Solo Riding in Mexico...Safe???

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Merf88, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have the clap from Joe's woman, steer clear of Casa Tricepilot :augie
  2. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still can't get over the fact she likes me better huh?
    :bubba
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    H2N2
  4. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just regular flu. BTW I read in the paper today that swine flu has pretty much petered out. Like most of us said when this started last year, it indeed proved to be much hype and no more deadly than other flus. More Mexico bashing in terms of "safety." However, I do think it was responsible the way they did the shut-down over there. Would we ever do such here in the US? Doubt it.
  5. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in one of those Rosarito-Ensenada 50 mile bike ride events two years ago. In the same area where you were staying. The only difference was that
    that weekend should have been thousands of tourist attending the event. But obviously My friend and I didnt get the memo and we were the only two gringos in Rosarito while the rest of the attendees were in Ensenada.

I was trying to keep a low key but my friend decided to act as a tourist would. To make the story short, Since he was drunk and I had to look after him and keep a guard for myself. As I was walking towards the Hotel area. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw a guy looking thru the window of a tattoo parlor. I made a line directly to the tattoo parlor and I stopped in the outside while I was checking out a lowrider car parked outside.
    The guy came out, speaking perfect English, whats up homes! he said!
    Not much checking out your car I replied..... I made a short conversation with him, Anyhow Take care..... nice car! I said...... He replied: Have a good time homes!

As I got to one of the multi level Bars in the area, something didn't felt right so I proceeded to order a beer, I sat in the edge of the sand pit and looked around. Needless to say the guy followed us, I told my friend not to move and to wait I was going to the bathroom..
    The guy unaware that I knew he was there, followed me to the bathroom. I was waiting as he entered and as he started to figure out which stall I was in... I striked!
    I tackled him against the stalls that he was in front of...
    Looking for me homes! I said... In the end I Took a switchblade from him and his wallet. To my surprise He was an American doing business in Mexico. (what ever business it was)

Crime does not always comes from the people you expect.
    My friend was totally unaware of the situation until I got back to drink my beer, switchblade in hand and I even paid for the beer with "homes" money.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I suspect that he was calling you Holmes, but that's beside the point. :wink:

I had a similar experience in a bar in Jacksonville, FL about 5 years ago. There are tough bars everywhere. I've been in bars that were so surprised to see a gringo in them that the patrons bought my beer.
  7. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The six they just nuked Mazatlan's Gold Zone ain't gonna help the safety concerns. That's tourism central isn't it?
    Mazatlan (Old Town) is one of our stops in April (17/18):yikes
  8. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I generally stay out of bars in touristy areas with the exception of hotel bars. Nevertheless, when I am in non-touristy areas I have popped in to an occasional cantina, but generally this is rare.

True, won't help with the safety concerns. Vigilance is the key here. I did see some good advice for riders posted on one of the Mexican motorcycle boards. Kiko posts over there.
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

The Golden Zone. Zona Dorada.

I'm on a mailing list of expats in Mazatlan, mostly retirees (MazInfo@YahooGroups.com). In today's mailing list digest there are two posts about the shooting, 2 more posts comparing the violence to something that happened in Fresno recently, 5 posts from someone looking for an apartment, 2 posts about getting an oil change in a Honda Odyssey, one post about traveling to a town called Teacapán, one post about a humidifier, and another post about electric scooter accessibility.

Moral of the story: for savvy people this was an unfortunate episode, but nothing to dwell on.

Mazatlan is a really nice town, certainly one of those places that I'd consider settling into if I had a retirement income.
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

If I'm traveling by myself I'm a bit more adventurous. I've hit some pretty "rustic" places and generally been treated very, very well.

Personally, I like a lot of the tourist bars but if I wanted to hang with gringos and drink Budweiser I would have stayed in the States. And the touristy places are often pretty pricey. So usually I will go where the locals drink, unless it comes down to the dreaded no TV/no A/C situations.

If She Who Must Be Obey'd is with me then the goal is to hit a "lady's bar" somewhere, and we have generally found that the hotel bars work well for her.
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    And how is :thwakGoddess Athena :pierce these days?
  12. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Doing pretty good. Looking forward to some time in Monterrey and on the K1200LT. :wink:
  13. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about such a late reply but heres what happened last week:

So me and another inmate our riding down to zaragoza. Before we hit China we come up on two chevys with soldiers in the back. We popped out from behind a large truck and i got stuck behind the back one and my buddy got out in front of the other. While waiting for the other traffic to clear so i could pass the soldiers got a bit tense. No exchanges were made but you could tell they were getting a bit nervous. Once traffic cleared up i took off and kept going. We got to China and got lost, once we got out on the highway we passed our same friends again and this time they pulled over to let us pass them easier. We flew by them doing about 80-85mph and i actually waved that time. I got a couple responses but not much else. Turns out they were on their way to montemorelos where there was a shootout the following day.

I wasnt concerned at any point. Ive never had any issues with the military other than being annoying at times. Heck sometimes i pretend i cant speak spanish so we can play charades! Thats when the fun starts haha
  14. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Now thats some funny chit right there. :rofl

I know the hotel and I can just picture it!
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those guys were probably okay.

Once in Guatemala I rode (car convoy) with the campaign party of Kjell Laugerud Garcia to Esquipulas from Guate City. Everybody was carrying guns. We went to a picnic at a ranch, then into Esquipulas itself where he made a couple of speeches, then to the mayor's house where we ate some more. All male adults were carrying, some in the open. That's common in Latin America for political campaigns. Only exception is Costa Rica where the guns are concealed.
  16. RoadHD

RoadHD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on taking a trip down the PanAm in late-Spring. I'm not concerned about direct violence in Mexico, but I'm planning on doing the ride on a late-model Harley cruiser. A question for recent travelers through Mexico, are there loads of Harley's out on the Mexican roads or am I inviting trouble riding through on something so conspicuous?

Thanks for any foreknowledge.
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are Harleys down there, but it is not a common site. Just ride and you will be okay. Trailblazer has been down there with Harleys. Even goes on dirt trails with them. He's muy loco which is why we call him Trailblazer.
  18. RoadHD

RoadHD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pedro,
    I appreciate the advice.
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

Watch the topes. :deal
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer: