SoMD Adventure riders do James Bay/Trans Taiga (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    what tire do you need?
  2. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:

thanks
    on order and they say will be here Thursday

Ken
    Thanks for asking.
  3. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    I ordered a pair of TKC80's from Revzilla and they arrived the next day.

This was my order for my R1200GS

Item# 157702
    Continental Twinduro TKC80 Dual Sport Tires
    Wheel Location: Front / Tire Size: 110/80B19 TL
    In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
    1 $133.46

Item# 157705
    Continental Twinduro TKC80 Dual Sport Tires
    Wheel Location: Rear / Tire Size: 150/70B17 TL
    In Stock: Ships within 24 hours
    1 $180.46 $180.46

Crofton Powersports will mount and balance for ~$25/wheel
  4. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I got a response from the cabin folks (Chibougamau) and they said the cabins are all booked. Sorry.

Our choice now is Hotel Nord or Hotel Chibougamau.

Any preferences?
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    At this point, just grab a hotel. No preference.
  6. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. frazman

frazman Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - sorry for butting into your convo here but I've been going through your thread here a bit.

A week ago today, I was camped out at KM 203 along the Trans Taiga with some buddies and we just got back a few days ago.

One thing you should be aware of is that Nouchimi Outfitters is completely closed/abandoned and there's no gas there. However, CargoAir is located about 200m further up the road and is full-service (fuel/food and lodgings). I think fuel was about $1.60 to 1.80 per litre...wasn't really paying all that much attention....not like you have a choice! There was fuel available at Air Saguenay at the end of TT at Caniaspicau. Might be helpful for the bikes with smaller fuel tanks. Marylene might still be on shift if you get to Mirage before the 28th. Great lady and super host!

Goretex, thermal layers and 0C sleeping bags are must-haves. It's gettin' chilly and wet up there! Accommodations are not guaranteed. I got shafted at Auberge Radisson one cold and wet night when a hockey team was in residence. Hotel keeper in Radisson mentioned that the locals nicknamed the town "Wet-isson" and "Vent-isson" (wind in French).

Be prepared for a lot of loose squishy gravel on the TT. Graders have been working overtime up there. Saw more than one vehicle abandoned in the ditch up there. A huge dump truck was one of them.

Any other questions, fire away.

frazman
  8. frazman

Oddometer:
    you'll be on the F700? You'll be fine with two 1 gal rotopax + tank for the longest stretch (Relais 381 on JBR to KM 286 on TT). I did the same thing and had fuel to spare.

If you're lucky, you might find one of my (full) rotopax tanks somewhere on the first 100km of the TT. It managed to shake itself loose of its moorings...didn't notice it was gone until I hit the end. I had them strapped down on the panniers with roxstraps. Not good enough!

Out and back from Mirage to Caniaspicau is about 400km (250 miles). At 80km/h (50mph) avg speed, your mileage and range will be favourable if there;s no fuel at Canaispicau (which there should be).

9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Welcome home! :clap Glad you could join us for a bit. We are mostly like kids on Christmas eve; With T-10 days to lift off, excitement is thick in the air.

Any chance you are planning a ride report? If so, please do share the link with us. Any bit of kit you wished you had but didn't?
  10. frazman

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad to add in a bit of context for you...hopefully without spoiling the anticipation for ya'll! I won't do a ride report - nothing much new to say, I'll just add on to whatever else is out there. JDROCKS has set the bar for the JBR/TT ride report. Aside from some sketchy weather, our trip was entirely uneventful. Which is not a bad thing that far up North.

Cool things we/I saw: northern lights, space shuttle transiting a couple of times overhead one night, a couple of REALLY big black bears, bobcat, Cree hunt camps, Cree village (Waskaganish), incredibly huge forest fire scar from fire that happened in July of this year, a REALLY big pike that "got away", a couple of massive walleye (pickerel) fillets that some fishermen were prepping, absolutely huge rivers, reservoirs and dams., chllling out in a hot tub a hundreds of miles from nowhere, a full-on 737 jet parked on a runway in the middle of the forest.

I wish I had brought my real goretex waterproof gloves instead of my lighter weight water-resistant ones. My hands were pretty cold, wet and numb more than a few times.

Wish I had brought a good quality telescoping fishing rod and a good selection of tackle. I brought my lightweight minicaster rod and only a few lures and was woefully inadequate for the fishing around there. The telescoping rig meant you could hop off the bike at any river/lake and make a few casts out with out much in the way of fuss or bother. My minicaster needed assembly and disassembly each time. Hassle.

Better straps or the rotopax locking mounts for my rotopax fuel cans. Wouldn't have lost them eventually (one on the TT, one somewhere on the Trans-Canada). The leash for my Contour camera - it came flying off on the TT and took a while to find it. Even then it was pretty smashed up.

Also wish I had installed the Rox Risers for my F800GS - long stretches standing (like dozens of miles at a stretch) on the gravel road were hard on my lower back...bad ergs. Needed that extra couple of inches to be more comfortable. I'm fine on local rides with short standing stretches with the stock setup....an hour of standing...that was a bit different.

Things I'm really glad I had: visor cleaner and cloth, even though my visor is now thoroughly sand-blasted and will need to be replaced; throttle lock/throttle rocker thingy - made those long stretches on the slab at 120-130km/h more manageable on the throttle hand. Tools to change tires and fix chain and spare tubes. Didn't need them, but felt totally secure that I was self sufficient in that regard.

We were camping, so REALLY glad I brought my OC (32F) sleeping bag. It was nippy at night!
  11. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Frazman....thanks for dropping in and sharing your experience, your information will definitely come in handy! If you have pictures I would be interested in seeing them.
  12. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Ditto Dorito's and Blaster11's thanks.

Thanks Frazman for your very helpful suggestions.

Nothing is more helpful than a fellow traveler's most recent experience!

Danke mucho....
  13. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I have a 'spare' set of Rox risers on the shelf is someone on this adventure would like to try them out.

Also have spares of a Gerbing jacket (L size/old style) and a pair of pants (L size) and a pair of electric sole liners (not soul liner/the other sole).

Can you tell I like to ride in the cold or I'm from South Dakota or I have a problem with cool kit?
  14. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I am all good...thanks for the offer.
  15. frazman

Oddometer:

No probs! I'll throw some pics up for ya'll, but I get the feeling that you may have seen the exact same landscapes in others' ride reports!

Have a great ride!
  16. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    :nod We won't call it 'problematic' maybe just a bit CDO (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, arranged alphabetically!)
  17. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    where it is 50F this AM
  19. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    For example weather for the next ten days in Radisson Quebec:

Today
    Aug 16
    62°F
    47°F
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    10%
    WIND:
    W at 9 mph

Sat
    Aug 17
    74°
    57°
    Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    10%
    WIND:
    S at 17 mph

Sun
    Aug 18
    62°
    50°
    Showers
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    60%
    WIND:
    W at 12 mph

Mon
    Aug 19
    63°
    50°
    Mostly Sunny
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    0%
    WIND:
    E at 7 mph

Tue
    Aug 20
    72°
    56°
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    10%
    WIND:
    SSW at 15 mph

Wed
    Aug 21
    69°
    46°
    Scattered Showers
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    30%
    WIND:
    WSW at 16 mph

Thu
    Aug 22
    57°
    44°
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    20%
    WIND:
    WNW at 15 mph

Fri
    Aug 23
    58°
    44°
    Mostly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    20%
    WIND:
    SW at 12 mph

Sat
    Aug 24
    62°
    48°
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    20%
    WIND:
    SW at 12 mph

Sun
    Aug 25
    60°
    45°
    Cloudy
    CHANCE OF RAIN:
    20%
    WIND:
    WSW at 11 mph
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Marriott Point Chasers

If you are Marriott member, make sure you visit the promotion central once you login to the website. They currently have two promotions:

MegaBonus®
    Marriott Rewards® Unexpected Bonus