Solo SLC to Death Valley, CA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stiernan, Oct 11, 2021.

1. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9607~photo.JPG IMG_9612~photo-full.jpg For my last trip of the year I took a week off of work to head to Death Valley, CA. I've only been there once when I was a kid and we for sure didn't stop. Even if you've been to a place twenty times, it will never look the same when you're seeing it from a motorcycle. My route went from SLC to Tonopah, NV. From there I went to Beatty, NV through Titus Canyon and into Lone Pine, CA. From Lone Pine I went back into Death Valley to Trona. Trona to Ridgecrest and on to Edwards AFB. From Edwards (West Gate) I went back to DV via Bishop, CA. Bishop to Furnace Creek and on to Longstreet, NV and Creech AFB (I attempted to enter Mercury, NV which is a no-no, Area 51). Then Las Vegas and finally home. I was solo but managed to take a few pictures I'll share.

Definitely put Death Valley on your ride list. Fantastic place.
  2. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the old Tonopah air field. Only few hangers left standing and only one you can actually get access to. IMG_9617~photo.JPG IMG_9622~photo.JPG IMG_9624~photo.JPG
    slogger, Milano.B, Muscongus and 2 others like this.
  3. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9663~photo.JPG IMG_9677~photo.JPG IMG_9700~photo.JPG IMG_9718~photo.JPG IMG_9663~photo.JPG IMG_9677~photo.JPG IMG_9700~photo.JPG IMG_9718~photo.JPG IMG_9663~photo.JPG IMG_9677~photo.JPG IMG_9700~photo.JPG IMG_9718~photo.JPG
    slogger and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lookatdirt likes this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    After Utah, the Mojave is my next favourite place. ❤️ More please.
    stiernan likes this.
  7. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Burros are everywhere and they will chew on anything hanging off your bike. I was taking a few photos and this guy was going through my stuff. When you see cars in the middle of nowhere, they are usually the victim of a flashflood. Be very aware when it starts raining. IMG_9810~photo.JPG IMG_9817~photo-full.jpg IMG_9821~photo.JPG
    interceptor1972 and Muscongus like this.
  8. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Visited the Trona Pinnacles (Charleton Heston, Planet of the Apes location site). They were actually filming another movies there. "Captain's Call", a low budget sci-fi thriller (we'll see). Nice people. If you have to stay in Ridgecrest, CA it's a really good idea to take the bike inside. If you don't, it won't be outside in the morning. IMG_9866~photo.JPG IMG_9842~photo.JPG IMG_9858~photo.JPG
  9. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9838~photo-full.jpg Two of the four basic food groups
  10. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped by Edwards AFB and Mojave Spaceport (Virgin Galactic). In the background you can see the commercial aircraft storage area. You can get super close without access to the airfield. Very cool. The B52 display is at the east gate for EAFB and you can get as close as you want. If you're adventurous, you can access the cockpit by climbing up in through the front landing gear (I didn't). IMG_9869~photo.JPG IMG_9872~photo.JPG IMG_9887~photo.JPG IMG_9888~photo.JPG
  11. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I camped one night outside of Stovepipe Wells. Bring a small camping chair. Never reqretted it! There is water at some of the campsites, but drinking it or using it to cook is highly discouraged, even after boiling. Evening was cool. Zero light pollution. I was lucky enough to watch an evening air show. Fighter jets all over the place. Apparently an F-18 Super Hornet crashed that same evening somewhere over the park. The pilot was able to eject. IMG_9894~photo.JPG IMG_9899~photo.JPG IMG_9906~photo.JPG IMG_9908~photo.JPG
  12. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of critters. There are ALOT of taurantulas this year. Gas up before you get into the park. Gassing-up in Furnace Creek is ridiculous. IMG_9690~photo.JPG IMG_9919~photo.JPG IMG_9923~photo.JPG IMG_9954~photo.JPG IMG_9964~photo.JPG
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  13. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back to SLC via I-15. Stopped by Lake Mead (via Moapa, Valley of Fire). The last photo is from the hot springs in Meadow, UT. It's just a few miles off the interstate. Heavy mud there if it has been raining at all.
    Throughout the trip I used the Zoleo for tracking and text communication. Extremely easy system to use and the initial setup doesn't break the bank. The Sena 50 bluetooth was awesome and is hands-down better than trying to keep a pair of earbuds in place under your helmet. Total of 5 days on the road. Listened to three novels and had no idea what was going on at the office. IMG_9806~photo.JPG IMG_9956~photo.JPG IMG_9977~photo.JPG IMG_9991~photo.JPG
  14. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos. Where are all those buses/cars sticking out of the ground?
  15. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report. Thanks
  16. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The International Car Forest in Goldfield, NV
  17. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding about Ridgecrest. We stayed at the Motel 6 and the zombies were out all night.
  18. stiernan

stiernan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right!! I did a loop around the town and there was no "good" place. The guy next door to me was selling dope all night and made zero effort to hide it. Two doors up was brothel. I used my sleeping pad and bag. Pretty messed up place! However, excellent desert riding.
  19. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    “excellent desert riding.”

Oh yeah. Amazing.
  20. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Sadly the easy access points of the Desert are populated by Tweakers more than the rest of Country. Compounded when the weather turns less brutal than Normal making for great riding. Great report thanks.