Solo to Alaska on a KLR-650 a Decade Later...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, May 6, 2017.

1. Banditryder

Banditryder What I used to ride.

Oddometer:
    So, I'ts now 2:58 pm EDST and I've spent waaaaay too much time reading this amazing tale in one go. Planned for a trip from Pittsburgh to Saskatoon to Whitehorse and back for this year but COVID-19 fouled that up. It'll have to be next year. What an inspiration and education your story is, black8. Thank you. Now I have to figure out how to fit 6.5 billable hours in before 6:30? Glad you're ok.
    black 8 likes this.
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:

He'll... if you're going all the way to Whitehorse, I recommend visiting Dawson City if you haven't already done so. It's like stepping through a time machine walking through the city streets.

With all this pent-up frustration of adventure riders being locked down, I predict there's going to be a mass migration happening next year so I'll be going early in the season...

safe travels...
    :beer
    mikegc likes this.
  3. Kebabmonster

Kebabmonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read the whole RR over the last 3 days when I had free time Black 8. Loved it. Stunning pics and drone footage, good write ups, bad news about the off, but good that you weren't seriously hurt. And good that you got the bike back up and running (eventually).

I had an off last year on my Scotland trip on my KLV1000, low sided on a right hand bend, with 80 miles to go to get back to my hotel. Bike was still rideable after the crash, but needed a new rh fairing (ebay, £40. I thought they'd be like rocking horse sh1t, but found one as soon as I got home :super), indicator smashed, rear brake lever was bent (I've managed to sort of straighten this, grinds me that an OEM one is over £60 :dirtdog), and my jacket and pants were a bit ripped up, pants more than the jacket. I hit the inside of my right bicep hard into the ground that I didn't really feel until I'd went about 40 miles. Was a tough ride back to the hotel after that. Next day I was in agony with the arm. But the bike and myself are now fine, and we live to ride again.

Good luck on your next adventure, and stay safe my friend.

Andy.
    black 8 likes this.
  4. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still hoping for this summer, if the Canadian borders open up. Great trip report and wonderful pictures. Been taking notes and making notations on road atlas. Will not be as adventurous as you since I am riding a HD Ultra but planning to do TOTW and Taylor Hwy plus Denali hopefully. Plan is to leave 6/4/20, a week later than original plan but 14yr anniversary is 3 June. Thought it would be in my best interest to be here.
    mikegc and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your story Andy.

You know what they say; "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger..."

The southern California deserts have become my playground during the last three years and have learned a thing or two about packing lighter...

15.jpg

28.jpeg

20.jpg

31.jpg

6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer here's to @taylor hoping that the restrictions are lifted before then.

Definitely for the 14th years anniversary = happy, happy life...
    taylor likes this.