1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Some positive press for the BV350

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Bueller, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have re-used the variator nut several times without issue, but when I decided to replace it wouldn’t you know it galled the threads when it came off. I had to do a lot of filing and clean up work.

if you re-use it, some blue locktite probably isn’t a bad idea.
    eakins and MrVvrroomm like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My local dealer said his computer said that nut was back ordered till November.

I got one online. If anyone is planning a belt change soon, you might want to order parts sooner than later.
    Bueller likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've got Dr Pulley 15g sliders coming.
    My plan is to open it back up, install the sliders and go over the rear again.
    I'll pull the rear wheel too.and check and retorque everything.

Motul 300 75-90 gear oil is going in.
    That's SW prefered oil so I'll.eliminate that unknown
    Bueller likes this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    A few people on MV have said theirs clunks on hard accel, others said no.

One guy said his dealer took it all apart and retorque plus new oil so that's the plan
    Bueller likes this.
  5. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of completing the 24,000 mile service on my BV350. I previously ordered both O-rings and grease seals so I could service the driven pulley (Piaggio calls it the Torque Server). The only problem is it appears the pins are pressed in to the inner pulley half. With the pins being pressed in, there is no way to remove them without destroying them. Therefore the pulley halves cannot be separated and the grease seals cannot be replaced without buying $35 worth of pins and rollers. Stupid, and even more stupid is the fact that they sell the grease seals.

Instead I cleaned and repacked the pins and cavities with moly grease and reassembled it. If the grease seals ever fail I will make a decision about buying a new pulley assembly or ordering new pins.
  6. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I rode the BV over 200 miles yesterday. With the torque server re-greased, a new polini air filter a new rear tire and all of the other parts of the 24,000 mile service complete it is running better than ever. I believe it is well documented that the early BV’s like mine weren’t the most trouble free bikes, and I’ve certainly had more than my share of issues to deal with. But at this point I’m hoping that’s all behind me.
    eakins and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  7. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Whether it's all behind you is unclear, but the more you have done on the scooter the more you understand how it works, and at some point it begins to speak to you as issues develop. That makes problem solving more pleasant. So far I find Piaggio Beverly series scooters to be a bit frustrating at times, but when they are right they are very, very good.

I just don't understand why they use so many different sizes and types of fasteners to hold it all together. A little uniformity would make repair work so much smoother.
  8. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Aside from the comparative difficulty of removing the pet carrier compared to other bikes, I don’t really find the BV to be all that difficult to work on. And you’re correct, it’s a wonderful bike!
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    The aprilias have the same bevy of assorted fasteners. Perhaps it's an Italian design feature:jack.
    Wentwest likes this.
  10. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Finally replaced the battery today. 7 years, 9 months and it was still working, but I noticed cranking voltage was dropping. Since I can’t push start the BV when the battery fails I decided It was time.

I scoured amazon, wanting to replace the factory Yuasa battery with another Yuasa. But there were numerous reviews over the last couple of years indicating they are not the rock solid batteries they used to be. That may or may not be true, but the highest rated battery in that size was a Mighty Max for $30 shipped instead of $64.00 for the Yuasa. There were almost 500 reviews. Since batteries of multiple brands are made in the same factories I figured I’d try it.

So far so good. Hope it lasts!
    RobG. likes this.
  11. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    It only has to last 3 years 11 months and you are a winner!
    Bueller likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've seen that on MV and in Robots video.
    Basically buy a new driven pulley is the solution.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Installed 15g Dr Pulley sliders today, awesome!!! Transformed my MP3 and now BV. SIP has them.

Ebay holding tool and cheater.
    Worked great.

Clutch Engagement noise is less but there is still some there. Fresh Motul 300 gear oil in the rear.

The driven pulley shaft has a little play but seems similar to Robots after he changed out that bearing and seal. Guess it's going to rock a little. Probably will replace next belt time. Probably that bearing in the cover to that supports the driven so it's all fresh.

Might just get a new driven pulley too at the same time. The sliders should last thru several belts from what I've read.

Even after 1000 mi the oil was getting dark so those clutches are hard on oil.

Going to pull of the wheel next to confirm it was put together right.

Really got the technique down to work on it all.

20200916_195633.jpg
    Bueller likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So guys...that lower tab on the inner air filter plastic assy that is just in the way of easily removing the belt cover.

WTF is that engineer thinking?

Do you remove that small corner so the air filter can go untouched or is that a forced thing to check the filter at the same time?
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Motocross is the same Yuasa just cheaper house brand.

Any battery still needs an initial prep and top up charge no matter if it's "pre charged".
  16. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to say that Robot is a saint. Wrenching on bikes stresses me so it's great having videos to refer to. I have my 1st belt change comming up in about 1000 miles and I'm already not looking forward to it. I've done it on other scooters but on the 1st change I always have trouble getting the variator nut off.
    eakins likes this.
  17. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I just push up on the filter housing a bit. Doesn’t seem to be a problem.
    eakins likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I have a Ryobi 18v 1/2" impact gun.
    Harbor Freight has these tools too.

Lithium impact guns are the game changer to work on these scoots!

That driven pulley bolt and variator nut come on in a second, nothing needs to be held.

Get that eBay variator holding tool, a pipe extension and a big 1/2"torque wrench and the job is very easy to reinstall.

On the rear cover bolt I find just 1 long 1/4" extension in the rear hole hold the rear pulley.so you can torque that bolt to 55lbs. Easy.

Another option is a very large u bolt then bent at 90 degrees, but my method worked.

Get a belt kit and new variator nut!
    tastroman likes this.
  19. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    The older 500cc Master engines and the engine in the BV250 have similar interference with the airbox. If you loosen the bolts holding the lower edge of the whole box, there are 2 of them, the box will wiggle enough to get the cover off. If you unscrew them the inner fender flops loose and it is a nightmare getting the whole thing lined up again, so don't do that.
    eakins likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The hardest part of the job was getting the belt down into the rear pulley enough so there is slack up front so you are not bolting the variator plate into the belt.

The rear pulley twists some and open so slip in the belt. It's hard to do so a helper is key here.

I get it in started and keep working it.
    Then I find lightly tapping the belt it with a soft tool drives it in more.

The deeper you can get that belt in the rear pulley the easier it is to install the variator pulley, washers and nuts.

I get the nut started on then quickly snug it with my impact tool again. You're not going to over torque it.

Then I check to see if I'm pinching that belt and move it around in there. It stays locked deep in at the back.

I then hit the nut again more with the impact and then pull out the holding tool and torque wrench for a final tight. It needs alot so having that cheater pipe in place is the key move.

I've done it 2x now.
    tastroman and Wentwest like this.