1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo Rider's Southeast Travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by SoloRider73, Jun 1, 2021.

1. SoloRider73

SoloRider73 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to post most of my day trips for my personal remembrance and entertainment for anyone who cares to read.

My current motorcycles are a 2019 Moto Guzzi V7 III and a 2020 Moto Guzzi V85TT.

On Sunday 5/30/2021, I decided to take a long day ride on my V7. My ride had two purposes. First was to swing by Two Wheel of Suches campground and check it out. I've never camped at TWOS before and plan to camp there in a few weeks for the Italian bike weekend. The second purpose was to test out the V7 on a much longer ride. My longest rides on the V7 have been around 250 mile trips. I wanted to see how comfortable it would be on a long ride that included some long freeway portions.

I decided to wear my summer jacket with it's internal rain liner thinking it would block the wind. I almost turned back to switch jackets as it was way too cold. I decided to tough it out thinking it would warm up quickly. Nope 6 hours later it finally warmed up enough.

[​IMG]

I left Huntsville AL heading for Little River Canyon near Fort Payne AL. I didn't bother taking a new picture of the mushroom rock since I already have so many. So here is an older one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of nice scenery around the Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doublehead Gap Road heading to Suches was really busy over the holiday weekend. When I pulled off the road, two cars stopped to ask me directions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was 3PM before I rolled into TWOS. TWOS had already closed for the day, but there were still a number of bikers sitting on the porch chatting.

[​IMG]

A couple rode in on their Honda Groms. I'm sure Groms are fun to ride on the roads around TWOS.

[​IMG]

I spent time chatting with some guys who admired my V7s perky jugs. They were very surprised when I told them how much I paid for my bike new. Everyone always thinks Moto Guzzi's are expensive given they are Italian, but the V7s can be had pretty reasonable if you don't mind buying a left over unit.

I rode through the Ocoee area heading to Cleveland Tennessee where I got on I-75. I didn't stop except for gas on the way back to Huntsville so I didn't get any additional pictures.

Overall the V7 did a great job. I really need to have the seat cushion upgraded as it gets rough after a few hours. On the freeway, the V7 did well. Running 75 - 80 mph didn't seem to stress the 750cc engine so I think it would be fine touring. My bike doesn't have any wind protection so running 80 mph does get tiring.

I ended up with 496 miles in 12.5 hours for the day.
    klaviator, chethro and Callisto224 like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two Wheels of Suches, (and Two Wheels Only before that) has been one of my favorite places to ride since I first rode there from Florida in 1990. Let me know if you want suggestions for a good route to get there or good rides in the area.

Good idea starting a thread to document your rides:thumb I'll be following along.
    SoloRider73 likes this.
  3. SoloRider73

Oddometer:
    It’s been around 10 years since I had ridden a motorcycle in the area. I’ve never camped at TWOS but the place looks pretty nice. I’m always open to good roads to ride. One of my friends wife has a knack for finding good roads. Her method was look for the squiggly lines on the map. Worked well.
  4. SoloRider73

Oddometer:
    I didn't get a chance to ride this weekend since I was busy Saturday and it rained most of the day Sunday.

My wife came in from the garage on Saturday and asked why I would risk riding my V7 with tires so bad. See pics below. I had checked the tires before my last trip so I guess it wore down over the 500 mile loop.
    My only motorcycle activity over the weekend was buying new tires. All the cool kids on the V7 thread say the Conti Road Attack 3 are great tires. I went ahead and splurged, I'll give a review once they are installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chethro and klaviator like this.
  5. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could tell a positive difference with the RA3's. I think you will like them. I thought the front looked smaller than the same sized Sport demon, but they rode great.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. SoloRider73

Oddometer:
    If they are half as good as everyone says, I’ll be happy. What kind of mileage did you get out of your bike? I ended up with 5200 on my back tire which apparently is great for the demons. I also tend to ride mine until the belts are about or are showing.
  7. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wore my rear Sport Demon out at 4000 miles, but mine wasn't down to the threads. :rofl I went to a rear Michelin Pilot Active until the front Demon wore out at 5000 miles and switched both to RA3's which I put another 2200 miles on before trading it in. There was no noticeable wear on either tire at that point.

I liked the RA3's better in the wet and they stuck every bit as good in the dry as the Demons (which worked fine for me). Where they were better was in the ride. Like any bias vs radial tire the radial is just better. It was my first radial tire on a bike and I was skeptical, but they were really better. :D
    klaviator and SoloRider73 like this.