SOLVED - A California DMV question - title jumping / transfer conundrum w/ uncooperative orig seller

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MeefZah, Nov 7, 2020.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I should say (if I didn't say it above) that I'm not angry at the DMV or at anyone else. I acknowledge my culpability here. But once you're in the situation the DMV isn't super helpful in offering help in extricating yourself except for offering "off the record" advice which was actually illegal (not that I care, just pointing out that the help they offered was a way to circumvent the system)... were it not for Tucker I would have had no real idea what was actually required and I would have been throwing shit at the wall to see what stuck at considerable expense of time. I agree that walking in there with paperwork ready to go is the way but there's some situations where even an intelligent person isn't going to be able to determine what is required in advance without help and that's where a lot of frustration enters into it.

And I'm always crazy nice / friendly / polite to employees in positions like the DMV (or waitresses)... they have a rough job dealing with 20% total assholes, plus they control your fate!
    Scotty707 likes this.
  2. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    old dmv story

i went in to pay reji and i was a day late which would have been a healthy fee. The dude told me to meet me over on the side of the building, not sure why, maybe just to get away from his co workers....? He then told me to put yesterday's date on the check and he put it through without any fine....i was blown away. This was 30ish years ago.
  3. Spinman

Spinman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $ fixes everything. I was given a Kawasaki 1000 that posed outside as the dogs chew toy for a decade. I didn't want to pay 10 years worth of fees, and the person I got it from had never put it in his name either, so after a trip to the DMV and them telling me there would be all these fees, plus the bike had dropped out of their system, I grabbed back the title before they started typing and said thanks, but no thanks. After thinking for a couple of days, I went back and applied for a lost title. Since it was out of their system, they just charged me for the current registration and gave me a plate for like $47 or something, I don't remember, but it was cheap! So lost title is another avenue that can work.
  4. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pro Life Tip here. Never piss off someone who can make your life difficult.
  5. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Or spit in your food
    Foot dragger likes this.
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    A guy at Chico DMV,looked a little like a well groomed Porky Pig comics character,but I wont mention that here.

I was ramping up to get a 2006 525 EXC plated,getting what I needed to send to a title person. The Porky Pig dude started to send me on my way,then he called me back,which is unheard of. There was a waiting room full of unfortunate losers waiting their high dollar fate.

He calls me back and we go over just how I can get the plate done myself,he pulls out a thick book and says there's a shit load of rules and regs pertaining to plating dirt bikes and virtually nobody here knows shit nor shinola about it all. There's much bigger fish to fry. He spends 25 minutes showing me just how to do it and says it happens all the time. Depends on which DMV nutball you get,some are obviously damaged.

While everybody waits,he tells me the in's/out's and what have you's..................could smell the tension and sweat in the air,many of these people waiting are F'd and they know it. The 525 got plated. Despite all the guys on ADV saying "there's no fucking way" "It cant be done and was never done" "You will be hunted down and shot in your sleep if you run afoul of CA dmv!".
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I've had so many arguments in the past at DMV they called Security on me....I said "now you're talking".....ended up on first name basis with the manager at a couple of locations. It's no picnic but it's not rocket surgery......the downfall is BACK FEES.....don't buy anything with back fees unless it is deducted in value. My own motorhome Mad Max had $600 in back fees......I paid $2100 for it with a smog certificate.....that's another bummer, don't buy a car that needs a smog cert unless it HAS a smog cert less than 90 days old. There are a few hiccups in store for buyers that are not too savvy or just plain gullible. If you are at all unsure don't be afraid to seek professional advice. My advice is FREE....but you get what you pay for. I used to be a Licensed California Vehicle Dealer and a Bonded Verifier......I gave all that up and now lay in the sun with drinks that have fruit in them and little umbrellas.
  8. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmmm. so that's the reason for the influx of californians :hmmmmm