1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

some of my trips in the Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kuyaoli, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    short intro:

Here some info about me:

Name: Oliver
    Living in the Philippines at the moment
    hot moistured climate, no need for heated hand guards ;D

Loving trailing, touring, back rode rides, Off road, river crossings and so on...

Bike history:
    1982 KTM Bora 25
    1982 Batavus 25
    1983 Yamaha DT 80 MX
    1995 Kawasaki EN500
    2001 Honda XLR200
    2007 Honda XR200R
    1999 BMW R850R in 2007
    2008 Honda XR200R
    2006 Harley Davidson Fatboy

Recent Bikes:
    2008 Honda CRF230L (since Feb. 2009)
    ordered a 2009 Suzuki DR650SE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am riding Off Road since the age of 16 with my Yamaha DT and I loved it a lot, so I came back to Off Road when I moved to the Philippines. It is always warm here. Ok, when I was younger I did not care about cold or warm climate I was riding all the time. But since I am not the youngest any more I prefer the warmer climate.

Unfortunately I do not use my Harley very often anymore, I might sell it soon, and right now I am planing to buy a Suzuki DR650SE, as I guess my favourite is the adventure riding.

Here in the Philippines I belong to a group of MX Bikers, MX Purebyk Motorcycle Riders Club http://mxpurebyk.multiply.com/

We do a lot of trailing and touring with friends, partner and family. Sometimes I also go on solo rides.

The biggest bikes you can buy in a motorbike shop here in the Philippines is the Honda XR200R, there is no bigger bike available from whatever brand you can imagine. If you want to ride a bike above 200cc, you have to import it or find somebody to import it for you or buy a used bike which was imported. The problem the imported bikes are really very expensive, due to the tax and shipping.

Here are a few links with pictures of recent rides:

My latest solo tour, great pictures, lot of fun
    http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161727

A supposing easy trail which indeed was a hard trail
    http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156019

A nice three day tour with a group of mixed people, young, older and also a girl, a great adventurous tour
    http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156239&page=8

A group tour
    http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154950

Another group tour
    http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156892
  2. Banks

Banks Yes it is CRF 250 X

Oddometer:
    We should do Laos together with Bernard.
    I am planning two to three weeks in the Philippines with my son end of July.

I will contact you later in the year to get your advise on how to do it. Take an organised tour or rent bikes and do it yourselve.

Or you can come over to Cambodia. ( last trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434956 ). The photos will take some days to be available.
  3. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    both is possible to rent bikes and go alone or have a guided tour, there is actually a guy, also a member of ADV, who rents bikes in Dumaguete on Negros and organizes great Off road tours, only with two people it might be expensive.

We can discuss a tour later on.

As for Laos with Bernard, yes this May/June or so. He he he

Cambodia is also on my wish list for riding but not so soon, maybe next year or in the end of this year or so...
  4. China_huangmaomao

China_huangmaomao n00b

Oddometer:
    125CC Motor is most of more in China.and 70cc 90cc 110cc 125cc 150cc and so on.

I admire you,In China.My one year's pay can't buy a honda cb400,and most of people had rather buy a car unwillingly buy a motor....:norton .

Certainly I'm a motor fans ,i love travelling by motor..........:clap
  5. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same here. But we get a few 200 CC and such but big bore bikes are indeed needed.
  6. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Just sent you a pm Kuyaoli , Cheers Toddy
  7. Banks

Banks Yes it is CRF 250 X

Oddometer:
    I hear from a guy who is now in Pakistan that Palawan is very beautifull and good for an off road holiday ?
  8. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He he he, yes Frank is now in Pakistan, the poor guy. Yes Palawan is great, but really far off the track and also aside from Puerto Princessa, the capital of Palawan, their is not much. Of course it is great to ride their, lots of dirt roads, and if it is raining a lot of muddy roads.

But it is hard to bring the bikes over to Palawan as it takes a while by boat. There are some more nice rides in the country to do aside from Palawan.
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the links kuyaoli...those pics make me want to take a vacation and do some riding there.

i used to ride a 350xl during my younger years there in mla. i've been away for 25 years. been doing a lot of riding here in california. check out my signature.

congrats on the dr650. i think this is the best ds bike around with electric start and reasonably priced. of course it's a lot more there.

my bro owns a couple of honda dealership (l.a. honda) there in greater mla and maybe he can get me an electric start xr400 as a dealer's sample...:lol3 when i go on vacation.

joel
  10. emulzhn

emulzhn free from crutches

Oddometer:
    awesome rides there....
    I can only dream but maybe someday organize a trip....
  11. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. globalvisions

globalvisions thefreedombiker.com

Oddometer:
    hello everyone. I know this is an old thread. I have just spent 4 months touring Indonesia on my KLR650 that I shipped in from the States. I plan to go to Manadao, Indonesia and attempt to ship my bike to the port in Mindinao, Philippines. Does anyone know if this has been done? Cheers
  13. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can not bring a bike easily into the Philippines, not even for a limited period of time. There will always be TAX to be paid in the niveau of 100 to 130 percent of the new price of the bike.

Many have tried and many more have failed. The only way you can bring in a bike is if you have a very good contact in the Philippines who will bring in the bike but still you need to register the bike in the Philippines to be able to ride it.

As I said many have tried but as many have failed. Especially for a limited time you have to rent a bike. Sorry bro.
  14. worldtrailsasia

worldtrailsasia Enduro Instructor

Oddometer: