SoMD Adventure riders do James Bay/Trans Taiga (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Feb 2, 2013.

1. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    It looks like I 'need' to drive to Detroit this weekend so I won't be able to make it Sunday am for trip planning.

I'm happy to help in anyway with planning. Just can't make it Sunday.

Keith
  2. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  3. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Keith...are you riding a GS or a GSA?
  4. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    R1200gs 2007
  5. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  6. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
  7. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Guess you get more out of a tour if you understand the language!

Thanks for the heads up.
  8. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I am not sure how much Dana or Marty are going to carry but since I am riding the GSA and have almost 10 gallons of fuel I won't be carrying any extra. Dana has gotten, if I recall correctly, almost 240 miles on her tank. Now I don't know if the F700 that Marty still has the EPA gas neck thing in the tank but that is worth quite a few miles extra when pulled out.
  9. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done no mods to the gas tank.
    I am planning on carrying 2 one gallon rotopax but am concerned that will not be sufficient fuel if the gas pump at the end of Trans-taiga is not open. Hopefully they will know at Mirage.
    My gas mileage is about 50mpg on the highway since that is most of what I do. The computer shows 70 when I am going 30/35. It will be a crap shoot.

There is a potential that a two gallon aux tank will be avail through the parallel twin thread at the end of the month. my hope is that I can get one and get it installed before we leave.
  10. blaster11

Oddometer:
    When we were doing the Tran Lab I think once we got our gravel legs under us we were pretty consistent at about 45 to 50MPH conditions permitting, so gas mileage should be pretty good if it is similiar.
  11. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Marty, Not sure of how you have your rotopax set up, but your welcome to borrow my 3 gallon and mount if you need it.
  12. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
    Marty, you are welcome to mount a 2 gallon pegpacker in place of a passenger's foot peg as well. Alternatively if it looks like fuel will be a concern I'm happy to carry both empty and fill/carry fuel as needed.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, my Trans-Taiga trip is definitely 100% canceled this year. I thought I may have been able to squeeze enough time to do it, which it turns out I would be able to... But only if I left in a couple days... and stupid me was going through everything including my passport, and out fell my speeding ticket I got last year in Canada that I still haven't paid. I called New Brunswick to take care of it, and found out I couldn't pay it over the phone or internet; it had to be by snail mail. I asked about going to Ontario and Quebec (ticket was in New Brunswick) and was told in no uncertain terms not to try and cross the border until after it is paid and I receive notification in the mail saying that it was indeed paid. Boy, I really shot myself in the foot this time! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your ride report though.

Anywho, since the discussion came up, what I did for fuel planning in the event that the Caniapiscau float plane base wasn't operating was to buy an MSR Dromedary Bag. I had enough fuel in my tank and other fuel storage for everything except Mirage to Caniapiscau and back. If the float plane base was open, no problem, I'd never use the bag, and it packs very small. If it wasn't open, I had a bag that would hold six liters. It's made for water, but there are countless posts on advrider of guys successfully using these for fuel. Plus, the materials that the bag is made out of (that would come into contact with the fuel) are all used in approved fuel storage containers. I figured if I had to use it, I'd strap it on top of one of my rotopax, and then use it to refill my tank first. So, realistically, I'd only be using this bag to store fuel for about 70-90 miles or so.
  14. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave and Keith but I think I will go with the MSR Dromedary plan.
  15. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    We are doing the section of dirt from Chibougamau, QC to Forestville, QC. If the statement about red tracks is correct, I don't think we'll need any VTT/ZEC/FQSQ passes. Anybody know for sure?

[​IMG]

16. keithmckenney

Oddometer:
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Looks like the average temps for the time of year we are going, in the Radisson area, highs of about 60 to 62 degrees and the average lows about 48 to 50 degrees. But it does appear that their record lows are in the low 30's and record highs are only low 80's....just something to think about when packing. :D
    Oh, and the potential for precipitation seems to be about 25% on average daily basis.

All the tires are in, both Dorito and I are running TKC 80's on front and Heidi K60's on the back.
  18. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    5 years ago I did the Radisson ride. We rode back to Matagami in the rain - what a long miserable day and was ever so thankful for a hotel reservation.
  19. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it might be cheaper to get a month-month SIM card for Canada. Anyone have a thought for a provder which is compatible with Apple iPhone and has international calling mins with data?

I do realize that a some areas will be too rural for any provider, but thought I would give it a shot.
  20. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Frickin crap.....only 41 days until launch, I got some serious work to get done.