Solved AT Vibe Mis-shift again!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by radbrad511, Jun 9, 2020.

1. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Often reading about CRF1000l false neutral, dropped shift and my favorite Vibration.

The AT Forum features hair on fire owners screaming at Honda and dealers about un-safe, Lemon Law death machines. One guy on there suggested operator error and offered solutions. Few, including me, followed his great advise. After chasing a vibe and experiencing false neutrals I went on a mission to solve the issue.

My bike: 2017 CRF1000l manual started having issues around 9000 miles and now has 13000. Replaced rear wheel bearings, cush drive rubbers, chain and sprockets, still had issues.

The fix:
    1) Your chain is too tight! The manuals adjustment specs are too tight! With the bikes rear wheel off the ground the chain should touch the end of chain rub block where it attaches to the underside of the swingarm. That is WAY more slack than on most bikes. Close to 70mm on the stand. If you dont believe it needs so much slack, unbolt the linkage and check with sprockets, swingarm pivot in line. Your chain is too tight!!

2) Run the Honda GN4 10/30 Dino oil. It is cheap, it works, change as soon as shifting gets notchy. (about 4000 miles for me, I change with every rear tire).

3) Your shift lever is likely too low. The AT has a pretty long shift lever throw. To shift correctly you must engage the next gear AND the lever needs to ratchet all the way down. If the lever rests on your boot at all, missed shift results.

These adjustments completely eliminated my problems. hope this helps someone love their bike. YMMV.
    Junglejeff1 and Lewilewi like this.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Obviously riding a ktm 1290 super adventure r, I dont have problems..lol..

The africa twin was my 2nd choice tho, that's why i keep a eye on this part of the forum,

I totally applauded your efforts at working around and solving your issue, so nice when owner think practically rather than label the bike as " common fault" and all that b.s...

If I'm honest i had a handling issue with the 1290, it tank slapped at 120mph badly, a few owners have the same complaint, it took me a while to solve it, and bike maintenance patients and set up were the cure, now its solid up to flat out ( 160mph )

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-1290-s-a-r-high-speed-weave-trouble-shooting-to-cure.1314926/
  3. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are cool! Would love to spend a day on the 1290!
  4. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Got get one from ktm, they are there on demo FREE, just ask
  5. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your chain is way to loose.
    I have mine slack at around 45 to 50mm on centre stand.
    Every bike i get, i set chain slack at around 15mm with axle, swingarm bolt and front sprocket aligned, in AT's case gives the above mentioned.

Oil, not going to debate, each there own. Oil can have an effect, but been using Motul 7100 near 80k km, this has no effect on false neutral.

Gear lever, possibly. My false shifts only happen between 4th to 5th, all my fault being lazy upshifting.
  6. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Sir-

Same. 4th-5th. Solved. Vibration, solved. My message is dont run your chain too tight. My truth is that tight chain causes problems. I offer solution. Perhaps you are correct, are you not upside down in OZ?

YMMV!!
  7. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time my bike goes into the dealer it comes out with the chain too tight. They push and pull to get the factory slack, but it's not enough. I always loosen so that no force is needed to achieve required play, plus a little. Just my opinion!
    radbrad511 likes this.