Solo to Alaska on a KLR-650 a Decade Later...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, May 6, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Just sharing the info with the ADV community Rick in the same manner you shared your Alaska RR...

I already have my sights set to explore the New England states next year in the fall for the autumn colors and see the old neighborhood in Long Island, NY......
  2. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    Taking a photo while riding will get you a distracted driving ticket here in B.C. Going to cost you a few cool c-notes if you get caught
    CharlestonADV, black 8 and mikegc like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that piece of advice CaribooBC, I never looked at it from that aspect with distracted driving laws - they probably have those same laws in some states as well..... :thumbup
  4. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Well first exploring Yellowknife of the KLR this August was riding on the Ingram Trail for the 1st time, and standing on the pegs over many frost heaves and I was tagged for speeding. Whilst I'm in town for work with plenty of time off for riding and fishing thought it would be interesting to attend traffic court and contest the ticket. 6 people in front of me that evening in court were there for distracted driving tickets, at $560 a ticket. Including one young man that earned 2 in less than a week. Each pleaded guilty with circumstances, but the judge quickly shot each down and every single person had to pay. No excuse worked. $$$

Oh and the bylaw officer forgot to write down the bylaw number on my ticket so it was dismissed. Well I'd never had a speeding ticket in Canada, had others in 4 different countries, but can't say anymore that in 34 years of riding in Canada I've never had a speeding ticket...

Nice commentary of the choosing between hotels and camping, the lake pictures sells it.
    bobw, mikegc and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    No thanks, that’s a lot of gas, food money and at least three nights at a hotel at $560 CAN.....
    bobw and i4bikes like this.
  6. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Well.....in rural nice small town BC that's upwards of 8 nights in a hotel, in the far north and bigger cities it is only 3 or 4 nights, in the far far far north 2 nights. Camping the way I camp, that's a long time of riding with great meals out.

Hint 1, most remote campsites in Alaska and Yukon have unofficial overflow camping close to the entrance of state/territorial campsites, just ride in and find what is sometimes the best spot in the area/lake. Note I am happy to pay for camping, in Chicken and Haines Alaska paid for state campsites that I enjoyed very much, but a quiet place is easy to find in most wilderness areas. Ok I do realize I overdo it with free camping on the bike, ie or a wedding present eons ago as a wedding present received a book on free camping in BC, Canada.
  7. CaribooBC

Oddometer:
    Worse than our distracted driving laws are our "Stunting" Laws. Speeding while standing on your pegs could get you a stunting infraction here in BC, 7 day impound of your bike, big fine and you have to pay towing and storage fees while your bike is impounded. Total cost could run over $1500, depending on tow and storage fees.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    :eek2 thats crazy, if you happen to be standing on the pegs through a construction zone (no lead vehicle) and just a little over in kph....

Thanks for all the input Cariboo & Fishenough - did not know all these.
  9. CaribooBC

Oddometer:
    You don't actually have to be speeding, just lift your ass off of the seat and it could be interpreted as stunting.
    i4bikes likes this.
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was pulled over by Virginia's finest in 2010 or 2011 because I stood, briefly, on the pegs on a rural road. The trooper, after addressing the formalities, asked why I was standing. I replied, "I was adjusting the boys as they were in a bit of a bind." He laughed, told me to be careful and let me go.

Mike
    bobw, CharlestonADV, cal08 and 3 others like this.
  11. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mission accomplished glad that you and SAKI are reunited. Enjoyed the RR immensely thanks for taking the time to post. Keep them knees in the breeze. Ride safe my friend.
    i4bikes likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    :lol3 great excuse Mike..
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gordon, doing day trippin' reports exploring local roads before I can go on another multi week adventure....
    Gordon likes this.
  14. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great road trip report black 8. First one I have completely read thru for a few years now, your writing style and photos keep me hooked. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
    black 8 likes this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    No problem - just sharing the passion with the rest of the adv community.

I can't wait to get back out on the road... cheers!
  16. Harti

Harti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cariboo,

that's why I said : safety first. No tickets btw in the rest of the world though... at least not in Germany... :hmmmmm
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Keep the rubber side down Harti...

I've visited Marseille and Naples in the early 90s and I imagine its quite different now. Someday I may make it over there for another visit...
  18. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Huh??? :scratch
  20. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry wrong post!