wanted to have a permanent record of the trip by adding the pictures and text into a Word document. It will be fun to read in 15 years!

If you keep some notes and have lots of pictures you'll be able to write a lengthier report after the fact as I did. However, I think many folds enjoy the real-time reporting as they can ride along with you. Whichever way you go, I'll be following along.

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Rick
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I have been enjoying your report immensely. The way a report should be written. It is bumming me out because I suck as a writer. I have been writing mostly for me so it is more a analytical step by step type of report that I do. I have been reading and picking up things in your report. You have a definite flare that most don't, certainly not me. I recommend everyone read that report. Very enjoyable.

KR
    rickj likes this.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Don't let your self-imposed view of your writing keep you from sharing. Hell, don't let anyone's view keep you from writing. If I've learned anything, it's that someone will read it here and like it. I've read some RR's that I really didn't care for, and yet there are others will say it's best RR they've read. Taste is a funny thing. Your analytical, step-by-step style will likely resonate with more than a few people.

[​IMG]
    CavReconSGT, Rollin' and AwDang like this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Go read about my trip to the beach for a good example of bad writing.
  13. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take a lot of pictures.

[​IMG]
    CavReconSGT, Bigbob1 and AwDang like this.
  14. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Pictures tell a story but sometimes there's more.
    I like this photo, its leaving Coldfoot, Alaska and heading north to Deadhorse. It tells part of the story but I had even forgotten there is more until I looked at the next photo I had taken 5 miles later. This photo doesn't show time of day and that is part of the story in the far north.
    This photo was taken at a little before 3:00 am and it shows what its like to ride north of the Arctic Circle in mid-June. Daylight is not a problem.

[​IMG]
  15. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    Damn fun ride, we followed Big Dog and Ding Weed in 2013, on WRs with stock bikes. Man to listen to all the poor souls complaining about wind buffeting......... on the new 790s.....sheesh..... My buddy mike did a write up 2 more wr250s make it to Deadhorse or something like that..... he did a great job. We thought we were badass till we got to the famous hotel with thee most awesome grub only only to meet two dudes from Foocking Brazil on Harleys.......they did have to wait for dry weather to leave:))))
    Bigbob1, bobw and CavReconSGT like this.
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is fun to see some of those baggers sitting happily in Deadhorse, while guys on "adventure" bikes turn around at the Arctic Circle or Coldfoot. This was back in 2010. These riders were from Columbia, IIRC -
    DSCN2694_50.jpg
    And a couple of years earlier, when this Wing was parked in Deadhorse -
    DSC01111.JPG
    Saw a Harley coming back south from Deadhorse two-up. The couple appeared to be having a very enjoyable ride. If a person uses some common sense, it's not a difficult ride at all.
    PA Dewayne, Sidehil, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rollin'

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Sidehil

Sidehil On any Sunday

Oddometer:
    That is awesome, not for but me:) down the Alcan on the way home for sure:)
    Rollin' likes this.
  19. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to Inuvik 2017 (E-07), tried getting to Tuk 2018 (E-07)(mud fest sent me home) and North Canol, Tuk, Deadhorse and much more in 2019 (E-07+) riding 26,000 miles on a Super Tenere. I always got 15,000+ miles from the E-07. Very disappointed with the low miles from the E-07+. Here are the links. I also cut my tires apart to show how much rubber was left and miles rode on each brand of tire.
    When you get to Watson Lake, you have two choices. Going north on #4 (Campbell) or west towards Whitehorse. If it's wet, go west to Whitehorse and then north. It's all tar. If dry, consider going north on #4. Also, there are so many smaller roads. If you have time, consider North/ South Canol, Clinton Creek, Eagle and Valdez.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-south-canol-dempser-dalton-and-many-more.1394651/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/tire-dealer-in-alaska-needed.1390377/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/tire...ross-section-of-each-on-super-tenere.1410304/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/mitas-e-07-review.1390786/
    cyclopathic and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

So I guess I should at least make mention of what is going on. I did buy the Mitas E-07 Dakar tires, front and back. I have been riding them for the little riding I have been doing this year and so far like them. I have not done really wet asphalt but have done highway, gravel and dirt roads and so far have few complaints. I like the tires, thanks for the recommendation.

It should be little surprise that I am not going this year. With the border closed I had little choice. I am hoping that I will be able to make this trip on May 1, 2021 now. I am hoping that a vaccine before May will allow me to travel those areas I want to travel through. We will see. I would not be shocked, though disappointed if I have to postpone until 2022.

KR
    foothillsrider and black 8 like this.