1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo ride through Grand Teton National Park and up to Yellowstone National Park,..

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wackyd, Jan 19, 2008.

1. wackyd

wackyd Have a nice ride

Oddometer:
    Solo ride through Grand Teton National Park and up to Yellowstone National Park,.. <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I'm making plans for a June ride to Yellow Stone, What I need to know is...Should I really worry about Bears and other large animals when camping off the beaten path? After watching that film called the "Grizzly Man" the other night I'm a little freaked out about Bears............[​IMG]
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    You definitely need to follow the guidelines for camping in bear country. I'm personally not a big fan of cooking dinner in the same place I'm camping, even if it is the recommended 300' (last I checked) away from camp. I prefer a mile(s) or more. I'm not even a big fan of carrying food in grizzly country unless I must.

But I must say, there's nothing like the excitement of camping where you're part of the food chain. It definitely puts the "wild" in wilderness.
  3. okbob51

okbob51 okbob

Oddometer:
    Very, very unlikely! Don't worry about it. Lagging behind RV's will be your biggest problem.
  4. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    Be Smart and there will be no problems. If a bear comess wandering by, That's a lucky day. Mostly bears don't want to have any more to do with you than you want to do with them.
    Don't have food or any attractive smells in your camp area. Bears love smells and are naturally curious. Most of there brain is is wired for smelling things.
    Bears don't recognize humans as being a source of food. Therfore your danger of a bear encounter is low. But food, dead anmials and of course cubs, are the reason why bear encounters become dangerous. Follow the simple rules and there should'nt be a problem.
    If you do see a bear, have respect for it and view your sighting as a blessing.
  5. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Frozen Rider

Oddometer:
    When we camped in Yellowstone last June, there were steel lockboxes at the campsite to keep food.We don't bring any food in the tents so there is no attraction for bears.
    At Grand Teton, we didn't have the lockbox, I think we may have had to request a site with one, most of the people were driving cars or campers.
    We kept our food in the jeep my brother was driving, it only had a soft top but it was a rental so .........

If I were to return, I would worry even less than I did last time.
  6. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    At the south end of Yellowstone, go to Flagg Ranch and ask for directions to Grassy Lake Road. The start of Grassy Lake is only a few hundered feet from the parking lot, But the road it's self is a little over 30 miles and will take you to the farm land of eastern Idaho. Many places to wander around, camp, hike, fish. It's all dirt road, Varying condition and varying width. Mostly no traffic and it will take you through some beautiful areas.
  7. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, buffalo cause more human injury/deaths in Yellowstone then bears.
  8. mtnbiker1096

mtnbiker1096 Wishing I was there

Oddometer:
    Last year we had more encounters with bears than we have had in a long time. Follow the good suggestions like keeping your camping and cooking areas seperate. Dont keep anything that smells "interesting" in your tent.
    A friend of mine did a 2 week backpacking trip near yellowstone a while bakc. He described using fishing line that he ran about a foot off the ground all the way around his tent and attached it to a large bell. The thought was if a bear wandered to close it would at least wake him up and he could try to do something. Ive never tried it but it almost sounds viable. Maybe ill have to try it on my bedroom door for the family. :evil

We have also had more snow this season so you may want to keep an eye on the snow pack. It may make you alter your route and plans.

All told though, your in for a great ride with lots to see and do. Youll love it!
  9. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
  10. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Susan and I have had Buffalo experiences everytime we are in Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

The last time we were about 15 minutes from the GT NP Visitors Centre and this Buffalo just comes running across a field (15-20 mph) runs directly across the 2 lane highway in front of us and just keeps running across the next field.

I later described it as ;

Imagine a 15 year old boy driving a late 70's one ton Chevy van covered in dark brown shag carpeting. He is driving for the first time and just as the van starts to move someone hands him his first Penthouse magazine and places it centre fold open on the steering wheel.

This gives you an accurate idea of size, mental capacity, and attention to the outside world of a Buffalo

Susan's first solo ride thought Yellowstone. She was in traffic and a buffalo ran up out of the ditch and trotted beside her (she was on an 1150R). After about 5 seconds of looking up at this large wall of trotting fur her brain dropped back into gear, she pulled out and did a very nice double line pass to get away from the lane sharing buffalo.

BTW ride Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph and eat at the blue beef house in Cody
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    turn into flagg ranch just before south entrance and go right at split. follow road for about a mile and there is free camping along the river.
  12. torinokuchi

torinokuchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you camp at the public campgrounds in the Tetons or yellowstone there are "bear boxes" for food and whatnot. We camped at the yellowstone lake campground for a night and at the Jenny lake campground in the tetons for two days. Both had the steel bear boxes. For day trips we just put the locked jesse bags in the bear box and ran with a tank bag.

lots of two track and dirt around both spots for cool day rides. didn't see any bears but were able to see moose, elk and buffallo close up.

Great trip with lots of great scenery, enjoy.
  13. Oldwin1

Oldwin1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading through all these posts I thought I would consolidate this all down for you. If you take anything that smells like food in your tent you may get a "Darwin Award". Deodorant, tooth paste, gum, perfume, scented soap. If you try to scare away a grizzly it may run away or it may decide you are threatening it and eat you. If you don't hang your food a bear may not get it but the chipmunks probably will. Grizzly bears are not pray for anything. They do not have much reason to be afraid.

I have some pictures someplace of a guy who ate fried chicken before he went to bed and did not get his face washed off good. Wasn't that guy in Grizzly man the idiot who was living with Grizzly on Kodiak island. Smacked one of the bears on the nose. :huh Darwin Award.
  14. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in Alaska alot and carry Bear Spray and would be a good last resort to being dinner for MR. Grizz. Always respect bears and MOST of the time they will walk away. You must also consider sometimes they do not. A bear is a wild animal. Or pack heat... Your choice.
  15. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    +1 Flagg Ranch was a good spot to fuel and get information.:thumb

From our trip last summer we saw 0 bears, hundreds of Buffalo and lots of elk. But I worried more about the prong horn that were dead all along the roads in souther Wy. Seemed like there was a dead carcas every 50 ft! In the park the buffalo and elk seem to wander in the road a lot so watch blind corners and the area around Mamoth. We had a great trip and I recommend it to anyone.:ricky

Attached Files: