Solo to Alaska on a KLR-650 a Decade Later...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, May 6, 2017.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see Saki is back in good form Rudy. I will be following your other day trip thread....Dave
    black 8 likes this.
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link black 8.

I've got ton's of catching up to do here.
    simbaboy and black 8 like this.
  3. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup:thumbup
    black 8 likes this.
  4. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Damn it, I ain't getting crap done at work today. How am I gunna explain this to the owner, oh wait, I am the owner. But I really need to get something done today.

I'm stopping at the end of pg. 14, post 280, to be picked up later.

Completely amazing documentation for a trip of a life time, congratulations on taking on the task and creating such complete narration for all to benefit from.

You've kinda clued me in on the ending, but I'm not jumping ahead of your story, I'll read it, post by post, until complete.

Thanks black 8!!

and btw, now I understand your avatar.
    simbaboy and black 8 like this.
  5. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Just an incredible read!

Like many have said, they way you've captured the trip with photo's & drone is just priceless.

I'm up to the "get off". I'm saving the rest for possibly tonight when full attention can be paid to your story.

You've done many a great service with the details in this thread, an absolute must for anyone traveling to the great north.

Thanks again Rudy(if I may).
    black 8 likes this.
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Sam...

I wanted to document my epic trip to Alaska so that I can look back at it someday and reminisce about the people I've met and places that I got to visit.... It was also a way to pay-it-forward to those inmates that forged the way for me when I was doing research for my trip planning...

Rudy
    B10Dave, Gil Favor, bobw and 2 others like this.
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Another congratulations on 'mostly' completing the intended route Rudy, and YOU came home in one piece!

Sad about the KLR, but it does sound like you have brought Saki back up to your standards, a great asset to have the ability and time to do your own tinkering. You didn't get into all the nuts & bolts of how the insurance treated you, but it sounds like Geico did ok. Were all the delays from the insurance end or the dealership?

All in all, a ride to Alaska-EPIC!! Most of us will never experience that, so we 'ride' posthumously through you and other's that have documented it so well, your's being one of the best!!

Look at the likes and follows you've had, you have benefited many. Congratulations again.

Now I wait for you northern New England ride, that is definitely on my bucket list.

I owe ya a beer one day, probably at Stone.
    black 8 likes this.
  8. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always considered one of the attributes (among many) of my '12 KLR is its disposability. IMO, the KLR is a great value for money product. Even after carrying me from Charleston to Alaska (and back) last year, I could easily replace it without remorse. Maybe it's because I view my KLR as nothing more than an amalgam of metal, plastic, and rubber. A new one would be essentially the same thing...with fewer miles and less wear and tear.

Happy holidays.:lol3
    duckman44 and black 8 like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Delay was on the dealer end...

GEICO did an outstanding job handing the claim - been with them for 16 years now... :thumb

The dealer claimed they were waiting on the forks for 131 days... but that is water under the bridge now and all is well.

I'm getting her ready for short trips to the Salton Sea, Slab City, Ocotillo Wells and maybe even get into Arizona for an overnight trip with this cool weather we've been having....
    i4bikes and sealsam like this.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

Sorry Rudy, didn't mean to write you off so early.

Of course I meant vicariously.

All the best on that desert trip! The wife and I spend a good amount of time in the Borrego Springs area, track down some of the 141 metal sculptures, quite a story on those things. Slab City area is pretty 'out there', watch you stuff! Salvation Mountain & East Jesus is worth seeing to.

Safe travels my friend, looking forward to you write up!
    black 8 likes this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    That $h!t was gooooooood..... :beer
    Squatch2112 likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    It's a Redverz Solo Expedition:

Squatch2112 likes this.