SoMD Adventure riders do James Bay/Trans Taiga (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Feb 2, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    new tires (Metzler Karoos) installed and oil changed.
    ready to go:D
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Did Motorcycle superstore deliver on time for you?
  3. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    2 days, just like you said
  4. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Any good salty snacks packed?
  5. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    A quite panic rolls through the garage. It's that moment when you realize you are beyond the point of no return. Alas, the sinking feeling is now coupled with a queasy dose of reality.

The Adventure will not be going on this trip. Despite the on again, off again successes and failures of fixing the ABS module problem over the last few weeks, it's obvious the ABS module needs to be rebuilt/replaced. With one more phone call to make on Monday, her fate is pretty much sealed.

With one mistress stepping down, the only thing left is for the HP2 to dig deep and shine. With an oil change, final drive flush, new tires, she will be the steed. While this should be a trip should be right up her alley, the HP2 lacks the heated Russell Day Long saddle--a feature which I am sure will be sorely missed.
  6. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    No butts about it, those Russel saddles are the shiz

The one on my KTM is not heated either.
  7. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    What does that do to the fuel range?
  8. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    At approximately 42mpg I should be at about 225 miles or a bit more but then again I have never run it dry with this tank....so my results may vary. :huh

Yep, it is pretty sad that the Adventure isn't going as I love riding that bike! The tough part is now I have more than a few things to do between now and Saturday morning to make sure the HP2 is "ready". One of which is getting new tires mounted, which I just ordered from Revzilla a few hours ago. I need to call them first thing in the morning and see if the tires are coming from the East coast or West coast. Although the HP2 will most likely be just fine, mentally I am just not prepared for the differences and the anxiety of fuel.....when you normally ride a tanker fuel is never a worry. Like they say "What doesn't kill you...."
  9. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  10. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    It occurs to me that I've got a one gallon rotopax and mount on the G650GS racks thats not going to be used......

if you found a place to mount it on the HP2......
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Just some Jerky.

No passenger foot pegs but I have a plan to carry an extra gallon. I have the Touratech pannier mounts and two two litre plastic fuel cans so that should be good and we will most likely be moving a bit slower so my mileage will go up a bit once on gravel.
    [​IMG]

Which will look something like this when mounted.....I have to steal the other mount off the Adventure tomorrow. :cry
    [​IMG]

I think I have a handle on it now but thanks for the offer.

Dorito helped me get a bunch of things done on the HP2 tonight so I feel WAAAAYYYY better than I did last night about this whole deal. I need to get the tires in and mounted change the lube in the final drive, and I would like to install one more power port which I have but just haven't gotten around to installing...no time like the present. :D Space will be a bit more cramped with the HP2 but Dorito has Jesse cases which are pretty darrn big so I think we will be good to go.
  12. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:

B4 is gonna love it. You'll have a great time. Don't sweat the small stuff. Remember: It's all small stuff.
  13. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Actually its about time she earns her keep around here or she will need to move on. :deal Your dead on about sweating the small stuff...sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride is what I need to be doing. Hopefully Marty and Keith can help me out with that concept. :D Actually I have always thought that this ride and the Trans Lab are the perfect rides for this bike.....but the Adventure was a sure thing...until now.
  14. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    stolen from a ride report - we should keep this in mind

We’d often leap-frog each other throughout the day taking photos, biohazard breaks and setting our own pace. Kept down the dust inhalation for mammals and motorcycles alike, as well as providing each of us with our own individual experiences of the trip. Sometimes that aspect can be lost in group trips, but thankfully not here.
  15. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of someone riding ahead to set up a photo op.

I'm planning to bring my digital camera.

Is anyone photogenic on this trip?
  16. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    my mother always told me I was as cute as a button:D
  17. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I bought a tripod mount for my GoPro. You might consider something like that.
  18. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    My human is not so "cute as button", but I am a shutter bug. I am paying a huge space bogie to schelp the Micro 4/3rds digital with the huge nose. Blaster is bringing the go-pros.
  19. blaster11

Oddometer:
    And my typical point and shoot which will be velcroed to the top of my tank bag, so I usually get 50 to 60 photos a day.
  20. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    my p&s will be in my jacket pocket for easy access. I like to stop for lots of photo ops - on the order of 20-30 per day