SOLVED - A California DMV question - title jumping / transfer conundrum w/ uncooperative orig seller

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MeefZah, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I would go for a 17 or newer 701 over a 690.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meredith and I are driving straight to and from Modesto tomorrow so no meetup for us :(

Next time

I've really moved this thread into new territory
  3. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    2014 (first year of the better ones) w 1400 miles? No?
  4. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    690 would be fun no doubt,Ive ridden one a little. The 17 and up 701 is the bomb. Mas Hose Powwah,smoother by a good ways,top end bits and pieces sorted (totally changed) better after many years of random rocker arm issues on 690's.690 Rocker arms can be replaced pretty easy and most serious people would do it every 10,000 miles or less.

The 17 701 I rode.................F Me. That summbitch was pretty smooth and "really" fast,from mid up it pulled like a twin. Tall and can only be lowered so far applies to both.

For you,you already have street or distance traveling covered and a 690 might be just fine, for local jaunts on all the bitchin dirt and backroads over there.
    I havent heard of any 701's breaking. My buddie's 701 is an oil burner after 12,000 miles but that's maybe a fluke.

Guys have put tons of miles on many 690's,Im not saying they arent fun as hell and good bikes. Going on a 690 forum would give lots of clues what goes on with one long term.
    ================
    I had an early KTM Big Single,a 96 Lc4 620 SC. ......SC......... I found out later means Super Competition tuned engine and bike has a plate grafted on .
    It would wheelie all the way up an on ramp and onto the the freeway at 70mph still doing an easily controlled wheelie.
    I rode it to Cabo and back and nearly vibrated my eyeballs right out of my head,felt like the Keebler elves were beating the bottoms of my feet with sledge hammers at 8850 RPM. I would cruise it at 90mph drafting the BMW's the crazy germans were riding on the trip.
    All KTM/Husky big singles vibrate to some degree.

A 701 can go 125mph. Slight tuning yields 84 HP.
  5. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Well we're gonna find out cause Ima committed now

BUT I'LL TRANSFER TITLE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    12 and 13 are good to IMO. Full 690 cc, no ABS and tunable with Tune ECU free program and your computer. 14's got ABS, 2 plug head and locked ECU. Forks are a matter of opinion. I like the 12/13 with regular open chamber forks with both rebound and compression adjustable in both legs. 14 went to Explorer style with comp in one leg and rebound the other. If serious off road, either can benefit from at least minor mods. Fuel capacity can be a concern on any years. I like the Rade tank which replaces air box and gives 1.5 gals more. FWIW
    MeefZah likes this.
  7. zacnzoe

zacnzoe bustnluc

Oddometer:
    As in Meef.... Zah. I’ve never had the pleasure, so obviously I’m civilized an it’s Mr. Zah. Showing mad respect and all don’t cha know?????
  8. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Please

call me 'sir'
    Scotty707, Foot dragger and zacnzoe like this.
  9. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meef, if you're ever in Sonoma county and want to try a 701
    I have a 2017 with a Rade intake, PC5 and Wings exhaust.
    It'll freak you out how quick it is for a thumper, and smooth.
    MeefZah likes this.
  10. airfin

airfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI - I know this is solved, but for anyone buying or selling in CA. Print out the CA DMV power of attorney and have it signed by the seller, or if you are the seller supply one to the buyer. This way you never have to go back to the seller for any paperwork. I learned this years ago and it wins every time.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive owned a flock of big thumpers,I rode a 17 701 and holy moly.
    Civilized,smooth,really fast. I would end up spending 5K on set up on one but that's how it goes.
  12. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Maybe find a good bike and settle down?
    You change bikes more than I change underwear....
    Jfc
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    I like playing around. I have yet to find one that checks all the boxes!!!!

And if you only change your underwear every 5000 miles then you're fucking gross, you nasty goat!!!
    Rips Millar likes this.
  14. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    This is freaking gold. I don't know how many people would sign any kind of power of attorney, thinking it's a scam but, that's good to know.
  15. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    It is a good idea. We blindly sign those when trading in financed vehicles to a dealership... no reason not to do the same in private party transfers. Though, in fairness, I personally wouldn't sign one from a stranger or not from a reputable business... but I'd sure ask for one as a buyer.
  16. airfin

airfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it’s only signing over power of attorney to handle all the paperwork for registering it. I’ve done many and can’t see any negative behind it. Even as a seller, I have the release of liability on file so I’m covered.
  17. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    I totally get this but I’ve had sellers get weird about all kinds of things during a sale. Anything saying something ominous like power of attorney will scare a lot of people.
  18. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a seller, I wouldn't ever give you a power of attorney, there's no reason you need one. I assume in every transaction I do that I'll never get a second chance. I triple check everything. There are two other things as a seller that I require, and I've lost a deal or two because of it. First, I require that the Buyer name/address be filled in completely on the title. If you aren't the buyer, or you don't know who the buyer will be, then I won't sell to you, because I can't legally execute the title as it requires that I 'certify' that I sold it to a specific buyer. Second, I use a simple bill of sale that lists buyer/seller/vin/purchase price. That purchase price is the true purchase price, not a 'special price' for the DMV, your bank, spouse, etc. I'm in Oregon, ymmv.
  19. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeebus. I f'in hate the DMV. Bunch o' waste-of-space mouth breathers.
    Two recent(ish) examples:
    1. Bought a bike. It was just over two years old, but only had ~700 miles on odo. Seller forgot to sign off on the odo reading, but I didn't notice. Took paperwork to DMV, paid fees. Everything good, right? Nope. DMV suspended registration and sent me nastygram. I was unable to get any response from the seller. Took over 9 months of back and forth between me & DMV before I finally received title.
    2. Somewhat similar to OP. I bought a bike from a seller who had never transferred title to his name (yea, should have known better). But, did my bit anyway, popped by DMV paid fees, etc, etc. Weeks later I get notice saying registration suspended. This time it only took 6 months.
    This year alone, I have paid the DMV over $2,000 in vehicle fees (only one of my vehicles is under 3 years old).
    If only the monies we Californians paid in taxes & fees to the DMV actually went to transportation...
    MeefZah and Donkey Hotey like this.
  20. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    DMV employees are pretty much just like the rest of us. Some are more cheerful and helpful and some border on obnoxious. The fact that some are in the first category at all when they deal with mostly unhappy people all day long is almost surprising. The employees didn't make the rules, they just have to operate under them. The biggest cost during transfer transactions is sales tax, not a DMV fee, and is determined by the tax rate in your county or city. I haven't seen any of the complaints posted here that is the fault of the DMV. Can't say it doesn't happen. I have had plenty of unpleasant interactions with the DMV over many decades. It took me a long time to realize it wasn't their fault I didn't know what was required.

Having a check-in person reviewing what you want and what you need goes a long way to making the visits better than waiting an inordinate amount of time to be told the same thing when you finally get to a window.
    MeefZah likes this.