SoMD Adventure Riders Continental Divide ride 2012 (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Oct 20, 2011.

1. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:

I think Dave is gonna be on one wheel a lot.:D
  2. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Doesn't Dave spend a lot of time on one wheel normally? :lol3

Finished up the maintenance on the bikes, put on the throw away tires, and did a little bit more packing. Should have all the major stuff finished tonight so we are right on track. How is everyone's packing and final preps going...12 days left? :evil
  3. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Oil changed, TPS adjusted, throttle adjusted....just sprockets, rear pads and chain to go :D
    Not much weight...just odd shaped light stuff. :evil
  4. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    did a full packing test yesterday and everything fits with room to spare:D
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Fixed!
  6. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I'm in the process of staging all my gear/kit. I should have it packed out later this week. I'm heading over to Morton's on Friday to have them fix the oil leak.
  7. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    that will work as long as he is willing to split motel fees:lol3
  8. jairlie

jairlie Enjoy the ride

Oddometer:
    In response to Blaster's question concerning preparation status. Put me in the need to catch up category. See below for some minor issues. Where did the time go?

For Lakota: Packed bead breaker and siphon per instructions. Whole lot of room left in side bags. Windshield clean and chain lubed. Haven't selected tires yet. Figuring our standard tool set? Communications equipment beginning to fail. Not sure which part, but result is my Sena isn't ...er...Senaing. I can't seem to talk to or hear anyone. I'll try figuring it out in between golf matches. Updated GPS with latest maps and now I have lots of blank spots on the GPS and the phrase "your maps are out of date" keeps popping up. I'll follow you. Ruth asked "how long is the trip?". I informed her how long is a chinaman. Didn't make points. Academy training didn't include when using it is inappropriate. Butt time test Saturday (4+30) indicates more butt time needed or it is going to be a miserable trip. Are your usual last minute instructions still applicable - passport, tickets, credit card?

For everyone else: I really am looking forward to meeting all of you. Did a short trip across Hwy 24 to Hartsel and through Hoosier pass to Frisco Saturday. Still snow in some places, but all I saw was passable. Temperatures have been unusually warm. Dodged smoke from the Lake George fire and two large thunderstorms. Obviously we won't be able to dodge all the thunderstorms on the trip, so put your rain gear where it is easily accessible or glory in the cooling liquid - your choice.

For Dorito or Blaster (not sure who it was) - Thanks for the Cornerspin recommendation. If I had known what it was I wouldn't have gone. Having gone I will go again. It is a school for high performance racing. Not how to ride in dirt (although by default you do learn that as well). They do it in the dirt to teach you what it is like to go to the limits and beyond of bike and rider. Went down on the bike seven times. Wasn't even close to the most times down. Everyone went down, even the instructors (except the school owner who can really ride). But the racing techniques do make you a better rider.
  9. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fire has broken out near Pikes Peak.

This should add some adventure to our trip. Especially since there wasn't going to be any because of our level of preparation.:evil
  10. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannot believe how long you guys have been planning... I've been planning for near that time, but I'm still building the dam bike...

Don't mean to crash your party, but here is a great link to the USDA Fire Data in Google Earth. May be of assistance in planning. Note that you must have GE running before clicking on the "Large Incident", "Current" links under the USA map. If you have your CDR route up, the fires will be overlayed on your route. As well as web cams, pics, historical stuff, volcanos, trails, and a bunch of other stuff to clutter up your screen. As soon as you turn most of the crap off, it's pretty cool.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/googleearth.php
  11. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the middle of the CDR a couple weeks ago with 3 buddies. We fought alot with the GPS but finally got it sorted around the NM/Colorado state line. Some of the off-route excursions in NM were highlights of the trip though.

Here is a link to the blog that Jason kept.

I'll add some notes as I think about them:
    I rode a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure and a Heidenau K60 rear tire did the entire ~5000 mile trip and still has some life left. The tire flat spotted which gives some odd feedback when you reach that angle of lean but traction on pavement or dirt never suffered. I can't say the same for the TKC80 front I chose. It did great for a solid 3000 miles but then started to develop an odd wear pattern which eventually turned into a pretty bad riding tire at 5000 miles. I ran stock pressures front and rear except in the dirt where I dropped the rear to 34 psi. Only once did I have to drop the pressures for traction (off-route in Wyoming) and the feel was phenominal but I'd rather not risk a flat. I ran heavy duty tubes with Slime and I still feel the need for high pressures!

I used Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags which worked great. I had 3 crashes and the bags don't look like I had even one. I have the crash bars also and everytime the bike was laying on the crash bars and saddlebags. That's it. Pretty cool. Everyone else on the trip had hard bags and theirs looks worse than mine. Ofcourse I'd like a set of hard bags but I'm glad I opted for the soft bag option on this trip.

If throttle rests only came in solid gold I'd still buy one at today's prices. I don't know how I would've made the slog across the country with it. My stock seat served me fine as well. All the other guys had highway pegs and there were times that would have been nice.

Fuel range on the KTM was poor. I was going 150 miles before the fuel light came on. We ran to 178 miles on the longest stretch and I still had ~1 gallon to empty according to the listed capacity. This turned out not to be an issue on the route because we bypassed the southern section of NM and the northern section of Wyoming. The two guys that were not riding 990's gave us crap constantly though our choices were typically stopping at 150 miles or 250 miles.
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So, I have to say FEDEX maybe earned their bacon back. Somehow, they have delivered the boxes before the original date. They even left two phone messages during the process. One to indicate the said boxes had been recovered, and another today to let me know it had been delivered.

game on!
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Joe Dirt--

Thanks for the intel. It was great to hear some of nuggets (e.g averaging 250 mile days), high altitude campgrounds, etc.
  14. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Sandia BMW to verify appointments and add an oil change plus have them fix my oil leak.

No Go on them opening on Monday. Bummer!

They didn't have Dave on the list even though I had scheduled both appointments during the same phone call a while back. When they heard it was a KTM that needed tires they REFUSED......:eek1:eek1:eek1

but I talked them into it and you don't even need to take off the wheels in the parking lot Dave. They would like for you to call them to give them the model year of your bike(I couldn't remember) so they can get the proper torque specs. Talk to Baird 505-884-0066.
  15. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I've been getting quite a lot of nice compliments on the sticker, and I thought I would share some of the leg work in getting something like these done.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, the first thing to do is come up with a basic design/inspiration. In this case, the shape is the same as the CDR trail. A buddy from work designed the rest. But, then we ran into a little snag. The final design wasn't high enough resolution (and he was out time)--needs to be around 600 dpi to prevent pixalation at print for graphics.

So, I decided to buy Adobe Photoshop and see if I couldn't redraw it. Oh, never buy a program with more options that you have talent! After a week or two of toiling I was able to finish it.

We used the following guy for printing. I've been really impressed with the vinyl quality too! He takes about 3 weeks to turn around. All three runs I have done are reflective.

http://drivingforcegraphics.com/
  16. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking out for me Erik....
    From the tracking information, my tires are due to arrive at Sandia tomorrow, I be sure to give Baird a call tomorrow afternoon.
  17. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    JD, Thanks for the intel....
    Sounds like you got the mileage I was expecting...I'll be carrying an extra 3 gallons with me so I should have a 250 mile range if needed.
  18. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    So this weekend I will open up the execution phase thread over in trip reports so stay tuned. Our plan is to post as often as possible which I imagine will be every day or two but we will have to see how things pan out. It's finally here and Dorito and I are pretty stoked!!!! :clap
  19. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Same here.....last of the preps this weekend and off we go Friday :freaky
  20. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    Dorito, YGM