1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Some positive press for the BV350

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Bueller, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 BV500 that my father-in-law bought new. He rode it to Denver back in '09, but lost his license (he's 90) and gave it to me. It had an issue with over-charging that I solved with a new voltage regulator and a bigger battery. Out of five bikes it's my driest ride and my wife likes it best for two-up. Great performance, over 55mpg, lots of locking storage, and easy maintenance make it my town bike of choice. However, if they have AmeriVespa in an interesting location, I may have to make a trip on it...
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    BV350, what engine oil do you guys like?

15w-50 right? Motul 7100 is my go to but harder to find. Redline has a Moto oil in that weight. SW has Ago/Eni available.

With the wet clutch in this motor am I using a synthetic Moto oil or is there something unique needed?
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    What about rear oil weight and what to use?
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no wet clutch in the engine. Use a quality 15 w 50 (Or 10 w 50) that meets the specs.

The gearcase oil is the oil that contacts the clutch. I used the weight Piaggio recommended, I think it was 80/90 but I can’t remember.
    eakins likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I read up some more about how that works. The clutch is bathed in the rear oil.

I'm going to use MT-90 back there
    https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

And in the motor some Maxima Extra 4 or Amsoil 15w-50. Motul 7100 is my go to but hard as hell to find.

How about needing new washers and o-rings each change?
  6. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I re-use them, but I am able to do so because I don’t over-torque the drain plugs.
    eakins and MrVvrroomm like this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I helped put a few miles on that now-famous scooter.

It was a fun, if busy, two day ride.

I enjoyed every minute.

Bill

IMG_6834.JPG
    On one of the many bridges heading to Key West.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Getting the scoot all setup.
    Runs smoother with some fresh 7100 in her belly. De stickered the Akra.
    Heading up over Rocky Mtn NP tommorow to Steamboat.

20190829_132556.jpg
    Bueller and The Virginian like this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So where to go to discuss technical on this specific machine?

MV is kinda hit and miss for BVs, mostly miss since it does not do a dedicated BV forums. Great for my MP3 however.

Aprillia forum is thin on 350 threads too.
  10. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if you Go a huge t further wear to Breckenridge let me know. I'll stand you a beverage.
    eakins likes this.
  11. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on a BV350 when i was pondering my next scooter and settled for the small banana boat. The BV was surprisingly heavy, solid even, and tall so it felt like a motorcycle. You could take that as a criticism or you could take it as a positive feature depending on what you are looking for in a ride. I went with the Baby Burgman as I wanted a ride suitable to my restricted neighborhood in the Keys ( that's the Channel Five bridge above, by the way, between Islamorada and Layton/Long Key with the scooter heading south). I think the BV would be a great ride if you think of it as a small motorcycle, higher performance less storage and very ease to use like all scooters are thansk to the blessings of CVT.
    There. For what it's worth my ridiculously uninformed opinion. Oh and I think they look rather good, unlike the old agricultural Aprilia Scarabeo 500s that looked like a design winner from East Germany 1969.
    [​IMG]
    Wentwest and Bueller like this.
  12. Bueller

Oddometer:
    That’s a good question. I’ve searched MV when needed. Not a lot here either. I can’t decide if that means it’s just a solid scooter without many problems, or if that means there aren’t a ton of them out there - though I know it’s a popular scooter in Europe.

Though I’ve not rebuilt an engine or gearbox on one, I’ve done quite a bit to mine. If you have a question throw it out there and I’ll try to help!
    eakins likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to modify the stock brake levers so the are closer to the grips?
  14. Bueller

Oddometer:
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Conch, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. As a BV 350 owner I've always liked the looks of the 500 Scarabeos.

I've only owned 250cc scooters prior to getting a BV and the thing that sets it apart from my previous 250's is that it's significantly faster. It's the first scooter I've owned that will hold an honest 65mph. My last 250 weighed 365lbs and the BV comes in around 400. Are an extra 35lbs worth that interstate capability, that's up to you but in my case the answer is a resounding hell yeah. It's no sport bike but it's comforting not having the speedometer needle slowly drop every time I hit a long grade.
    Wentwest likes this.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of the Scarabeo LE but find the GT pictured above too chunky.
  17. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I have a BV250, and it's completely different from a small wheel low body scooter. The CH250 in my avatar is very low feeling even though it is a sit up straight position. When I switch from one to the other there's a period of adjustment. I'd rather push the Honda around, and taking it off the center stand is very easy, but for freeway confidence the BV wins, no question. Different tools for different jobs.

So far repair and maintenance on the BV has been ok, but to me there is more fussing around to get to the place where you can do whatever it is you need done. The body work is woven together so you really are forced to take most of it off to do much. On the Honda the light color side covers come off easy and they uncover most of the routine and regular maintenance pieces. My next job on the BV is to refresh the suspension and motor mount bushings and replace the silent bloc, and that looks like a complicated job. It was pretty straight forward on the Honda.
    tastroman likes this.
  18. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes the 500 !ight looks much better than the touring version shown.
  19. Shirker

Shirker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BV350 and yesterday took it on a 400 mile loop of slab, 2 lane and mountain roads, temps from 59 to 99. Outstanding and now that I have a spare liter fuel bottle I don't mind seeing the warning light so much on 150 mile fills.
    I'm stiff today, but that has more to do with my 74 years than the scoot's fault.
    Highly recommended.
    HandKPhil, pmillar, Wentwest and 3 others like this.
  20. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    And after 7500 miles my rear stock Michelin City Grip is toast. That's the most miles I've gotten out of a tire to date. I replaced it with a Shinko so we'll see how long a cheaper tire goes. YouTube videos made the tire change look easier than it was. The rim came off the bike fine but getting the tire off the rim sure tested my patience.
    Wentwest likes this.