Solo Loop of Gaspé by That Idiot American

Discussion in 'Canada' started by adventurelounger, Jan 25, 2020.

1. adventurelounger

adventurelounger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy Canadian Friends,

Apologies in advance if you saw this posted on Epic Adventures. But I thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

A year ago, this American idiot made a run for Nova Scotia, and posted about it here.

Here's that ride report, which I called (in my rediscovery of our great northern neighbor) Oh. Canada.

But this July, I took an eight-day, 2,400 mile moto-camping adventure from domestic, suburban southwestern Connecticut to your wild and wooly Gaspé peninsula.

Besides being the longest solo trip I've taken yet, it was also an exercise in having this idiot confront some persistent fears, including a probably irrational thing about camping and, well, bears.

[​IMG]

I lapped the entire Gaspé from Percé to Forillon to Mont Albert, all on my 2013 Super Ténéré...

[​IMG]

Camping along the way.

[​IMG]

And I created a little "log" of my trip.

[​IMG]

(It's actually not so little, but it's not as dense as that woodpile, either.)

You can check out my Gaspé ride report here on my moto-blog: Alone, Stinking, and Trying to Be Unafraid.

Hope you enjoy the write and the ride. And apologies in advance for my observations about some of the less-lovely coastal Quebec architecture. We have our share of ungapatchka houses here in the States, too... But goddamn the country up there sure is beautiful!
    Amphib and shuswap1 like this.
  2. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. I enjoyed your blog and pictures. Forget your bear angst - any night in the woods is probably safer than sleeping in your own bed. The bears aren't armed :rofl.

This:
    "Wrestling these moments of self-doubt into a firm headlock, and then sitting them down until they behave; derailing that runaway train of disaster-thoughts so you can focus on the unfolding road before you, or the uneven ground beneath you; accepting the discomfort and uncertainty that comes when your electronic tether to the world is temporarily severed"

.......is being alive. Good for you.

Nick
  3. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Hey Nick, thanks for checking it out! You’re totally right about the relative safety of a night in the woods. But as you quoted, it isn’t really even about the reality—it’s about your head and how riding teaches you to deal with it! Glad you enjoyed. And love your beautiful country. It’s a rider’s paradise.
  4. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's always interesting reading other people's perspectives and observations and yours were eloquent. And just so you think you're not alone......after working and camping in the Northern Ontario forest for the last forty years, spending countless nights camping in truly isolated locations, I still have that nagging thought in the back of my mind. To quote from a chapter in one of my books (riding the 'North Road' in Quebec):

"It had been quite a long day. I had covered the 300 miles of
    paved road from La Tuque to Chibougamau, then the 125 of gravel
    along the North Road so I was plenty tired. When I'm camping in
    bear country, I lie alert in the tent, listening for every little sound.
    Could that mouse rustling in the pine needles actually be a bear,
    about to come crashing through the tent wall? Is that the soft
    padding of huge feet I hear, or the thumping of my own pulse?
    Then I wake up. The sun is already colouring the tips of the tallest
    trees, the song birds are starting to peep and whistle. No bears have
    come to visit."

Nick
    adventurelounger likes this.
  5. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the trip report. Thanks for sharing it.

Rob
    adventurelounger likes this.
  6. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. Would love to check out your book...where can I find it?
  7. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easiest through this link - thanks. N nickadamswriting.com
  8. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Hey Nick I’ve actually read a bunch of your Guzzi ride reports! You’re something of a Guzzi legend!

One of my other bikes is a 2016 Guzzi V7II Stornello scrambler (such a beaut). There are a couple of ride reports/posts on my Longitude & Gratitude blog featuring that bike. Though
    Nothing as impressive as the distances you’ve covered on a vintage El Dorado. Thanks again for taking the time to check my Gaspé report out. Looking forward to checking out more of your writing!
  9. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hah! A legend in my own mind, perhaps :jack. I'll check out the rest of your blog. Thanks.

edit: Very pretty Stornello and the airhead is lovely too. :clap
  10. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed both reports. Every trip starts with angst and ends with longing for it not to be over. Even if it's wonderful to sleep in your own bed.
    RJ44 likes this.
  11. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Absolute truth, MGV8. I'm in the early anticipation and planning phase for a summer 2020 trip...too early for angst but it'll come! Thanks for checking out the ride reports!
    MGV8 likes this.
  12. baekdongmul

baekdongmul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Western Canadian here: just want to clarify that the rest of the nation is as repulsed by donair pizza as any sane person should be. Nova Scotian cuisine was designed by and for drunk 22 year-olds
  13. adventurelounger

Oddometer:
    Thank you for affirming this. It's possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever eaten. It's a crime against pizza—and Cinnabons, and Gyros. All rolled in one.