SoMD Adventure riders do James Bay/Trans Taiga (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Feb 2, 2013.

1. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Thank you for the update. We should be able to communicate between the four of us if I read the advertising right.

I can just imagine our conversations......turn here, no there, no maybe over there..... Can we stop at Tim Horton's? I need an espresso.....

How long do the batteries last?

:-)
  2. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I sent an email request for meals to Christoph at Mirage but have not heard back yet. I'll ping him perhaps on Monday or Tuesday.

I think making reservations in Chibougamau is a good idea. We can change as needed with sufficient notice. I'm happy to make these if y'all like. Any preference for which of the three places? Maybe I should collect up some data e.g. cost ?
  3. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    We have linked four riders before without issue but you need to watch the order in which you ride versus linked order. I am all about stopping at Timmy's! :D Dana and I can usually get between ten and twelve hours out of a charge. The plan this year is that when we stop for and extended period of time we are going to charge them on the bike so we can get a bit more out of them if needed.
  4. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Just remember where button "B" is. :lol3
  5. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I prefer the off button.
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Just as a girl primps for an upcoming prom, Dorito has been getting all dolled up. Tore the bike down to itsy bitsy parts to get to the bottom of the universe where the valves live. They were fine, but looks like the throttle cable is starting to fray at 52K miles.

Lots of stuff done from tip to tale. Serviced brake calipers (greased the slider pins so we don't repeat the sticky front caliper from last time we did Canada) and new brake pads.

Got the new chain and sprockets ready, but need to get some wheel bearings. New skins mounted and balanced. Should be buttoned up by next weekend, if I get all my loose parts in on time :clap
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I've found that a day fits well on a single page. At a minimum, I will PDF them from basecamp and send them out to the team.

I might have some extra time, so I am thinking about sending them over to FEDEX/Kinkos for printing trip book style (e.g. 4 inches wide by 6 inches and bound on the top) on the no-tear paper.

Will let you know how it works out!
  8. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    T-25 Days....Canada Insurance cards arrived today!
  9. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    ???

Dibs on the back of the line
  10. blaster11

Oddometer:
    OK, if any one of the riders get out of range then anyone connected to them or using them for a bounce will lose comms with the others as you are hard linked. Unlike CB's or other comm sets where if you are in range you can hear and talk to others. This will become crystal clear after it happens a few times.
  11. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    http://tourismebaiejames.com/en

I found this link useful. It has lodging information (in English) that is helpful.
    http://tourismebaiejames.com/en/accommodation/accommodation/hotels
    for hotels it is pretty good.

Some interesting B and B's
    http://tourismebaiejames.com/en/bed-and-breakfasts/accommodation/bed-and-breakfasts
    and even cottages that look to be rentable by the night
    http://tourismebaiejames.com/en/cot...es/accommodation/cottages-and-vacations-homes
    and places to eat.....mmmmmm.....
    http://tourismebaiejames.com/en/restaurants/accommodation/restaurants
  12. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    What gps device(s) do you use?
    I'm thinking of upgrading......any suggestions?
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I have the Zumo 660. I would say it is "go to" for the type of riding I will do. The Zumo 665 only differs as it has XM radio/traffic (if that is important to you).

If you really want to spend a decent chunk of time learning the idiosyncrasies, the Garmin Montana would also be an excellent choice. However, while it is a somewhat more capable toy, the level of customization to really get the last bit of capability from it will consume mass amounts of time until you learn it.

I believe that GPScity hasoffer -15% off code: ADVRIDER15 and you might want to send a PM MotomanDan as he is a southern MD local dealer (RT5/RT6) and has some nice deals too.

Lastly, Blaster is running the Zumo 550 and while it's going end of life, they can be found in the flea market section of ADV quite frequently for $250-400. I will say that the Zumo 550 does have the most limitations of the options listed, but for the money it can suit the need.
  14. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
  15. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I'm considering an experiment using gps with a couple of different platforms and software tools. I appreciate there many many options.

I was thinking to try the Bad Elf pro 2200 as the receiver and see how different platforms work with it including my iphone 4, an ipad, an ipad mini and a laptop. The Bad Elf receiver sends data to the 'recipient' platform via bluetooth and can send it to five devices at the same time. It is also a stand alone gps 'recording' device (~100 hours) so one can later download their track.
  16. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I've sent a request for Sunday night Sept 1 at the Chalets Waconichi, $112/sleeps 4 in Chibougamau.

If I don't get a response I'll call.

:-)
  17. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting! So, the Bad Elf will provide Lat/long via blue tooth? How will you handle the actual directions? Does the iPhone take GPX files?

I just hope the cabins are the lakefront part of the photo. But after 300+ miles I might just not care where I am sleeping that night.
  18. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  19. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    The ipad has no gps built in unless you get the G3 model. The bad elf provides lat/long coordinates to an ipad or an ipad mini opening an interesting option for mapping routes and trips.
  20. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation to contact Motomandan in Mechanicsville MD.
    I had a great visit to his shop on Rt 235 and learned a good deal. His R1200GS set up is a gem. He just returned from a 31 day trip to Alaska and had very helpful suggestions and recommendations based on his trip. The 665 sounds like a sweet gps but is back ordered for some time which is ok because it is $.