Solo Riding in Mexico...Safe???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Merf88, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny video clip. Much better than that stupid Arlo Guthrie pickle/motorcycle song.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Read Dr. Benny's blog, especially the link to this other story about the "extortion" by Mexican police and learn what not do while traveling in other countries (including Mexico).

Gustavo
  3. Enprize

Enprize Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a great time down there. I left Seattle solo on 12 Nov 09 and returned back home on 6 Dec. No problems at all. Stay out of the titty bars south of texas and you'll do just fine.

Learn some spanish. My fourteen words didn't work too well when my final drive failed on the road from Creel to Batopilas. Drink the tap water, eat the local food, and have fun!

I know a great mechanic in Hermosillo if you need one.

james.
  4. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Post the mechanic's name and number James. I'll be down that way in April and ya never know when you'll need one.
  5. Merf88

Merf88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great travel blog, Dr. Benny.
  6. wesleycsmith

wesleycsmith n00b

Oddometer:
    I did Copper Canyon in March of 2009 Solo. I went Loredo, Monterrey, Torreon, Durango, Mazatlan, El Fuerte, through Copper Canyon to Creel, Chihuahua and then Big Bend. No problems. Water was low during that year for the river crossing otherwise you will have to find a 4X4 to get across. I didn't use GPS and asked locals with my limited spanish for directions. It can be done and was a hell of a trip. This summer did Prudhoe Bay Alaska solo and now headed to Tierra del Fuego Argentina. It can be done but the hardest step is the first.

Good luck and have fun.
  7. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:D
  8. JUDOKA

JUDOKA retired

Oddometer:
    The last time I went to Mexico (This Month) I went with Rob1313 and we had a blast! There was moment when we were way out in the middle of the desert and a truck slowed down as we were resting on the side of the highway. We were prepared to jump on the bikes and make a run for it...because afterall, they actually wanted to help us out if we were stranded, and we just could not allow someone to steal our adventure by getting us running again!:rofl Honestly, you will have more issues trying to explain why you cannot eat any more of the delicious food you are offered, or why you just cant stay forever! One more thought: If you are a good person, good things come. Just Ride!
  9. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So true,,every time I stopped on the side of the road for a smoke,,and I mean EVERY time,some mexican would either stop or slow dow and ask/signal if I needed help.The trucks/cars ahead would most times pull to the side and signal you through (Guatemala was the opposite !!!).
    Never been to a friendlier country,except for the big cities,,,there I woud be a bit wary.
    Just my 2 cents worth!!
    Regards
    irishdec
  10. Merf88

Merf88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You all have been more than a little helpful. I'll be making an extended Mexico trip in March. Keep the suggestions coming.

By the way, take a look at my new website below. It includes my published articles and many photos.
  11. ChangoGS

ChangoGS Banned

Oddometer:
    I've rode solo in Mexico too . Lots of nice places and friendly faces.
  12. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Here's the weigh-in from the female perspective: GO!

I traveled for almost a month in Mexico solita and enjoyed it tremendously. So tremendously, in fact, that I found an apartment and a whole new life in San Cristobal...I will go back there next winter to live.

The people were ALL super friendly, and I have about 8 different people who insist that the next time I travel through Mexico, I have to come and stay with them.

The hardest part is truly just leaving your garage...
  13. Merf88

Merf88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty dang inspirational and motivational, MotoAdventureGal! Thanks for the post.
  14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    I've made several trips, mostly solo, into Mexico over the last decade. I've recently moved to a border town in order to ride more.

Bottom line: 99% of the horror stories that you hear are vastly overrated.

Read these forums. Plan and prepare yourself. But Mexico is a great place to ride.

The area that you are talking about riding in has a toll road almost all the way to Mazatlan. It's somewhat boring, but about as safe as a house.

Do it.
  15. Merf88

Merf88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK...I have an additional question about the roads on the Baja. Can anyone tell me if Mexican Highway 5 is now paved all the way until it meets up with Mex Hwy 1? It's really hard to find reliable, current Mexican road maps. My GPS seems to think that it is paved all the way down to the 1. If you've been on the Baja lately, please let me know.
  16. RoamingTom

RoamingTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :freaky I'm here in Barra Navidad, Mexico as I write this. I've been in Mexico for a couple weeks( I'm having such fun I've lost count of the days), it couldn't be better. Twice my bike has been parked in hotel lobbies, both times it was offered, I didn't ask. The first night I paid 130 pesos for my room, the second,150. 150 pesos = $11.81 US!!!!Everyone has been super helpful, I feel safer here than I would in Phoenix. It truly is beyond belief at times. I could bore you with countless examples of kindness far greater than I've ever encountered in th US. In a few days I'm headed north in the company of three other riders, not for security, I made friends on the side of the road, we're having a real hoot! My friends don't speak spanish and they made it without a hitch. Bring a dictionary and a good attitude, you'll have a blast. I'll be back next winter for a longer visit.:freaky
  17. TemeculaRider

TemeculaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As mentioned in the other thread, it was paved to about 18 miles south of Puertecitos when I was there in November. They had a huge crew working and making steady progress so maybe it's extended a few miles past now? I'd be shocked if they go past Gonzaga Bay, but who knows? It would sure change the ride, and probably not for the better!
  18. TemeculaRider

Oddometer:
    Virtually everyone who goes down there says about the same thing but it's such a shame that no matter how great we say it is, it only takes a front-page write-up by the LA Times to make everyone think that Americans are being targeted by violent drug cartels.
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

A-men.

We have several border crossings here, and tons of people that cross every day. I'll be taking The Bosswoman to dinner in Reynosa in a few hours. We do this all the time and I must cross 2-3 times a week lately.

Yet the Know It Alls that have never crossed the border make it sound like you are risking life and limb every time you go into Mexico. :lol3

There are some nuances and some places to be cautious of, and the riding conditions are sporty. It is, after all, another country.

But sheesh. Some folks really need to cut the pink lace off of their panties. :deal
  20. TemeculaRider

Oddometer:
    Do you remember the thread when some guy in Boston copied-and-pasted some alert that an ex-Colonel in the Pentagon now working as a consultant in D.C. wrote, whereby he said that all travel in Mexico was prone to real and present danger? That kind of irresponsible nonsense really burns me up!