Solo Ride to Cabo San Lucas from Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stiernan, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Scooteristi

Scooteristi n00b

Oddometer:
    Was the 1 even paved then?
  2. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Cool trip!

Just curious, but how fluent is your Spanish? I've never done a trip in to Mexico but I assume at least some understanding of Spanish is necessary.
  3. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Helpful,but not necessary.
  4. SouthAmerAddict

SouthAmerAddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You didn’t mention getting your FMMs entering at Tecate. Yes, they’ll wave you thru, but I believe these are required documents. The more documentation you have the better if anything we’re to go south.
    A lot of people confuse the fact that the TIP isn’t required for Baja or Baja South or Sonora with your FMMs.
    The process for both can be started online if you wish to save some time in the office.
  5. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    The northern part of Sonora doesn't require TIP, but one is required south of Empalme (just south of Guaymas). Apparently, there's a Banjercito in Empalme to acquire one, but it's not obvious to me as I've never seen it travelling through there. You can get a Sonora only TIP or one for all of Mexico... I was stopped just south of Empalme once and asked to produce my TIP.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a roadside customs terminal east of Empalme , SON, on west side of Mex 15 a bit south of the highway split for the 15D toll bypass north around GUAYMAS and the older 15 Libre west to GUAYMAS and San Carlos
    ( look it up on Googlemap> satellite view photo and zoom in )
    You should always of course get the FMM at the port of entry into Mexico from USA as a first day duty. ALWAYS and Regardless of which part of Mexico you start with.
    It is your responsibility , they do not baby- sit people who are un-willing or unable to grasp that fact.
    With the FMM in hand the TVIP can be purchased at this terminal . At same time of course you must put down the required TVIP Security Deposit (or bond )

There is also such an inland custom service terminal on Mex 2D bypass around north side of the small town of PITIQUITO , Sonora. which is east of CABORCA.
    Here also , with your FMM from the border in hand you can get the TVIP .
    If you do not have the FMM you are SOL and will need to retreat to the border to get it .
    You can NOT hand in and cancel a TVIP / get refund of Security Deposit at these inland customs
    terminals . Such cancellation/ refund can only be done at certain designated terminals close to the border ( km 21 on Mex 15) and at the actual border offices when you are leaving Mexico with the bike/ car.

These remarks are now probably of little interest to the op- Stiernan who is likely back home for weeks by now.But they are useful for noobs planning to ride south.
    The “SOLO SONORA ZONE “ permit covers all of Sonora to the West of Mex 15 as far south as the described terminal south of Empalme AND the area NORTH of Mex2 along the US border east to the state line with Chihuahua .
  7. cmcb

cmcb Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Any chance you meant "east" instead of "west"? That's what it looks like on Googlemaps.
  8. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Your correct. Opps