Solo Ride to Cabo San Lucas from Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stiernan, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Same here. Stayed there last week in fact.
    stiernan likes this.
  2. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried! They were full. They steered me to Bahia Villa. Still beats a tent!
    advrockrider likes this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    For future consideration - Raquel y Larry's. Host's name is Ruth and she's absolutely wonderful. We stayed there on the way south and then stopped there for lunch on the way north. Would recommend it and her place in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]
    stiernan likes this.
  4. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From San Ignacio I headed to Santa Rosalia. After miles and miles through the desert, to come down the road and boom, there is the Sea of Cortez. The only excitement was going through a dip and just about nailing a momma burro and her baby. I hit the back brake and slid, the over-corrected to straighten it out. That just about ended the trip. One think that is cool in Baja is how courteous the semi-truck drivers are. They hit their turn signals giving you the okay to pass. Both sides of the road are basically a cemetary marked with memorials, a reminder to stay alert.

In chose to stay overnight in Santa Rosalia. The motel I picked is just across from the war memorial overlooking the marina. You have to get a double room if you want to be able to look out directly on to your machine. 600 pesos for the night. Room wasn't awful and it had hot water. It did fill up after I checked in.

Hotel at Santa Rosalia.JPG

Dinner was a trio of carne asada tacos at an outdoor restaurant right next to the hotel. They tasted as good as they look in the picture.

Santa Rosalia dinner.JPG

The hotel did get busy after I checked in, with a lot of folks using the parking lot as a uturn point. Still, the bike was off the road and felt pretty secure. I brought a 6ft cable lock, a slimmer cable, and a bike cover. It was overkill, but I also had a disc brake lock as well.

Santa Rosalia.JPG
    liv2day and dano619 like this.
  5. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From Santa Rosalia I rode to LaPaz. This was the only reservation i made on the entire trip. i figured at this point I would need a couple of days off the bike. Trying to stay a little bit on the cheap side, I picked the Club El Moro hotel. It was a nice place for $60 a night. AC, nice bathrooms, and a ceiling fan. The guy at the front desk was super cool and let me park the park the bike within the hotel grounds. I don't know that they could handle a group of more than five or six bikes.

Club El Moro parking .JPG

LaPaz was the only town on the trip that seemed to take Covid pretty seriously. Outdoor mask ordinance was enforced by the cops. If you weren't wearing your mask they would stop you and make you put one on. I did a diving excursion while I was here and swam with the whale sharks. The cost was about $70 and worth every cent. LaPaz is also quickly becoming a cruise ship storage destination. They light them up at night and create a pretty cool view.

LaPaz Boat Sunset.JPG

LaPaz Beachfront.JPG

LaPaz Main Sign.JPG

I did run into some locals on a large group ride. Lots of BMW's and a couple of KTM's.

LaPaz Locals.JPG

Attached Files:

Saso, liv2day, dano619 and 1 other person like this.
  6. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From LaPaz I rode to Cabo San Lucas. I did some exploration rides off the highway. Just amazing. This was my first time to Cabo. I had planned on staying two days here but really didn't know what hotel would be good. It was extremely busy. I made it down to the beach and had lunch, put my boots in the sand, and got back on the bike. I decided three hours in Cabo was enough and I started back up the highway towards LaPaz. I stayed one more night there and then rode up to Loreto. I stayed at the El Rosario hotel and would highly recommend it. Very nice rooms. When I pulled up I went to the front desk and asked if there was a place I could park my bike. The clerk said I could pull the bike directly into the lobby and that he would be there all night to watch it. Very cool. The next day, I rode towards San Felipe with a stop at Coco's Corner. Does not seem to be as easy to get to as it once was.

Lunch in Cabo.JPG

Boots in the sand.JPG

Attached Files:

pcarreiro, Burro driver, Saso and 2 others like this.
  7. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just some random shots on my way back to the border. Before I left for this trip I reached out to gear companies asking for stickers to hand out. They were more than happy to oblige. I gave them out to kids at every gas stop and store break. They were really appreciated. The rest of the trip was uneventful with the exception of the wind. I was like a kite in a hurricane at times. Crossing at Mexicali was busy. I used the Sentri line which was empty but I still unded up going into secondary inspection. This consisted of them looking though my tank back and put a flashlight in my gas tank. That was it. I headed for Vegas and then home.

Cocos Corner.JPG

Streets of El Triunfo.jpg Oceanside.png
    IMG_8173~photo.JPG

Lobby parking at the El Rosario.jpg

Loreto El Rosario.JPG

Mexico 5.jpg

Attached Files:

8. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One last note. I bought Motoz Tractionator Rallz, front and back.

This is the pre-trip photo. I only put 25 miles on the tires before I actually left.
    IMG_8223~photo-full.jpg

This is the front tire after 4,000 miles.
    IMG_8224~photo-full.jpg

I talked to Motoz (Pacific Powersports) and their customer service is fantastic. They said the wear pattern is normal and expected for as much road I took on this trip. The rear tire is fantastic and will be able to do at least a few more trips.

This is the rear.

IMG_8222~photo.JPG
    KL__07, pcarreiro, 1jonjon and 10 others like this.
  9. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along!!
    hitmike and stiernan like this.
  10. KL__07

KL__07 ride your own way

Oddometer:
    Thx für the report, what s the story of your license plate?
  11. Macdogg

Macdogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. :)
  12. Brian_LA

Brian_LA n00b

Oddometer:
    When did you do this ride? I was doing a jeep trip in Baja in January and met a rider on a KTM similar to yours in Bahia de los Angeles while eating a late lunch one afternoon. He was coming up from Cabo.