1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Some positive press for the BV350

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Bueller, Aug 21, 2018.

1. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 3 scooters I've owned in my time have all had harsh suspensions (Honda, Daelim,Piaggio).
    Bueller likes this.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rolled over 20,000 miles yesterday. I have a new ‘19 Xmax on order for traveling and winters down south, but I will keep the BV for more local riding and as a ride for guests.

Since my last post I have replaced the thermostat and the fixed variator half (broke a fin). The thermostat part was superseded to a new part that causes the engine to run a bit cooler. Gas mileage has suffered some as a result, but it continues to run like a champ!
  3. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a very low-mileage '16 Burgman 650 for the girlfriend and I to ride two-up, after selling my F700GS a couple of months back. Been thinking of selling my '16 BV350, as it's now sort of redundant. Trouble is, the BV350 is so light and flickable compared to the Bargeman...er...Burgman 650. The power of the BV350 is addicting too. I guess I could have worse problems ;-)
    kpinvt, Wentwest and Bueller like this.
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just retired my commuting scooter (2007 Daelim S2 250 with 46,700 miles) and have moved my BV 350 garage queen to full time year round commuting duties. We'll see how it holds up.
  5. Bueller

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    That's what it's for.
    Bueller and tastroman like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Bought a 2016 today with 10K miles for a good price.
    What should I be looking at doing asap? No history, dealer trade.

5d3485632d9f78702a1ab5d1.jpg
    PullingG's, Bueller and kpinvt like this.
  8. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been looking for one for a while and found a nice 2016 but it's 4.5 hours away. Need to decide if I want to drive 9+ hours for a scooter.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Mine is several states away, but I've traveled all over the US for what I want. BFD. Go for it!
    kpinvt likes this.
  10. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Nothing “ASAP”, but you might consider a coolant and brake fluid replacement at some point. You’ll be due for a belt and rollers at 12,400 miles along with an oil & filter change.

On the earlier models there were some hose clamps that would leak at the radiator, thermostat or water pump housings. A lot of folks replaced the crimp clamps with worm clamps. My ‘13 has 22,000 miles on it and hasn’t had a problem. Lastly, spark plug cap failure has happened to some, so many folks carry a spare. I carry a spare but have never had a failure.

It is a great scooter. Between it and my much newer Xmax, I still tend to ride the BV350 more.
    eakins likes this.
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the belt/rollers haven't been changed then do that and an oil change but probably can wait a couple thousand miles.
    eakins likes this.
  12. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say, the usual for a used bike with an unknown past. That means all fluid changes (oil, brake fluid, coolant), valve check, good once over of important connectors (fuel, coolant, brakes) to look for loose or weeping connections and finally, check out your belt just in case. That said, if everything looks ok and it runs ok, you might wait for the winter months. THat's a judgement call. Oh, tires. Your 2016 isn't old enough to worry much about tire age, but it's still good to look them over for cuts, nails and even cracking (hot, smoggy climates or parking by electric appliances can accelerate the aging process - supposedly electric motors create ozone?)

I bought a low mileage '09 Vespa this spring and have just been running it (aside from a carb clean). It was a private transaction so I did speak with the previous owner and all fluids (air cooled) looked brand new. I'll be dropping a new belt and tires on it soon.
    eakins likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I've got a few 1000 miles on the belt still.

So stock, malossi or other rollers, or Dr Pulley sliders?

Will my Mp3 400 Buzzeti holding tool work on this variator and if not which one?
  14. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I have continued to use stock rollers. I don't think it's the cheapest solution, but the BV works so well out of the box I haven't seen any reason to mess with it. Don't know about the holding tool. I probably should make or buy one. So far I've used a rubber strap wrench around the outer circumference of the fixed variator half.
    eakins likes this.
  15. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my Milwaukee cordless impact. It will spin the nut right off.
    kpinvt and eakins like this.
  16. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I have compressed air and lots of tools at home. I just purchased a cordless impact last winter. Both are great for disassembly, but I believe in torquing that nut to spec instead of hammering it tight.
  17. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't assemble anything with an impact.
  18. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Some of us enjoy the hunt for the perfect ride, almost more than the ownership of a very, very good ride. That's because we (I) are crazy. It's the only explanation for the compelling need to try different rollers or sliders, or a belt. Here we are, loving the BV, and at the same time trying to find the ultimate modification. Until you've gone thousands of miles on a bike you just plain don't know enough to make any real changes. If it works well for you when you get it, keep it that way until you have a lot of experience with it. I pay attention to what @cdwise writes about her rides, because she spends a lot of time on the road and pays attention to the machine as well as the scenery. My riding is all local, fighting traffic and beating through jammed freeways and busy surface streets, and my needs are different, but her insight is helpful.

My feeling is that Piaggio designed the Vespa for style and grace, the Scarabeo for sport and handling, and the Piaggio line for the commuter who has to get to work and shopping and wants reliable steady performance and luggage carrying ability.
  19. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Then what do you use to hold the variator when you torque the crank nut down? That’s when I’ve been using a strap wrench
  20. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I’m at 22,000 miles and still have no desire to monkey with the stock variator setup. The BV accelerates faster than many cars and will cruise at 75 all day long. I would tune the variator if I needed something such as better off the line acceleration or a few more mph top speed, but this scooter has exceeded my performance expectations from day one. My only complaints center on some quality issues, like the corroded core plug in the head I replaced or when the center stand decided to spontaneously morph into a two piece design at 55 mph.
    The Virginian and Tromper like this.