Solo riding in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by WisconsinCody, Jul 25, 2019.

1. WisconsinCody

WisconsinCody n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all new member and rider here!

So I picked up a bandit 600 at the end of last year and have since put on just over 1100 miles. I've now got the itch to take a weekend off and go camping somewhere in WI. I would be starting just south of Madison and am looking for good roads to ride that arent super close to here with good scenery, and places with good food. Just looking for some input from you guys and anything would be appreciated!

This trip probably wouldnt be till the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August if theres any events going on around that time.
  2. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Daleah has a pretty good compilation of roads in the greater Mississippi River and driftless area. Search Google for "driftless road adventures." I think he has food marked on some of the maps but he would be a good resource in that area. Central Adventure Rider's Rally occurs in Boulder Junction at around the time you're thinking
    9Realms and rizzo27 like this.
  3. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DSquared. Yeah WisconsinCody, we have routes available for you to try. GPS file downloads are free, we also sell paper copies of all of our maps.

We also have an event calendar on our website that lists all of the events I find out about in the Driftless Area. If you follow us on FB or our website you will get weekly updates on events. Another source for events is Cyclefish.com. Also, a lot of dealers have events calendars. i can't keep up with all of them and I don't include poker runs, so there are probably things I miss, or things outside of the Driftless area that I don't include.

There are a couple of events coming up you might want to look into. 1 is a motocamping trip to Wyalusing during the first weekend in August. the other is the TWiStar event in LaCross the weekend of August 9th. We will be in LaCross for sure and we might make an appearance in Wyalusing, but I think we are riding up near Wildcat state park that weekend.

We have 3 great routes laid out for you already close to Madison. Each one is about a days worth of riding. If you go to our website, we have a graphical representation of the riding area shown for each route.

As for food, we don't have any places highlighted on our routes for a number of reasons. Mainly because I don't want to highlight some place that I haven't eaten at or can vouch for.

I can give you some ideas of places to eat once you decide where you will be riding. So when you get closer to your ride hit me up here, or in a pm. or through our website.

Happy Riding!!

Dale
    MHaz01, 9Realms and rizzo27 like this.
  4. WisconsinCody

WisconsinCody n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you both! That helped a lot, you have so many different routes made up.

Squared have you ever been to the central adventure riders rally? If so any tips?
  5. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Central Rally would be a good first start friendly bunch who like to have fun. The roads in the area are twisty with lakes around every other corner. If you head west the simple formula is: Wildcat Mtn, Mindoro Cut, A/B/C roads and any with Valley, Coulee or Hollow in the name.

Baldy [the site owner] showed up last year at the rally and did a little write up on the event.

https://advrider.com/the-central-advrider-rally-11/

He focused on the off road stuff but there are plenty of street folks that come as well.
  6. WisconsinCody

WisconsinCody n00b

Oddometer:
    A question for you Daleah since I'm not very familiar with GPS. Would any GPS work or is there a special kind I should get?
  7. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe most any gps will work. I would go to the trip planning forum thread, there is a lot of information there about the different types of units and their pros/cons. You might be able to pick up a used one in good condition for a good price. One thing I would suggest is making sure that it has a spot for additional memory through an SD card. My dad has a very old gps and loading routes onto it is nearly impossible.

A lot of people have started using their cell phones to navigate and you can do that with our routes as well. You will need to use a 3rd party App to get turn by turn. Depending on if you are using Ios or Android, there are different programs that seem to work the best.
    9Realms likes this.
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Have you checked out some of the Wisc. Rustic Roads?

Or found your way up through the Hayward area to the Delta Diner?

:-)
    MHaz01 likes this.
  9. WisconsinCody

WisconsinCody n00b

Oddometer:
    I've only ridden 2 of the rustic roads down by me I havent seen anymore.

I have heard a lot about Hayward but never been there! What's the delta diner?
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    OMG. The Delta Diner..... where does one start?

Neat location, amazing & unique food, attentive staff.

1200-delta_dineR.jpg

delta-hayward map.jpg

If your coming up from Madison, proceed up through the green national forest areas, it's the best!

This place is in the middle of the woods-- there is nothing else there. It's like an old rail car turned into a café. Popular on Saturdays with the adventure motorcycle types.

14385 Co Hwy H, Mason, WI 54856

http://www.deltadiner.com/

Continue on NW of there up to Iron River, WISC. for fuel or area lodging, about 11 more miles of roads-through-the-forests. You can also get fuel in Drummond, WISC. to the south, but no place in between!

aaa-block of gray 40 cm.jpg
    hawkgt and scrapper like this.
  11. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    +1 on Delta Diner. Also, the Ashland County area is full of good riding roads.
  12. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can get by with a basic Garmin Etrex model if you don't mind just following the line without turn by turn instruction. I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64s which is capable of turn by turn instruction. I have also recently put Locus Pro on my phone which seems to be capable but I haven't actually used it to navigate.
  13. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    You could ride west toward Belmont and attend the Moto Guzzi rally at Lake Joy campground this weekend (Aug. 2 - 4). Moto Guzzi not required. Food, beer, raffles, camping, swimming, poker run. You can hook up with groups going out for rides on Saturday.
    Paper likes this.
  14. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    @Daleah, is there a preferred route from Pine Bluff to Leland for the Slimy Crud Run?
  15. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    MHaz01, I don't think so. since its a pretty loosely organized event, there are no set times for anything. So what I have done in the past is look at the 2 points on the map and then look for some cool roads to take between the 2. you can spend as much or as little time as you want.

one year i went up and crossed the Merrimac Ferry before I went to Leland, so it all depends on what you want to do or see.

We have a couple routes in that area, so you can look at those and pick some good roads between Pine Bluff and Leland.

good luck and have fun!!
    MHaz01 likes this.
  16. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just saw this and should have also recommended it.. There was around 200 at the rally, and 20ish ADV'rs.. Anyway, kick around one of the rallys for a good experience of camping on motorcycle.. The Wisconsin Dells BMW Rally will be the weekend after Labor Day.. The good thing about these rallies is that all you really need is shelter and a sleeping bag. Food and drinks are either supplied, or for sale at a cheap rate.. Also, there's a few hundred folks you can pick brains for additional information, as well as look at what others are using..

I have been motorcycle camping since the 80's and this weekend my wife and I asked another couple about the tent they're using. I have a hunch we're getting a new tent. :hmmmmm